majorgibly

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
Not really sure where to post this. But I want some advice to turn the PC off at night or in sleep. I have turned my PC off like 3 times In 3 months. Just some advice that would be nice :)

Well, the only reason to turn it off would be to save energy. That's a reasonable reason. Personally, I leave my pc doing folding@home all night, so I effectively donate its utility cost to charity, but doing something like that will eat into your wallet. If you don't mind sparing a few dollars, I think folding@home (folding.stanford.edu) is a pretty good thing to do. Distributed supercomputing for disease research.
If you do mind the extra money, or you value the electricity more than the computing, definitely turn off at night.

depends how long you want it to last. the fans have a limited life as do other components from a fan max of 30,000 hours to 50,000-100,000 for motherboards and psu's the cpu life at stock will generally out last all of these.
you get 8760ish hours in a year so your looking at 2-3.5 years for the fans and probably double the max for the rest of the system.

so if your gonna sell it on in 2-3 years then leave it on as much as you like, or as much as you can afford. make sure you clean your fans at least 1s every 2-3 months if you have no filters and 1s every 4-6 if you do. other than cost there is no real reason why you should turn it off.

personally my pc is on 16 hours a day and off for 8ish but i have no reason to keep it on 24/7 as i dont run a nas or server.

at the end of the day the psu will probably be the 1 part that shows the most wear if you turn it off regularly as they do prefer to operate within margins and starting them up and shutting them down does cause wear that wouldn't happen if it was left on. as parts have to warm up and cool down (not including the fans).