Fan connection

flipside8404

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
Hello,
I am building my first pc and wanted some input on which fan should I connect to the motherboard.

Case: Antec DF 85
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X58

flipside8404

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012

Thanks. I figure that much. I have Antecs 920 liquid cooling going to the CPU fan header. The motherboard has one 4-pin fan header, two 3-pin fan header, and one 3 pin power fan header....

case has three x120 mm fan at front, one x120 mm rear fan (supposed to be two but replacing that with the fan/radiator for the Antec 920), and two x140 mm top fans

Hooking up the fan to the motherboard, i don't have to worry about manually adjusting the fans (although the rear and top fans have manual control located on the back).....should I hook up the intake fans (front) or rear/top that blows air out to the motherboard? I appreciate your input.

[fixed]I figure that much. I have Antecs 920 liquid cooling going to the CPU fan header. The motherboard has one 4-pin fan header, two 3-pin fan header, and one 3 pin power fan header....[/fixed]I personally don't like to run other fans through the mobo, as it would use the power and increase the danger of having any electrical issues with mobo. I have Antec P180 and I use the fans on low setting, I use about 5 or 6 fans + the CPU fan.

[fixed]case has three x120 mm fan at front, one x120 mm rear fan (supposed to be two but replacing that with the fan/radiator for the Antec 920), and two x140 mm top fans[/fixed]do u have the radiator outside? I would, it will keep the components inside cooler.

[fixed]Hooking up the fan to the motherboard, i don't have to worry about manually adjusting the fans (although the rear and top fans have manual control located on the back).....should I hook up the intake fans (front) or rear/top that blows air out to the motherboard? I appreciate your input.[/fixed]U don't have to worry that much with water cooling at all : )

I personally don't like to run other fans through the mobo, as it would use the power and increase the danger of having any electrical issues with mobo.

flipside8404

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012

I never thought about putting the radiator outside. As this is my first PC build, I'm into following the directions on the installation/manual that comes with the components...lol.

The set up for the Antec 920 was (inside case), 120 mm fan then screw the radiator then screw another x120 mm fan on the back of the radiator.

Thanks for all the input. I guess I will go with hooking up the fans to the PSU (Cougar 850),s o the fans should ran at its full speed ? atleast the front ones (back and top has manual control)....

[fixed]I never thought about putting the radiator outside. As this is my first PC build, I'm into following the directions on the installation/manual that comes with the components...lol.[/fixed]
I hope u dont have any cats or dogs that could bite the pipeline : )
[fixed]The set up for the Antec 920 was (inside case), 120 mm fan then screw the radiator then screw another x120 mm fan on the back of the radiator.[/fixed]If u think about that, outside is the air cooler than inside of the case. Try it with the rad. inside and outside and make up your mind based on that.

[fixed]I guess I will go with hooking up the fans to the PSU (Cougar 850),s o the fans should ran at its full speed ? atleast the front ones (back and top has manual control)...[/fixed]No, the lowest speed will be fine. U can always adjust it later on the switch in the back.

And the rad. fan(s) are connected to the mobo CPU fan plug.