Sign in with
Your question

New PSU for a GTX 460

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 27, 2010 8:16:11 PM

Hi,

I ordered a GTX 460 1GB from Newegg yesterday, should be here in a few days. Now I want to order a new PSU to power it. My current power supply is 500W Cooler Master eXtreme power plus which might be a bit weak for the set up (correct me if I am wrong)

Core i7 860 (currently stock 2.8 Ghz) with Corsair H50
4GB DDR3 1600 (soon to be 8GB)
MSI p55 GD65
WD Caviar Black 500GB
Win 7 Pro 64bit

I was thinking about Cooler Master Silent Pro 700w, my question is, based on my GPU how much headroom will it leave, for example can I do sli with another 460 in the future? But if you have better suggestions for PSU (at the same price) please share.

Thank you.

More about : psu gtx 460

December 27, 2010 9:00:02 PM

I don't know if your current PSU is good enough for the simple fact that sometimes Cooler Master has some pretty bad PSU's (look at the last PSU review over at HardOCP), but in principle it could handle a single stock GTX460.

Did you buy a stock or overclocked one ?

I'm using an Asus ENGTX460 DirectCU 1GB, and it needs 24A on the 12v rail; the minimum recommendation for a GTX460 1GB is a 450w power supply.

I have a Corsair HX 450w running it, but it's not a regular PSU: it's modular, 80plus bronze, professional series with a 7 year warranty.

If you want to SLI it, try buying the Corsair HX 750w. It's a 80plus Silver PSU, you won't get better than that.

It has better ratings on Newegg than the one you want to buy. And I read the first user review that comes up for that PSU and that user couldn't crossfire two 5850's with it, which means the PSU is not good enough and does not deliver the advertised capacity. a 5850 has a TDP of 151w; the GTX460 has a TDP of 160w, so there you go, pick up the Corsair: it's more expensive, but then again you get 80plus silver efficiency compared to plain 80plus (not even bronze), and you also get a much bigger warranty. Oh, and a PSU that actually delivers! 5 star rating against 4 star rating.
December 27, 2010 9:38:55 PM

I went for a stock GTX 460 (EVGA). As for the PSU, the one I have is 30A on 12v rail and 500w total, but like you said its not exactly the best quality PSU. The reason I was going for the Silent pro is I like the flat back modular cable design, corsair 750w modular costs 150$ after shipping but I guess you get what you pay for. Still more than I wanted to spend on a power supply but something to consider. Definitely need a modular psu, my case isnt that great with cable management (CM Storm Scout)
a b U Graphics card
December 28, 2010 12:39:09 AM

IMO, the PSU would be fine as long as you run everything on stock.
!