Annoying noise with Realtek on a Gigabyte mobo (AMD FX-4100 @3.6GHz)

BoMbO711

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
Hello,

Model Name : GA-78LMT-S2P(rev. 3.1)
--------------------------
M/B Rev : 3.1
BIOS Ver : F5a
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
VGA Brand : ATi Model : Radeon 3650 HD
CPU Brand : AMD Model : FX-4100 Speed : 3.6 GHz
Operation System : Win 7 64-bit SP :
Memory Brand : Kingston Type : DDR3
Memory Size : 2 GB Speed : 1333
Power Supply : 500 W

I just bought the above computer.

(FX-4100 CPU, 78LMT-S2P Motherboard & 2 GB Kingston DDR3 RAM)

The problem is that I seem to hear the CPU through my speakers. When idle, I hear lower frequency noises but when working on higher loads the frequency increases and the sound starts to be more and more annoying. Knowing that I have the latest version of BIOS (F5a) to be able to run my FX-4100 processor.

It's important to mention that I tried many alternatives and these were my conclusions:

1) The problem is NOT with my speakers as I tried them on many other applicances (Laptops, iPods & mobile phones) and they worked pretty well.
2) The problem is NOT a software problem as I installed the latest Realtek drivers but nothing happened.
3) When I choose to MUTE audio I can still here these noises which ensures that it's a hardware problem not a software one.

What could be my problem? Is it the sound card on the motherboard? Should I replace this motherboard with a new one?

Thank you very much,
Regards,
Mohamed

Welcome to Tom's Forum! :)

First, you're using a beta BIOS 'F5a' so I assume the problem was there before you updated the BIOS.

What you're describing is interference, and the interference can come from either poorly shielded speaker cables, or more often from a PSU and often associated with improper grounding or a grounding short. In addition, other drivers can cause similar issues; make sure the Chipset, LAN and SATA drivers are also up to date -> http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3833#driver

The latest Realtek drivers (R2.67 2011/12/16) can be downloaded here -> http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

BoMbO711

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
Thank you very much guys for your replies :)

Unfortunately, I did all software updates but in vain. Now I'm pretty sure that it's a hardware problem.

I believe that I only have two more things to do: Replacing the motherboard or the PSU.

Or you could get a Sound Card...basic ones are pretty affordable.

You can try changing the Realtek Control panel settings, and try increasing the sampling rates. I typically use the 'DVD' settings with the highest sampling rates.

BoMbO711

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
This was Gigabyte's reply to my query:

Dear Mohamed Tarek,

Thank you for your kindly mail and inquiry. About the issue you mentioned, we suggest you can first Load Optimized Default BIOS setting and update your OS. And then please click HERE to download the previous version Audio driver from our website and install it again.

Furthermore, please kindly test your system in a simple environment to verify the root cause :

Remove such as add-on cards, devices from motherboard, only install CPU, single memory, single HDD, VGA card and power, and make sure the components on the motherboard are installed properly. If there's nothing wrong in simple environment, try to install several additional cards into the slot one by one to observe the result again and again.

However, if the problem still occurs, a further testing or examination might be required. Since we are not possible to get your product, we suggest you to contact your supplier (where you purchased your product) and see if they can test your system directly.

At last, if you still have any further question or suggestion about our products/service, please do not hesitate to contact with us. We will try our best to help you resolve the problem ASAP.

Best Regards,
GIGABYTE

There's nothing wrong with their advice, they're trying to track down the problem by reducing the variables.

I/(we) assume you built your PC 'perfectly' and there are a potential of several 'electrical' and 'conflicts' that can cause your noise issue. Sure, it's a good idea to breadboard if simple common 'fixes' fail. In addition to Loading Optimized Defaults, in Window run MSCONFIG and select Diagnostic and reboot; this eliminates OS conflicts.

I mentioned assume -- if the PC is simple and built correctly then as mentioned often it's a PSU issue, but it too can be a MOBO issue. Your problem is rare and there are a few threads out there with several root causes -- most are either user building techniques and many are PSU in origin. It's a guessing game...

BoMbO711

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012

It was not useful to me in anyways. However, I do think that the problem is with the PSU, it produces some irritating sounds which may indicate that its lifetime may be over causing this noise or interference to occur.

BoMbO711

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!

I don't exactly know what solved the problem as I did three things at the same time:

1) Replaced the HDD's SATA cable with a new one that came with the motherboard
2) Replaced the power cable from the PSU (substituted between the HDD & the DVD-RW)
3) Changed the HDD & DVD-RW SATA sockets in the motherboard

Then I powered my computer on desperately having almost no hope....But IT WORKED! :D

Thanks Jaquith & o1die for your replies, thanks Tomshardware :)