Computer turns on and then off instantly.

thegatekeeper

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2007
So i woke up today and my computer isnt working. I turn it on, the fans go on briefly, and then it instantly goes off. The power button no longer works after this happens. I have to unplug it from the power outlet so it works again. I tried starting the system from the motherboard, so its not the actual power button. I tried starting without graphic card, no fans, no hard drives, still the same thing. The computer was working last night, how is it possible it broke itself over night?

Im going to try the power supply on another computer to see if its broken. What else could it be? Could the motherboard have gone bad over night?

Thanks

Luca-d

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2011

Sounds like PSU to me, however check the 12 v rail (if u have one) and ATX connectors are connected the the motherboard correctly (Yea they can just become loose)

thegatekeeper

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2007
I tried the power supply on another computer (connected only the ATX connector) and it did exactly the same thing. I guess the atx connctor gave out after 3 years. Is that a good timespan?

Thanks, getting a new one today

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Corsair is a good brand, given you go for their good PSU's. Probably one of the best value-for-money PSU's I've seen lately is the Huntkey X7. I'm not completely at ease with the brand, but so far I've heard good things about them.

The Huntkey X7 is a 900W Modularized PSU, achieving the Silver 80+ rating for it's high effectivity and low power loss. It has 5 12V rails, so adding many GFX cards, HDDs, etc. etc. isn't a problem for this one. Also, the modularized design makes cable management awesome, as you just plug in the cables you want to use and store away the ones you don't.

Good PSU, I'd say.