Horrible fps on wow with gtx570

G

so i just brought a gtx570 and thinking that it will smack cataclysm real hard (upgrading from an gtx260)
i uninstall driver, did a driver sweep. install the driver from nvidia.com log on into world of warcraft and bam i'm still getting the same fps as i did with my 260.. 35-60 else where and 25-35 in orgrimma that is with everything at max setting (ultra setting)
i dont know if this is due to the gpu is being bottleneck by my 2.6 core 2 quad. when i click on the recommended setting on wow. it's still bring me down to medium setting. i know this card should be recommended on ultra setting or high at least. if anyone have any ideas or familiar problem please let me know.. any feedback is welcome. i also did a 3dmarkvantage my score are linked here http://3dmark.com/3dmv/2820545. also im using a antec 600watt power supply. would upgrading to i7 and new psu help? again any suggestion or feedback is welcome. please excuse my bad english hehe

i'm running everything stock. no oc to anything

3DMark Score
14728.88 3DMarks
Graphics Score
CPU Score
Jane Nash
49.6 FPS
New Calico
53.15 FPS
AI Test
1300.37 operations/s
Physics Test
15.14 operations/s
Texture Fill
40.53 texels/s
Color Fill
7.46 pixels/s
Pixel Shader
52.31 FPS
Stream Out
65.1 FPS
GPU Particles
101.75 FPS
Perlin Noise
96.21 FPS

my current spec

Operating System
MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 @ 2.66GHz 30 °C
Yorkfield 45nm Technology
RAM
8.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz (5-5-5-15)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5Q DELUXE (LGA 775) 32 °C
Graphics
HP w1907 @ 1440x900
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570
Hard Drives
488GB Hitachi Hitachi HDP725050GLA360 ATA Device (Unknown) 29 °C
Optical Drives
SONY DVD RW DRU-V200A ATA Device
Audio
Z Cinéma with TruSurround HD

It sounds to me like you've run into a CPU bottleneck. I've heard many times that WoW likes a fast CPU in Ghz, not in number of cores. If you can, try overclocking your CPU.

That said, you probably would get very similar results with high and mostly ultra settings, as a lot of that stuff is handled on the GPU, and not the part holding you back. Shadows is the only part you probably would have to turn down/off.

You might also want to check the WoW forums for help if this doesn't help you. Your Vantage scores seem perfectly normal.

G

yeah i might have to look into overclocking but then again i post a wrong vantage score. i just edit it with the correct score. but it must be something wrong because im not getting any performing gain on wow at all.. maybe it due to internet connection? im still on 1mb.. highest speed at this location available. what i dont get is why when i click on recommended setting it take me to medium setting.

beltzy

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
At first I was going to post that I didn't think your CPU was going to bottleneck you that badly, but instead I went to the tom's wow performance guide. The link below is for CPU scaling. They were using a GTX 480 (very similar performance to the 570) at ultra settings 1680x1050.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/world-of-warcraft-cataclysm-directx-11-performance,2793-9.html

Number of cores doesn't affect performance much beyond 2. Clocks do- not an i5-655 at 2.93 GHz is hanging between 40-60 fps for a large portion of the benchmark.

I'd read up and OC your cpu as far as you're comfortable with- you should see some big performance gains!

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
problem definatly identified cpu bottleneck, helluva graphics card for wow, like using a framing hammer to put in finishing nails

but yes either overclock as much as possible, but i doubt it'll overclock enopugh to eliminate the bottleneck on the gpu entirley... of coarse it shoudl be mroe than you need for this WoW expantion , hope you have a good cpu cooler

ow typically like a fast clocked dual or quad but very very few here will ever tell you that I/O performance can decide how the whole machine performs. Your cpu isn't a true quad core meaning that it has two dual core dies on the same substrate that share the FSB to share data between them. This is why people who built high end game rigs avoided quads early on seeing how games were poorly threaded for quads and this drawback. You can overclock the FSB and ram to feed a bit more bandwidth to the cpu. Why is because when there is a L1 cache miss the L2 is snooped for data before is ques the system ram for the data. Overclocking is the best way to help alleviate some of the lag but that is all.

Beyond that wow can use all four cores but most here have never logged more than one account when playing wow. As for me my dated amd tri core maxes out and use up 6 gb of ram and about 8gb of pagefile when I am farming icc when logging all 6 of my accounts.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
6 accounts... thats like 90 bucks a month investment, 2 full new games a month, heck cata alone had to run $240+ for all accounts

but yea as he says, your system still isn't gonna be running max setting in everything with the cpu you have there i'd probably upgrade that next... but an overclock should do you well for this espantion in WoW so plenty of time, also try turning the shadows down in WoW and make sure you are running in dx11 mode (type /console -d3d11)

*edit* i am bad at typing >_<

When people generally talk about a games use of cores, they mean 1 instance of the game. Of course multiple instances use more cores, but who cares...besides a few odd balls.

TRENDING THREADS