d1ag0n

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
This is sort of a new build with my old case. Trying to figure some things out with these components.

i7 990x
EVGA X58 FTW3
Corsair Core i7 Dominator 6GB PC12800 DDR3 RAM - Tri Channel, 1600MHz
Corsair TX750W 750-Watt
WD15EARS 1.5tb
Memorex dvd lightscribe
9800 gtx 512mb

Will the power supply handle everything if I get a gtx580 or something?

Can I run the memory at 1600mhz? I heard that these chips only handle 1066?

Will this be cool enough? I have an old case from my core 2 duo with a single fan.

I don't plan on over clocking at this time. Maybe later if I get some better cooling solution.

What things do I need to be concerned with when I first fire this thing up?

I'm comfortable assembling I just don't want to miss any important settings.

That system is extremely unbalanced. Don't waste your money on the i7-990x. Go for a new Sandy Bridge CPU instead - they are actually faster in gaming (6-cores means nothing to games). Plus, you'll have $800 more to spend on GPUs (which you REALLY need if you're using a 9800GTX).

I have that motherboard, and for the price you could get better unless you're really set on 3-way SLI. If not, don't get it. It's not a bad board, but you'll be paying much more for something you don't need.

For the RAM you just need to go into the BIOS and set the speeds manually. If you go Sandy Bridge, get a 2x4GB kit.

As for a HDD, get a Samsung F3 1TB - the WD Green hard drives are very slow, simply because of their 5400 RPM speeds.

The Corsair TX series isn't that great. An 850HX would be more than enough for one GTX 580, but I'm not sure about two.

I think you need to really rethink where this build is headed. Do you have a budget and/or focus? Gaming seems to be a bit obvious, but are there any other major uses?

CopaMundial

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011

What parts of this do you already have, and what are you planning to buy new? Do you already have these parts and you're just asking us if the other video card will fit on PSU or are you asking about the whole build?

d1ag0n

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
Im usually quite busy in visual studio and ssms. I really want something fast and I can't change the processor not as I already bought it. Yes I'm going to game but I usually don't get all the latest games.

I don't plan on sli and the MB I ordered is on backorder so maybe I will change the MB what do you suggest?

d1ag0n

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
Here's the info on what I have...
i7 990x UPS has it on the way to me
EVGA X58 FTW3 Ordered but just found out its on backorder
Corsair Core i7 Dominator 6GB PC12800 DDR3 RAM - Tri Channel, 1600MHz I have this
Corsair TX750W 750-Watt I have this
WD15EARS 1.5tb I have this
Memorex dvd lightscribe I have this
9800 gtx 512mb I have this

I just need some help as I had the 6core amd and an asus board and it never worked so it all went back. This is want I'm doing now. I bought the processor so I cant return it but I can change the mobo if needed.

CopaMundial

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011

In that case, if you're just looking for confirmation that everything will work together then yes it will.

In terms of the motherboard, it looks like the one you have on back order is ~$260. You could save some money going with a different mobo, but once you've spent a grand on a CPU I'm not sure you'd notice it very much. If it's back ordered a couple of days, I would just stick w/ what you ordered... if it's a couple of weeks then maybe look around some more.

$165 ASRock X58 Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard (No USB 3.0, you might notice that depending on what external devices you attach. Only supports 3Gb/s SATA, but you're not using enough hard drives to notice the difference. I probably wouldn't drop down to this price level if I were you.)

$210 EVGA 131-GT-E767-TR LGA 1366 Intel X58 SLI 3 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard ... Basically the same board you have ordered only $50 cheaper w/ less SLI support (still does SLI, but not at the same speed, which would be a non-issue in your situation).

$219 MSI X58A-GD65 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard ... Has SATA III for 6Gb/s (which again you won't notice w/ a one drive in your system), USB3.0 (which will probably seem like a must have a year from now), also has 2 external SATA connectors, which the FTW board does not.

So there are some options if you do choose to go for a different motherboard. I would go for the MSI listed.

d1ag0n

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
Thanks for that info CopaMundial. The mobo is only backordered a day so Ill stick with that.
Still noone has commented on the heat of this system. The case is generic with a single fan. Any concerns about heat?

When I setup the memory all I have to set is the 8-8-8-24 and the 1600mhz? Do I need to set any specific values for the processor? I will surely read the manual throughly on these. But I just want to know what to expect and play it safe.

CopaMundial

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011

I'm assuming you're using the stock CPU cooler simply because you didn't mention anything else. You'll probably be ok w/ the 990x and the current low-end video card, but you'll want to keep a close eye on your temps to make sure. I certainly wouldn't try to run a generic single-fan case with the 990x (stock cooler) + a GTX580.
Does that case have any locations for optional fans just in case you want to add one later? If not then you might want to shop around a bit. Personally I'm partial to the Antec Performance One cases (P183, P193) because they're quite and have an under-stated look (I'm not a fan of bling).

Regarding the memory settings, I'm sure it will boot up first time ok just to get you started. Then I think that motherboard comes w/ some utilities that you can run from Windows to adjust all of your clock settings. You'll want to check that because the motherboard may default to underclocking your RAM. I don't think it will be anything so extreme as to prevent your system from booting up the first time or anything like that though.

Same thing w/ CPU settings, it should boot up fine w/ defaults for you and then later once you're sure everything is running stable (and your temps aren't running away) then you can check all of your clock settings to see if there are any tweaks that you want to make. But out of the box, just throw that stuff together and it should run pretty darn fast on it's own.

d1ag0n

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
Good info. I'm hoping to order a 580 tonight. I'm thinking there is another spot for a fan, I'll check it out. I should be installing the board tomorrow. I'll hold off on the card until I get better ventilation.

Someone in one of my other threads mentioned that the Sparkle card I was considering was a waste of money and they were able to over clock an asus gtx 580 to 1Ghz core, 1200 mem. I didn't actually know you could overclock a video card.

d1ag0n

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
Oh I forgot to mention, this is what tiger direct sent me.
IMG_2606.jpg

and another angle
IMG_2605.jpg

If you can't see from the image the box was dropped so hard that the back plate ripped through the box.
The heatsink seems to be in good order although I've never seen one before. The fins are mostly even.
Im not sure about where the heat pipe comes into the main contact with the processor. I guess it's welded in?
Everything looks fine but maybe the weld could have broke, if its even welded.

Am I cursed or what should I even bother running it or just send it back?