Sign in with
Your question

SATA Ports with add-on card and speed

Last response: in Motherboards
February 1, 2012 12:18:15 AM

Hey guys, I have trolled here for years and now have a specific question that I would like an opinion on:

My MB is an abitIP35 PRo. This MB's SATA ports are 3gb/s. Over the years I have upgraded and most of my drives now are 6gb/s. If I install a PCIe card with 6gb/s ports will this actually be faster than just using the 3gb/s ports on the MB?

I ask because many reviews of different PCI cards have comments regarding the speed of the card ports not even being as fast as the slower 3gb/s ports on the MB. Any info would be great, thanks!
a c 234 V Motherboard
February 1, 2012 1:01:05 AM

Are you using hard disks? If so, then it won't help because they can't saturate a 3 Gb/s port.
m
l
February 1, 2012 1:51:30 AM

2 optical and 5 HDD. 3 of the HDD are 6gb/s.
m
l
Related resources
February 1, 2012 2:55:40 AM

two of my HDD are velociraptors. What is the purpose of the 3gb/s and 6gb/s ratings if it will not affect anything in my system?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 1, 2012 10:11:58 AM

SATA 6Gb/s controllers have their uses. They are required to to give modern day SSDs the required bandwidth (which is quickly running out!). But slapping a 6Gb/s compatible sticker on a mechanical drive is nothing short of a misleading guise designed for no other reason than to extract more money from unknowing consumers.
m
l
February 1, 2012 12:07:14 PM

Wow that's very interesting. The last drive I got was the the WD30EZRX which is a 3tb green drive with a 6gb/s interface. They still sell the WD30EZRS which is the exact same drive but says it has an interface of 3gb/s.

And you guys are saying that there is absolutely zero difference between the performance of these 2 drives? Thank you again...
m
l
a c 234 V Motherboard
February 1, 2012 12:53:23 PM

Same performance, but it's easier to sell a 6Gb/s drive.
m
l
!