DVI to HDMI vs DVI

Venter127

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010
I just recently got a new Computer Monitor (1080 LG LED display, very nice!) and have been wondering which way to display it. Its got both DVI and HDMI inputs, but my computer only uses DVI, via my nVidia graphics card . My question is, which is better to use: A DVI to HDMI converter and hook the HDMI cable to the monitor, or just a plain DVI cable going to both ends? I've looked around a bit, but have no definitive answer. I would think the converter would be worse since it has to convert the signal, but I'm not completely sure on that one. I've heard that there was only small differences, but if that is true, then I want to know what they are.

vvhocare5

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
In the time it took you to write this - you could have answered your own question via Google and learned even more than Im going to tell you.

DVI-D and HDMI are essentially the same with the exception that DVI-D does not carry audio like HDMI. Since the video signals are digital there isnt really any signal degradation so plug whatever connectors you like together in a chain.

You will need to connect the audio signal from your PC to the monitor if you want sound out of the monitor. There are ways to deal with that too, but that is for another day.

If you use HDMI, it may cause your monitor to act like a TV. This means it will not go into Standby mode when you turn off your PC. Like your TV, you will need to physically turn the monitor on and off. It was enough of a hassle to me that I switched back to DVI. When the PC shuts down, the monitor turns off and goes into Standby.