Ram for X58A-UD3R?

brsox88

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
Either I burnt it out and its slowly dieing or I have the voltages wrong. Eitherway, the ram I have isnt known to work very well with my mobo. So I am just looking to get something that has a lot of good reviews and good ram.

brsox88

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012

But of the memory I provided in the link which one should I use? Is there newer memory I should be using out of that list? Should I be focusing on just low voltage memory or timings?

I explained to you that you need a triple channel kit......the ones you listed are dual channel kits....I'll repeat, ANY triple channel ddr3-1600 kits will do. Corsair, Mushkin, G-skill, Patriot, Kingston are all good brands. 1.5v is what you should use. Cas9 (9-9-9-24) is the mainstream, you'll pay more for cas8 and even more for cas7. It's not necessary.

brsox88

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012

Yes, sorry about that. However, I meant like should I get the Ripsaw series, sniper series etc? I saw this that has v1.25, should I go with that? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231466

Or something like this that has low timing latencies? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226194

alrobichaud

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
Also, keep in mind the stock memory frequency of the integrated memory controller is 1066MHz so there is a chance that leaving the qpi/vtt(memory controller voltage)on 'auto' setting may cause your RAM to be unstable depending on how high you have the RAM clocked. Even though 1600Mhz is stock speed for the RAM it is a 66% overclock of the memory controller. I have owned that board with an i7 920 and had issues with trying to run RAM at 1600MHz and be stable. It is not a big deal but it would be nice if the companies that produce these products would tell you this initially to save troubleshooting. You may not have any issues at all but if you do then just run memtest 86 for a few hours and if you have any memory errors then go into the BIOS and find qpi/vtt and increase it by a notch or two above what the auto setting currently is and try memtest86 again. The max allowable qpi/vtt from intel is 1.355V. I did not have any problems with 6GB OCZ Gold 1866MHz on auto but 12GB 1600MHz G.SKill ripjaws required an increase above the auto voltage setting. Just some food for thought :)
I am not trying to hijack this thread but I am curious ,geekapproved, how do you find that game so far? I was a bit disappointed to find that a game that is supposed to be optimized for AMD really only works well with one gpu and won't allow me to use bezel adjustments in the game. I have twice tried to play it and so far I have only gotten a total of 20 minutes in before I shut it off. I found my self dying over and over again at the first batch of enemies which is strange since I am well versed in FPS games.