Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Will this system suffice?

Last response: in Systems
Share
March 2, 2011 6:40:04 AM

Hello, I've built one previous computer but it didn't have dual video cards and that's the main reason I'm not sure, I'm just here to double check. So now the million dollar question, will these three components work in conjunction with each other?



http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... : Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... : Video Card (Getting 2)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... : Power Supply

Everything else I have I am certain will work.
Thanks for the responses :) 

More about : system suffice

Best solution

a c 90 B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
March 2, 2011 11:24:37 AM

Hello bigalombom;

Yes they will. There is a caveat on the MB. It does Crossfire @ x16/x4 which is a bit less ideal than the preferred x8/x8

Some other options:
ASRock 870 EXTREME3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Motherboard upgrade chipset from AMD 770 to AMD 870 and does CrossfireX @ x8/x8. No increase in cost.
Antec TruePower New TP-750 750W 80+ BRONZE Power Supply $100 @ same price no rebate needed. Modular cables, 62Amps +12V vs 60Amps for 750TX. Reviews - Antec Truepower New 750W
There is a new 750TX V2 for $20 more if you want to look at that.
Share
March 2, 2011 4:35:49 PM

bigalombom said:
Hello, I've built one previous computer but it didn't have dual video cards and that's the main reason I'm not sure, I'm just here to double check. So now the million dollar question, will these three components work in conjunction with each other?



http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... : Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... : Video Card (Getting 2)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... : Power Supply

Everything else I have I am certain will work.
Thanks for the responses :) 



another mobo that i like is gigabyte ga-890gpa-ud3h i am using that mobo with 2 ati radeon hd 5670 in crossfire and there is no game i cant run and i didnt pay 200+ for each mine are a tad slower than yours but also half the cost also 8 gb of ddr3 ram 1333
m
0
l
Related resources
March 2, 2011 9:14:25 PM

WR2 said:
Hello bigalombom;

Yes they will. There is a caveat on the MB. It does Crossfire @ x16/x4 which is a bit less ideal than the preferred x8/x8

Some other options:
ASRock 870 EXTREME3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Motherboard upgrade chipset from AMD 770 to AMD 870 and does CrossfireX @ x8/x8. No increase in cost.
Antec TruePower New TP-750 750W 80+ BRONZE Power Supply $100 @ same price no rebate needed. Modular cables, 62Amps +12V vs 60Amps for 750TX. Reviews - Antec Truepower New 750W
There is a new 750TX V2 for $20 more if you want to look at that.



Thanks for the reply, I'll definitely get that ASRock motherboard. I didn't even see it while looking so thank you for that :) 
And is Antec a better power supply brand then Corsair?
m
0
l
March 2, 2011 9:27:20 PM

kev6433 said:
another mobo that i like is gigabyte ga-890gpa-ud3h i am using that mobo with 2 ati radeon hd 5670 in crossfire and there is no game i cant run and i didnt pay 200+ for each mine are a tad slower than yours but also half the cost also 8 gb of ddr3 ram 1333



I did check out that motherboard, but it was a little too expensive in my opinion.
Also the reason I'm getting the 6870's is because of their amazing Crossfire scaling.
http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-6850-6870-cross...
http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-5670-review-tes...
As you can see by these benchmarks.
Thanks for the reply :) 
m
0
l
a c 90 B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
March 2, 2011 9:51:03 PM

A PSU brand can have many models. Some might be good. Others less so and some are downright bad.
The TruePower New is actually better, has more power and modular cables for the same price.
Corsair TX750 review @ JonnyGuru; performance rating 8.5 vs 9.5 for the TP New 750W
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&fil...
m
0
l
March 2, 2011 10:58:10 PM

Best answer selected by bigalombom.
m
0
l
March 2, 2011 11:00:14 PM

WR2 said:
A PSU brand can have many models. Some might be good. Others less so and some are downright bad.
The TruePower New is actually better, has more power and modular cables for the same price.
Corsair TX750 review @ JonnyGuru; performance rating 8.5 vs 9.5 for the TP New 750W
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&fil...



Ok, thank you for your help :) 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 2, 2011 11:17:43 PM

Other have pointed out, that 1st motherboard is x16 / x4...... I've made that mistake. Simply put, just THROW OUT that second video card if you buy this motherboard (or any other with ONLY x16 / x4). Read the specs carefully....

I tired to add a second 5770 to my x16 / x4 system, I found out there was essentially zero (0), zip, nada, improvement when adding a second 5770 with an x16 / x4 motherboard. I have seven computer at present, yeah I'm kinda sick that way, I found that x8 x8 is really quite good. It's a little better in an x16 / x8 system or, in an x16 / x16 system but they are no big deal

I own Antec's & Corsair's. The Antec Earthwatt series, ah, leave 'em at the curb. I'd agree the True Power series are far superior.

Same with the Corsair's check out the specs on the Corsair's the 850HX provides more power with less heat and NOISE than the Corsair 1000HX. (not Total power, just more watts before the fan spins up LOUD to try to keep it cool).


m
0
l
a c 90 B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
March 2, 2011 11:38:06 PM

jb6684 said:
Other have pointed out, that 1st motherboard is x16 / x4...... I've made that mistake. Simply put, just THROW OUT that second video card if you buy this motherboard (or any other with ONLY x16 / x4).
That's terrible advice and totally wrong. x16/x4 will work, albeit at a performance disadvantage over x8/x8.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 3, 2011 1:24:31 AM

You are be labeled expert, and I respect that, but I've got the ASUS Intel 1156 motherboard, i7-860, data, and a pair of 5770 Sapphire Vapor-X 5770's to back up my statements:

Motherboard ASUS: (this is my "mistake" x16 / x4 motherboard... )

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Motherboard ASUS: (this "fixes" the issue of performance, going to an x8 / x8 motherboard....)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And ASUS M478 AMD board confirms the findings


Here is the data (for 1156 Intel i7-860 systems in ASUS MB mention above):

DiRT 2 @ 1600 x 1200 :

Single 5770: Dual 5770 (x16 / x4) Dual 5770 (x8 / x8) Dual 5770 (x8 / x8) in AMD 955 system

Avg: 48.7 52.1 76.8 79.1

Min: 38.8 43.5 62 66


In this game example, the x8 / x8 motherboards with dual 5770's are appear to be clearly better than the marginal gain shown for the x16 / x4 motherboard.....



m
0
l
a c 90 B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
March 3, 2011 5:59:26 AM

The graphics card experts hang out in different section of the forum.
Here is what they have to say: PCI x16 and x4 crossfire
That's quite a bit different that what you're suggesting the OP do.
"just THROW OUT that second video card if you buy this motherboard"
m
0
l
!