Sign in with
Your question

LOW FPS on 570gtx

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 28, 2010 12:22:34 AM

Hey

Well I just bought a 570 gtx, I previously had a 5850 video card.

As I type I barely see what im typing because the letters start to appear like 10 seconds later.

Problem is, whenever I start any game It loads super slow, and worst of all the games run at 10-15 fps...and with the 5850 I used to run certain games at 100fps+ and now not even at 20 fps.

What couyld be the problem?

Oh I also did a clean reformat to the pc, and problem is still here.

Specs:

Core 2 duo e8400 3.00 ghz
ddr2 ram 4ghz 800mhz
Intel classic motherboard

I don't think my pc setup is the problem, because with the 5850 I was running the games like butter.

So any helps would be appreciated.

Also I got a 700 watts power supply from OCZ and it has 72 amps convined in 4 rails(18 amps per rail). The videocard asks for 38 amps and I got currenlty installed 36 amps....shall I run it at 54 amps convined with 3 rails?

cheers

More about : low fps 570gtx

a b U Graphics card
December 28, 2010 1:06:10 AM

Tosen said:
Hey

Well I just bought a 570 gtx, I previously had a 5850 video card.

As I type I barely see what im typing because the letters start to appear like 10 seconds later.

Problem is, whenever I start any game It loads super slow, and worst of all the games run at 10-15 fps...and with the 5850 I used to run certain games at 100fps+ and now not even at 20 fps.

What couyld be the problem?

Oh I also did a clean reformat to the pc, and problem is still here.

Specs:

Core 2 duo e8400 3.00 ghz
ddr2 ram 4ghz 800mhz
Intel classic motherboard

I don't think my pc setup is the problem, because with the 5850 I was running the games like butter.

So any helps would be appreciated.

Also I got a 700 watts power supply from OCZ and it has 72 amps convined in 4 rails(18 amps per rail). The videocard asks for 38 amps and I got currenlty installed 36 amps....shall I run it at 54 amps convined with 3 rails?

cheers

if you are using current drivers and are sure thats not the problem, then try another psu if you can, It sounds like either a psu or gpu problem so if you can eliminate the psu from the possibilities, then you can determine if you have a faulty gtx 570 or not. Either that or try the gtx 570 on another system and see if you have similar results, if all else fails rma both, in the end an OCZ PSU (even though 700w) could be suspect..

best to have a psu with a single 12v rail with 52 amps, that way it is virtually impossible to hook up your gpu to anything but the 12v rail that it is supposed to be. Also it will be more then enough wattage and amps to power your rig and a gtx 570

I'm sure the specs on the ocz meet recomended specs but is the ocz psu 80+ certified, in the end there is really no telling for sure>? I would go with a name brand psu such as corsair, antec, seasonic, etc. of about 600-650W for your rig.

ps. What kind of 570 do you have?
m
l
December 28, 2010 1:27:22 AM

Thanks for the answer.

Maybe I answered myself a little in my question, because I had 36 amps on the videocard and it asks for 38...so now I got 3 rails into the videocard for a total of 54 amps, and now everything runs smooth.

The power supply is about 1.5 years old, and im planing on geting a new PC with the upcoming i5 series.

I will hear to your advice and buy a single rail dedicated for the video card...the videocard has 2 slots for cables is it ok to leave 1 alone?

I believe the psu is 80+ certified.

The brand is EVGA normal, not the superclocked one.

edit: Just opened a game and the fps fluctuate alot from 20 to 70(before I did the rail changes it was a constant 8 fps). But even before with the 5850 I was able to get 160 fps or so.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 28, 2010 1:34:32 AM

Tosen said:
Thanks for the answer.

Maybe I answered myself a little in my question, because I had 36 amps on the videocard and it asks for 38...so now I got 3 rails into the videocard for a total of 54 amps, and now everything runs smooth.

The power supply is about 1.5 years old, and im planing on geting a new PC with the upcoming i5 series.

I will hear to your advice and buy a single rail dedicated for the video card...the videocard has 2 slots for cables is it ok to leave 1 alone?

I believe the psu is 80+ certified.

The brand is EVGA normal, not the superclocked one.

edit: Just opened a game and the fps fluctuate alot from 20 to 70(before I did the rail changes it was a constant 8 fps). But even before with the 5850 I was able to get 160 fps or so.

yeah I cannot tell you specifically as I am not sure exactly how you have it hooked up or what connections your psu offers. However I would say that your power supply may be dying... When you can I would definatley upgrade your psu to a more reliable brand and such but I know they arent exactly cheap...

I just got an xfx 650w which is 80+ bronze certified, has modular cables, and 4 6 pin pci express plugs, it is amazing how quiet and efficiently it runs and I can tell you from expirience it was worth it because before that I had a no name 600w psu and my system was far from stable at times... in the end I broke down and spent the 90 bucks on newegg and it was well worth it.

you need to have power going to both video cards 6 pin inputs or the card will definatley not function properly if that is what you are talking about, but didnt you have a 5850? that shouldve taken 2 pci-express connections.. clarify if I'm missing your question..
m
l
December 28, 2010 1:38:57 AM

Well the 5850 asks for 36 amps and with 2 cables I had 36 and was more than enough for the videocard

With the 570 gtx, it asks for 38 amps and I had it connected with 36 amps, now I used a component it comes with the videocard box to join 2 rails + 1 normal rail to the videocard, making 54 amps of 3 rails combined.

And what's up with those PSU that come only with 1 +12v rail when the videocard accepts 2 +12v rails?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 28, 2010 1:41:34 AM

Can you specify exactly what was the PSU model you got? Plus, show also what was written on the specs (especially the total amps for 12v rail).
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 28, 2010 1:42:21 AM

Tosen said:
Well the 5850 asks for 36 amps and with 2 cables I had 36 and was more than enough for the videocard

With the 570 gtx, it asks for 38 amps and I had it connected with 36 amps, now I used a component it comes with the videocard box to join 2 rails + 1 normal rail to the videocard, making 54 amps of 3 rails combined.

And what's up with those PSU that come only with 1 +12v rail when the videocard accepts 2 +12v rails?

well as long as it is hooked up to proper amperage it should be okay on the psu end, with the single rail all the pci-express connectors come off that single rail, and therefore can only be hooked up the proper way, so hopefully you grab a psu that provides 2 6 pin connectors if you decide to go that route and it should be smooth sailing from that point forward.
m
l
December 28, 2010 1:56:32 AM

masterjaw said:
Can you specify exactly what was the PSU model you got? Plus, show also what was written on the specs (especially the total amps for 12v rail).

ocz stealth x stream 700 watts

it says +12v 18 amps rail 1...+12v 18 amps rail 2...and so on, for a total of 72 amps in 4 rails.

My core 2 duo e8400 is almost 4 years old....and I use the pc daily so it might be time to change the CPU or either get a new PC.

edit: 3 rails instead of 2 the pc is 100% more fluid, Im able to play gaes now, but im pretty sure the gpu is not working at it's 100%
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 28, 2010 2:00:54 AM

Tosen said:
ocz stealth x stream 700 watts

it says +12v 18 amps rail 1...+12v 18 amps rail 2...and so on, for a total of 72 amps in 4 rails.

My core 2 duo e8400 is almost 4 years old....and I use the pc daily so it might be time to change the CPU or either get a new PC.

yeah could be, is it running hot?? can you benchmark your cpu and see how it compares to other e8400 benchmarks?? If your temps are too high maybe its time to get a new cooler and reapply some artic silver but that all depends if your cpu is functioning properly to begin with or not. If the temps are too high I would reduce the overclock and get them in a manageable heat envelope.. hopefully its not shot but you will have to do some diagnostics to determine that.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 28, 2010 2:10:53 AM

That is wrong. The total values for all 12v rail indicated in the label is not necessarily the total amps for the whole 12v rail.

72 amps x 12v = 864w (completely false since that unit is only rated as 700w)

Those PSUs are quite notorious for being rated higher than its actual wattage. 700w might be its peak power but that won't necessarily mean it would deliver that much power. Check some reviews for that unit for more info.

Get a new and much more reliable PSU for you to run your GTX 570 properly.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 28, 2010 2:12:54 AM

^+1 a new psu is in order ocz is not a reliable brand from what ive heard as well
m
l
December 28, 2010 2:25:56 AM

I choose this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

As for amps:

Output +3.3V@25A, +5V@25A, +12V1@22A, +12V2@22A, +12V3@25A, +12V4@25A, -12V@0.8A, +5VSB@3.0A

On the first 2 +12v rails they say 22 amps, and the 3rd and 4th say 25 amps...will connecting the videocard to the first 2 rails(getting 44 amps) will be more than enough for the videocard(asks for 38 amps)?

The psu I think it's cheap, for $90.

It's 650 watts PSU that I will most probably be using it in January for a Core i5 setup(no overclocking).

Also installing a new psu needs reformat?
m
l
a c 147 U Graphics card
December 28, 2010 2:35:35 AM

Tosen said:
I choose this one:

Also installing a new psu needs reformat?

no, you don't need to. just pull out your current one from your system and replace it with the new one you bought
m
l
December 28, 2010 2:45:32 AM

Well, this might be more than you wanna spend, but I just put in one of the higher rated Cooler Master Silent Pro M800 Gold with an EVGA GTX 570 into a client rig.

Performance benchmarks @100% load here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/120v-desktop-power-s...

You have to strain or get very close to hear it work at all it is so quiet (in a CM Cosmos 1000 case). The PCI-e connectors are non modular, though it offers you a modular option for a second card. It is sweet, but pricey at around $159.00 on Newegg. I wanted to allow for a possible future SLI upgrade though, and client agreed. They ever need more graphics juice, another 570 and presto- they won't need to deal with another PS for years (hopefully).
m
l
December 28, 2010 6:39:31 PM

I believe I hit the nail

1) On nvidia3d settings select the game you want the maximum performance.

2) Select Max Performance on both game and global settings.

3) Turn off pc and turn it on again.

Vuala, im geting 240 fps on Call of Duty 4 opposed to the 20 fps...and yes looks like my videocard was using 2d clocks or something like that on games, cause internet browsing is sweet as pie.

On Spiderman shattered dimensions im geting sound problems, like I can't understand at all what they are saying.

However im not sure if that's all the problem...downloading black ops from steam just to test.

edit: nvm im geting 7 fps on Leaguf of Legends
m
l
!