Closed Solved

Upgrading FireGl V3400, Budget <= $600

I was recently given a Dell Precision 490 with dual Xeon 5060 dual cores. The workstation came with a FireGl V3400, and I'm looking to upgrade to a better graphics card.

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

I will be using Pro/E (now called Creo Elements Pro) to do a lot of rapid prototyping, some rendering, and some simulations using COMSOL 4.0. tc. I will also be using Cadence OrCAD for simulations, designs, routing, and circuit solving. I plan on playing a few light games like Osmos and Plants vs. Zombies in addition to heavier games like Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3. Finally, I will be watching movies, handling large files, and listening to plenty of music.
Right now, this system has a 1280x1024 monitor, but it might have two of these monitors soon.

Up until now, I have used a laptop sporting an intel T7200 dual core with 2G DDR2 700MHz, and a wonderful Quadro FX 3500M (on a 1920x1200 screen). I've done most of the above on this machine, and it has served me very well. This is just so you know what I'm used to. I suppose the Xeons are an upgrade, especially with the 4G of ram and a much faster FSB.

One final note... the system has a 650W psu... I don't know if this limits anything.

*EDIT* BUDGET is preferably less than $600

Current system:
Dual Intel Xeon 5060 3.2 GHz dual core processors
Intel 5000X chipset
4 GB DDR2 FB-DIMM ECC memory
ATI FireGL V3400 (what I think should change.)
Standard 650W psu

Motherboard Features:
One (1) PCI Express x16 slot (occupied)
Two (2) PCI Express x8 slots wired as x4
Two (2) 64-bit/100 MHz PCI-X slots
One (1) 32-bit/33 MHz PCI slot
Five (5) SATA 3.0 Gb/s ports with RAID 0, 1 and 5
Eight (8) 240-pin DIMM sockets (four occupied)

Thanks so much; I can't wait to read the responses.
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about upgrading firegl v3400 budget
  1. Best answer
    As with any rendering programs, you'll need a lot of RAM and video memory. Unless you are working with gigantic rendering projects which require over 2GB of video memory, you should go with a gaming card, because it will be oh so much cheaper. Without knowing what your budget is, though, it's hard to pinpoint what card you'll want.
    That will get you where you want to go. Also, get another 4 GB of RAM, making sure it matches what you already have.
  2. In case the edit to my original post goes unnoticed, I want to make it clear that my budget is less than $600.
  3. Best answer selected by philosophe07.
  4. This topic has been closed by Maziar
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics Product