Need some help on 700$ ish build

vhunter

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2010
I don't know too much about choosing parts and compatibility of such parts so I ask (beg) anyone to recommend me a decent build.

Approximate Purchase Date: This weekend hopefully.

Budget Range: Around 700$ before rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, music production (Fl studio)

Parts Not Required: Only need the box, no OS nor monitor necessary.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Microcenter.com, I live really close to one, and there's 20% off computer parts.

Country of Origin: U.S.

Parts Preferences: Motherboard with two pcie x16 slots

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Yes, in the future

Monitor Resolution: 1440x900,

Additional Comments: This is my First build so I'm a bit lost here. I was thinking of waiting for sandy bride but I don't think I can wait, any comments on this? I really haven't decided between a gtx 460 or a HD 6850, mostly because I don't know the differences. All help is appreciated.

no, in performance a 6850 and 460 are basically identical (460 is better in some games, 6850 in others, but only a few fps difference either way)

the 6850 uses less power to get this result (indeed, it uses just 1 6-pin PCIe power cable, compared to two 6-pins for the 460)

Hmm this would be a tad overkill but i went with native SATA 6GB/s mobo and USB 3.0 via Marvell controller and hold out for the new SATA 6GB/s Sandforce SSDs to hit retailers :p

965BE + MSI 870A-G54 $190
http://www.microcenter.com/specials/promotions/AMDbundlePROMO.html

Items Off Egg
$363AR
Untitled-1436.jpg

$553AR in total

vhunter

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2010
@batuchka: Do you think I can find the equivalent of these items in microcenter.com,
@flyboy86: so I cannot use those video cards with my current monitor?
@ScrewySqrl: So maybe Ill go with the 6850 because of the Morphological Anti-Aliasing

vhunter

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2010
Thanks for all the help guys but I have decided to wait for the sandy bride mobos. A few weeks of waiting would be wotrth it in the long run but other tham that Im planning to get it with these parts, unless it only supports SLI not Xfire.