Installing new graphics card

jerica

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010
Hi, I'm trying to install a new graphics card in my computer, I've got a Asus P5K SE Motherboard and after much research and advice I've got a Geforce GTX 460 AMP (used to use a Geforce 8500 GT), but when I installed it and switched on I got several beeps from the computer and nothing on my monitor. I'm running XP pro with 4GB ram on a 550watt power supply and I cannot see anything obviously wrong with my installing (no loose wires). Any help would be good, thanks.

jerica

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010
It's 550 and it's ok as for the two power connecters, each connecter has 2 leads, both three pin and one labelled GP which is the one I connected in both cases. Taken it out for now so I could use the old card and look at what was on the installation disk, not a lot of help. I will try installing it again later, I've e-mailed the manufactuer so I'm waiting to see if they get back to me.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
they should each be 6 pin but assuming that was a typo. also still can't determine its not the psu without specs of the psu or brand/model number, help us help you :D

jerica

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010
Well the only thing I can see without taking it apart is EN60950 and a very small sticker saying ROHS WEEE passed. The connecters into the card are both 6 pin but each have two sets of wires with three wires each.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
hmm those look liek regular 6 pins ... CIT isn't the best psu out there but they are certainly not the worst its made by HEC corp.

they tend to overrate thier wattage 550 is probbaly before efficiency max... so probably a 480 watt psu

your card only pulls 174 watts max

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Zotac/GeForce_GTX_460_Amp_Edition/29.html

so the psu should push it without an issue theoredically dependsing on if the psu is running correctly, as i said its an iffy psu i'd try the card in a friend's computer and see if it works there, if that isn't an option and you rma card and the replacment doesn't work i'd suspect psu