Trouble powering on

Jim54

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2011
I just finished building a system for my son. Here are the details:

.Motherboard: MSi p67A-C43
.CPU: Intel i5-2300 (not unlocked)
.RAM: Corsaire xms3 2x2GB DRR3 (total 4 GB)
.Chassis: Thermaltake V3 (VL8000 series)
.Power Supply: Thermaltake Purepower model HPC-420-102 DF (used... took it out of my old computer)
.Harddrive: Seagate Barracuda 7200 400GB (used... took it out of my old computer)
.CPU Fan: Freezer Pro 7 rev.

One quick before going into the real issue. One of the wires coming from the front panel is labeled "Power LED". The female connector has 3 holes. My motherboard only identifies 2 prongs on JFP1 as Power LED. I have tried connecting it anyhow and tried leaving that disconnected but still have the same problem. JPP2 has 1 prong identified as "Power LED".

OK, I put it together and pugged in the monitor and power cord. When I press the ON button, the LED to the chassis fan turns on and both the chassis fan and CPU fan turn on for less than a second then shut off. If I leave the power on, it cycles through this every few seconds but never makes a sound. The light on the CD Rom also flashes on and back of. The harddrive activation light stays off. Other that the sight fan noise, the system does not make any other sound.

I know that this is probably an impossible question for anyone to answer because I assume it could be almost anything but I will ask anyhow: What is going one?

Solution
Well, you are right, its not an easy thing to track down....but here is where I would say to start.
First does the case have the little speaker in it to hear the beeps?? If not you will need to get one and plug it in. Then confirm you got the extra power plug for the CPU connected (please dont be offended by this). After that if you still cant get it to boot pull everything off the MB except the cpu and start over, one part at a time plug in one ram module and try booting, if it goes then try the second and see if it boots then, could easily be bad ram, but then again it could be a bad PSU, sometimes moving old parts into a new build can shake things loose and kill it.

Overall it obvious that something is failing the POST and if you do...

Deadstick50

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Well, you are right, its not an easy thing to track down....but here is where I would say to start.
First does the case have the little speaker in it to hear the beeps?? If not you will need to get one and plug it in. Then confirm you got the extra power plug for the CPU connected (please dont be offended by this). After that if you still cant get it to boot pull everything off the MB except the cpu and start over, one part at a time plug in one ram module and try booting, if it goes then try the second and see if it boots then, could easily be bad ram, but then again it could be a bad PSU, sometimes moving old parts into a new build can shake things loose and kill it.

Overall it obvious that something is failing the POST and if you do what i suggested one part at a time you should be able to find it. Good luck, and I hope this helps you sort it.

Regards, Dead

Solution

Jim54

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2011

Yes, it does have the little speaker and it is plugged in but it does not make a sound.

CPU extra power plug: You are actually right on target. My PSU did not have a plug for that. Yesterday, I took care of that with a new PSU. The problem has changed a little. When I click in ON button,

1. The fans start briefly; 3 of the 4 CPU LED status lights come on (from what I read this in normal); after a few seconds, the system shuts down
2. After another second, the system flashes back on but very quickly back off
3. After 4-5 seconds, the system comes back on and stay on, one of the CPU LEP lights comes on (cannot find any information about this), but nothing else happens. I have a monitor connected but other than the "so signal" message disappearing, nothing else happens on the monitor.

I will try your other suggestions. It is not an easy thing to do. My hands are not stable so it is hard to put the motherboard screws in :??:

Jim54

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2011
OH yes, one other think. When it is finally on and stays on, if I want to turn it off, I press and hold the power button and the system goes off but comes back on within seconds... like I clicked the reset. I do not even have the reset connected yet!

Jim54

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2011
Deadstick50, you were on target about the RAM! Apparently one of the two cards was not seated correctly. I removed the one, started the system and it worked!!! I replaced the second card and it worked again!!!!!!! Thanks :)

TRENDING THREADS