No output to monitor, BIOS problems

ttshaw

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
So I decided about a month ago to build my own computer and see what performance I could get on a small budget.
Motherboard: MSI 870-G45
Processor: Athlon II x3 450 3.2GHz
Memory: 2x2GB
Hard drive: 500 gb Hitachi
Graphics Card: HIS Radeon HD 4670
Power supply: 500w

Parts arrived, I put everything together, discovered power supply was DoA. Sent it back along with the motherboard for replacement. Got replacements, rebuilt computer, turned it on. The problem that I have now is that there's no output to the monitor (an old VGA LCD). Hard drive sounds like it spins up and when I remove the RAM I get the error beeps for missing RAM. When everything is there, though, all I get is a blank screen, a few noises from my drives, and fans and lights.
Now here's where it gets more complicated (IMHO): I dropped the processor about a foot to a hardwood floor and one of the pins was slightly bent. It still fit in the socket, and I heard that this usually doesn't cause a problem. Another pertinent fact is that a few weeks ago I tested, in my friend's computer, the memory and graphics card, and both worked just fine. The power supply also doesn't give any indications of failure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If anyone has questions I'll answer them to the best of my ability.

ttshaw

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
so just went through the process of breadboarding* following the advice of http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-262730_13_0.html
once again, i get the "missing memory" beeps, but when i put in my ram in any configuration of slots i get silence, which supposedly means that my ram is shorting out my psu.

also, found out that the d-bracket leds on my mobo, which are all lit up, supposedly mean that my proccessor is messed up, but doesnt that mean that id never get any activity, including beeps for no ram? I also tried powering up the mobo without the cpu and without ram and got no beep codes, so the cpu doesn't sound like the culprit.

TRENDING THREADS