Motherboard won't boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

davbeisner

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
I just upgraded my power supply, video card, memory, and cpu cooler, and now my motherboard won't boot. I can't get to the POST screen or anything.

I'm an experience builder, so I took all the usual precautions--static discharge isolation, etc..., and I'm at a loss for what's going on. Unfortunately my system doesn't have a speaker, and there's no way for me to hook one up, so I'm not sure what error beeps I'm getting.

Here's what I've got:

Upgraded from SeaSonic 750W PS to CoolerMaster Gold 1000W PS

Asus P6T6 WS Revolution motherboard

Intel i7-920 Processor (rev. D0)

Upgraded from stock CPU cooler to the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Pro

Upgraded from GTX-285 1GB to GTX-580 3GB video card

Upgraded from 12GB DDR3 1066 to 24GB DDR3 1600 (6x4GB, triple channel)

Assortment of hard drives and optical drives

RAID card

Firewire and USB expansion cards

So far I've tried it with the full configuration, nothing but the video card and one stick of memory, with the old power supply, with the old video card, and with the old memory. I've even removed and re-seated the CPU. I hit the power button and the CPU fan will spin for about a half a second and then everything shuts off. Drives don't spin up, video card fan doesn't spin up, etc. I have to cycle the power supply off and then back on in order for the power button to do anything again. As I said, I don't have capability to plug a speaker into this, so I don't know what (if any) motherboard error beep codes I may be getting, but I don't think it has power long enough to give me ANY beep codes.

I also have checked, plugged, re-plugged, and double-checked my 12V rail plug and my main mobo plug, and they both seem to be fine. I've even swapped 12V rails, as my PS has two rails (and tried the old PS again), all to no avail. The CPU fan is also plugged up properly.

I'm stumped on this one... anybody got any ideas?

Solution
Figured it out... apparently the new power supply didn't like using the sata rails off the old power supply (both modular systems). I swapped them out and it booted just fine...

davbeisner

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
Figured it out... apparently the new power supply didn't like using the sata rails off the old power supply (both modular systems). I swapped them out and it booted just fine...

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.