Need help picking GPU for new build

Happybikini

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: a few months

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming (WoW, SC2, crysis, bioshock 1 & 2, RCT3), internet browsing, media

SYSTEM SPECS: HAF 922 case, Core i7-950, 6 GB G.Skill RAM

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS:not a concern

BUDGET: up to ~$500 but would prefer to save $

PARTS PREFERENCES: none

OVERCLOCKING: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1200

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Looking to run maxed crysis w/ AA decently (if this is realistic given my other specs).

I had started out wanting to buy a 5970, but then began thinking that it would be overkill for just a single 1920x1200 monitor. There seem to be a slew of options, including 5870, 6970 or 6850/6870 in CF. Which option would suit me best.

^exactly.. Ask when you need it.. A few months is a lot of time.. I don't believe there will be any new product launches though.. But surely, the current available cards will get better cooling setups via manufacturers and the prices will be different.. Any recommendations made now will surely not stand even for another month or so..

studioman22

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009

Well, I noticed you didn't post your MB spec, and it appears you are not considering GTX 570. If your board won't support SLI, then cool, that's that. But if it will, after long hours of reading, research, and comparisons I went with an EVGA GTX 570 for a client build, and tested it real world with Black Ops and BC2 @1920 x 1080. I can confirm that with just one single 570 I was able to achieve 35+ FPS on both games at MAX settings @1920 x 1080. Or at least so says Fraps. And I mean MAX!

There is nothing quite like seeing Black Ops on some of those jungle scenes at that res, on a 65" Mitsu DLP, with everything set to max, and still fluid smooth! BC2 looks awesome too, but BO still has the edge. And this was under Direct X 9c. I can only guess they would look even better under DX 10 or 11- but I haven't jumped on the Windows 7 bandwagon yet, so I don't know.

Regardless, at this point in time, GTX 570 is a must consideration as a sweet spot for higher end cards. Two in SLI would be just sick. And this is coming from an avid ATI/AMD user. 90% of the cards I have put in end up being ATI. But this 570 has impressed me for sure. And if you want the best, EVGA is tough to beat.