Sign in with
Your question

Sandy Bridge: Possible Fix to BCLK Dilemma

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Sandy Bridge
Last response: in CPUs
May 31, 2011 11:36:57 PM

Yesterday I was doing research for a new PC I am going to be building, and the only things that are keeping me from buying sandy bridge are limited PCI lanes and the fact that the base clock is pretty much set in stone, because SATA controllers, USB controllers, and PCI lanes all run off the base clock. And that got me to thinking, But what if there was a multiplier for all of the above listed and whatever else gets its timing off the base clock thats not memory or the cpu so that the base clock could be changed but the speed value for the above listed would still be at 100 MHZ? I am not even sure if this could be implemented with a simple bios change, but heres a quick example:

Stock: [BCLK of 100] * [Multiplier for everything else if 1] = speed for everything else of 100
Overclocked to BCLK of 200: [BCLK of 200] * [Multiplier for everything else if .5] = speed for everything else of 100

For the BIOS, there would be an auto feature and a manual feature for the multiplier.

Auto: would function by solving a simple equation for X. [BCLK][X] = 100
Manual: multiplier would be manually keyed in

Im just a high school student so go easy on me, but I would like your feedback on this.

More about : sandy bridge fix bclk dilemma

a c 123 à CPUs
May 31, 2011 11:40:35 PM

its actualy better for the chip if you oc by the multi rather than the bclk. higher multis require less voltage to achieve the same clocks with the bclk. your rite in that it would be nice to have an option on which to use, but multi over bclck is a better more efficient way of doing it.
May 31, 2011 11:42:47 PM

But freeing up the BCLK would allow for some actual memory overclocking, since most ram wouldnt be able to take the jump from say 1600 to 1866, allowing for the bclk to be unlocked would allow for a value [1600<[target value]<1866]
Related resources
a c 127 à CPUs
June 2, 2011 5:55:13 AM

Most nice P67 mobos allow you to do that already. Its the memory ratio. You just selest the ratio and it sets it to that memory spec.

And honestly, with SBs memory bandwidth, I doubt anything faster than DDR3 1600MHz would make a major difference.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/p67-motherboard-rou...

Look at this. THG gets about 2000MHz+ with 2 sticks of RAM and about 1900MHz on the nicer mobos with 4 RAM sticks.
a b à CPUs
June 2, 2011 7:23:01 AM

1. Buy faster RAM then. But you really will only get minimal gains with anything over 1600 mhz

2. PCI lanes on SB will only be a problem if you plan on using 3 video cards. One is enough for me
!