WAN & LAN

kope00

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2010
Hello to community,
My laptop has Wi-Fi and Network adapter. Is it possible to setup Windows 7 to use Internet over Wi-Fi and in the same time (separately) LAN over the network adapter?

kope00

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2010
:??:
Excellent, but there is only one problem -> I don’t know how. If someone can give to me some advice it will be nice. I have ADSL modem (router) connected to switch, Wi-Fi router connected to same switch, also from this switch goes connection to 4 PC’s and laptop. I want to be able to use Wi-Fi connection on laptop only for internet and on same laptop to use LAN adapter for LAN.
Thanks’ in advance for any input

In theory, it's certainly doable. But I'm hesitant to explain further until I'm sure I understand the configuration, because based on your description, it *seems* overly complicated (over I’ve just misunderstood you).

[adsl modem+router](lan)<-- wire -->(lan)[switch](lan)<-- wire -->(wan)[wireless router]

I’m not sure if this is your intent, but this configuration is a bit odd. What we have are two different local networks, one behind the adsl modem+router, the other behind the wireless router (assuming they’re connected LAN to WAN, respectively, something you didn’t mention). Wired users on the adsl modem+router and switch have no access to the local network behind the wireless router. And wired and wireless users behind the wireless router are also double NAT’d, which greatly complicates firewall management. And now you have a laptop w/ wired and wireless connections that you somehow want to insert into this configuration.

Normally you would place the switch BEHIND the wireless router to add more LAN ports. Even better, reconfigure the adsl modem+router for "bridge mode" so that it's demoted to only a modem. Now you have just a modem and your wireless router. And if still want/need the switch, fine, throw it behind the wireless router.

[adsl modem (bridge mode)](lan)<-- wire -->(wan)[wireless router](lan)<-- wire -->(lan)[switch]

It’s not my intent to redo your network. For all I know, this all makes perfect sense based on some set of objectives you have. But it’s not clear to me what that is. As I said, as you’ve described it, it’s a bit odd. And that makes it difficult to recommend how you should fit the laptop into this configuration. Before I even begin to suggest a solution, let’s be sure we’re on the same page. What’s the intent here? Why the two local networks? Why the double NAT? Why the switch between the two local networks?

kope00

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2010
What I have is ADSL modem Huawei SmartAX MT882 – just one out, wireless TP-Link AP WA601G access point, and simple switch with 8 ports. So, really there is no other way to organize network (sorry for wrong input).
Primary problem is that I have audio streaming from laptop to outside server (internet radio). In case of file transfers from laptop to other comps in LAN there is sometimes interruption in streaming. I’m not shore, but probably that this problem will disappear if I can use Wi-Fi on laptop for streaming and wire connection from laptop for data transfer to LAN. Is it possible to setup this system to work on this way?

Well now we have a better picture.

[adsl modem (mt882)](lan)<-- wire -->(lan)[switch](lan)<-- wire -->(lan)[wireless ap (wa601g)]

However, it still raises a few more questions.

Your typical ISP limits home and small office users to one public IP. In order for more than one client on your network to have Internet access, you need a router. The router assigns itself the public IP on its WAN port, then creates a local IP network behind it (e.g., 192.168.1.x) and distributes local IP addresses using its own DHPC server (e.g., 192.168.1.100, 192.168.1.101, …).

But I don’t see a router in this picture. Granted, you don’t need a router if your ISP supports *multiple* public IPs, one for each client on your network. But if they don’t, then I’m puzzled. How are you sharing Internet access within this configuration?

I’ve also noticed the wireless AP (WA601G) supports its own DHCP server. Is this enabled or disabled?

If your ISP supports multiple public IPs, then it would make sense your own DHCP server was disabled. OTOH, if your own DHPC server is enabled, then there’s no guarantee which DHPC server, the one from the ISP or your own, responds first to DHCP requests from your clients, whether they’re connected to the wireless AP or the switch. IOW, it’s just pure luck whether they get a public IP from the ISP, or a local IP from your wireless AP!

This is why it’s so difficult to provide an answer based on the scant information in your original post, or even your most recent followup. In the networking world, it’s these small details that can make a huge difference. Something just doesn’t add up here. At least it’s not typical.

As I said before, it’s entirely possible this configuration works, but it requires a specific set of configuration settings for that to be the case. If your ISP is providing multiple public IPs and the wireless AP had its DHCP server disabled, that would be one valid example. In that case, *every* client, wired and wireless, would be on the public IP network. The trouble I’m having is I find that highly unlikely. So either I still don’t have the correct picture, or more likely, this configuration is just not right. And until it is right, making further modifications to the laptop is ill-advised (it might not even be necessary if the network can be configured properly).

G

hi,
I am new to this thread, I want to connect two computer. Is it necessary to have a LAN connection for that ? I heard some where that Two computers can be connected without LAN settings, Modem, etc by some kind of cross connection.

hi,
I am new to this thread, I want to connect two computer. Is it necessary to have a LAN connection for that ? I heard some where that Two computers can be connected without LAN settings, Modem, etc by some kind of cross connection.

Miley, you should really start your own thread. Using this one only creates confusion.

It's pretty simple. You run a standard ethernet cable between the two machines (you would only need a crossover ethernet cable if both machines were much older). You configure one machine’s TCP/IP configuration as IP = 192.168.0.1, mask = 255.255.255.0, and the other machine’s TCP/IP configuration as IP = 192.168.0.2, mask = 255.255.255.0. That's it. Now you can access each machine using their respective IP addresses.

Btw, to configure TCP/IP, go to a DOS prompt and type “ncpa.cpl” (no quotes) and hit Enter. Locate the network connection, right click, select Properties, select TCP/IP (IPv4) in the list box, select Properties, and you’ll see it’s probably set to “Obtain an IP address automatically”. Select the other option and set the IP and mask manually as I described above.

There are endless how-to articles on the Internet as well. Just search Google.

kope00

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2010
My ISP does not provide multiple IP’s. Both units (MT882 & WA601G) have internal routers and both of them have DHPC server enabled. Role for WA is (except for laptop) to provide connection for mobile phones (4 in the house). One additional condition is that laptop must to have static IP address. So, MT882 router creates local network behind 192.168.1.1 for LAN, 192.168.1.2 for USB connection off the same unit (not used) and 192.168.1.3 for WA601G. There are two more static IP addresses for laptop and for the printer. I hope now you have clear picture. In this moment wire connection of laptop have static IP (to provide port 1221 access over router firewall) and in same time laptop using WA for internet access. If I try to copy something from laptop (or to laptop) it goes thru WA which is not welcome because is slower (complete LAN is 1000Mbps).

I assume these are the manuals for your two devices.

http://filedb.experts-exchange.com/incoming/2008/08_w31/46705/SmartAX-MT882-V200R002C01B021.pdf
http://www.tp-link.com/support/toDownload.asp?url=%2Fenglish%2Fsoft%2F20091515618%2Epdf

While the MT882 is a router, the WA601G is NOT! The fact the WA601G has a DHCP server does not make it a router.

A router defines the boundary between disparate networks and helps you navigate between them. For our purposes, these are two ethernet networks, the one on the WAN side belonging to the ISP, and the one on the LAN side belonging to you. Most consumer grade routers also include a DHCP server, but that’s merely a convenience.

You have *two* DHCP servers on the SAME ethernet network. As I said before, it’s pure luck which DHCP server responds to any wired or wireless clients on your network. It may appear that it’s working most of the time, but that’s an illusion. I’m concerned you don’t appreciate the confusion you’re creating on your network. Someday this is going to come back and bite you!

As far as using both wired and wireless on the laptop, both connections would be using the same local network (192.168.1.x). Both would have the same gateway IP, so both could be used for Internet access. When Windows sees more than one way to access a resource (local or Internet), it always chooses the one w/ the highest priority (as defined under Network Connections->Advanced->Advanced Settings) and completely ignores the other. So having two connections is pointless.

The only way it would work is if the two connections were on DIFFERENT networks (e.g., 192.168.1.x and 192.168.2.x). Of course, then you have to place your various devices on the appropriate network according to whether it should be a wired or wireless connection.

But why is it even necessary? If you’re willing to accept a wired connection for the laptop, why not just use a wired connection for ALL your network access, Internet and local? It just doesn’t seem worth the trouble to segregate the traffic once you’re tethered to the switch, esp. if it’s Gigabit! The benefit of adding wireless solely for Internet streaming is negligible.

Even if you went ahead anyway, you’d still have a problem since the streaming connection is wireless. Wireless is “station to station”. Only two stations can be communicating at the same time. So even if you separate wired and wireless traffic at the laptop, wireless streaming can still be interrupted by other wireless users. So when all is said and done, being only wired will always be your best option.