Sign in with
Your question

Patriot Viper Xtreme w/ M5A99X Evo...timing?

Tags:
Last response: in Memory
February 1, 2012 3:22:56 AM

Hello to everyone, this is my first post and new to forums. With that mentioned I need advise/help, please.

I bought a bunch of components to build a system and I am concerned with the RAM I purchase and what timing I should set it at.

Here is what I just bought:

> Asus M5A99X Evo Motherboard
> Patriot Viper Xtreme RAM 16 GB (2x4GB=8GB) x2 PXD38G1866ELK 9-11-9-27
> AMD Phenom II 1055T HEX Core 2.8GHz

I need help in finding out what the timing should be set at.

I was told by default it will start at 1333MHz and to leave it that way, in other words not to mess with over clocking and risk frying something.

The box of course says timing for these are: 9-11-9-27

I checked with the Asus specs/manual and did not find this particular RAM but noticed Corsair's timing is set to 9-9-9-24 for the 1866MHz speed (I believe).

And I am wondering should I set my RAM to this

OR

Since I was told to run this RAM at 1333MHz (default) would I set the clock/timing to 9-9-9-24?

Had anyone had experience with this timing dilema!?

All I want to do for now is get this to run, I don't care to boost this to go faster right this minute, as I need to understand the benefits and safety of going into BIOS and setting the voltage to 1.65v and set the timing to 9-11-9-27.

The motherboard support the next one higher but mentions it in brackets (2066 O.C.)??

This system will arrive in a day or two, and it's been two years since my last rebuild but I've never paid attention to this timing thing before.

So, my concern is; "will this system default to 1333MHz"? At least I hope it's smart enough to set the best parameters.

I will be installing Windows 7 Pro 64 bit on it too. Guess I should have waited for Windows 8, 9, 10 to come out so I would have to purchase more computers to run their new tweek OS they keep selling us every two years...when does this stop! LOL

Thanks in advance.
a b } Memory
February 5, 2012 8:06:47 PM

The system might default to 1333MHz. The problem with RAM that fast is that it often has trouble running at lower frequencies and motherboards don't know how to handle the RAM so they often screw up automatic settings.

I can say with great certainty that trying it out to see if it will work by default or not shouldn't hurt and if it does, well that's why we have warranties.

If you didn't want to work with faster RAM then you shouldn't have bought 1866MHz memory. 1333MHz or 1600MHz memory would have been much more likely to be problem-free and they would have been cheaper.

If these module are running at 1333MHz then you would want them at 1.5v, not 1.65 and 9-9-9-24 timings should be fine that way.

These modules wil probably default to 1333MHz, 1.5v, but what the timings will be is harder to guess. They might be 9-9-9-24 and they might be lower (lower timings is faster than higher, but not by much).
m
l
February 9, 2012 7:38:06 PM

[/quote]
blazorthon said:
The system might default to 1333MHz. The problem with RAM that fast is that it often has trouble running at lower frequencies and motherboards don't know how to handle the RAM so they often screw up automatic settings.

I can say with great certainty that trying it out to see if it will work by default or not shouldn't hurt and if it does, well that's why we have warranties.

If you didn't want to work with faster RAM then you shouldn't have bought 1866MHz memory. 1333MHz or 1600MHz memory would have been much more likely to be problem-free and they would have been cheaper.

If these module are running at 1333MHz then you would want them at 1.5v, not 1.65 and 9-9-9-24 timings should be fine that way.

These modules wil probably default to 1333MHz, 1.5v, but what the timings will be is harder to guess. They might be 9-9-9-24 and they might be lower (lower timings is faster than higher, but not by much).

I sent the Patriot RAM back and bought the Corsair 16 GB kit that Asus tested. Better to be safe than sorry, Warranty or not, they were going to charge me 15% restocking fees if I opened up the package so I just went with the safer route. I'll know better next time around for sure. These are 1600's by the way and I like how the Corsair site shows you what RAM kits are compatible with certain MoBo! Thus, no more worries.
m
l
a b } Memory
February 11, 2012 1:05:09 AM

Glad to hear your problem's been solved, good luck to you.
m
l
!