Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading network card

Last response: in Systems
March 2, 2011 5:38:19 AM

Hello,
Having upgraded my router to "n" from "g" do I need to upgrade the card in my Inspiron 1720 laptop also to "n" to take full advantage of the increased performance?

More about : upgrading network card

March 2, 2011 4:35:07 PM

Yes you do. According to the specs your laptop supports only B and G. You will have to purchase a USB Dongle Wireless N Receiver to take advantage of N speeds. Try and buy one that is the same brand as the router if possible.
March 2, 2011 4:36:57 PM

Unless your Dell's wireless adapter is "n", it will only work at "g" speeds with your new router. Keep in mind that your limiting network performance with the Internet is due to the speed of you internet connection. That being the case, there will be no difference in how well your Dell does cruising the 'Net with the "g" or the "n".

On your internal network it will make a difference, just not with the external network.
Related resources
March 9, 2011 3:58:49 AM

Thank you both for your replies, appreciated. I will probably purchase a dongle, not too confident about opening up my lappie,
March 19, 2011 4:12:30 AM

I have been requested to choose the best reply, but since both respondence provided equally informative answers I cannot choose between you, so I award you both Gold Cups.
March 19, 2011 5:08:22 PM

tarren123 said:
I have been requested to choose the best reply, but since both respondence provided equally informative answers I cannot choose between you, so I award you both Gold Cups.

I recommend you award the "best answer" to Wamphryi. His was a better response.

Good luck!
!