Sign in with
Your question

Gaming Computer, budget tentative

Last response: in Systems
March 2, 2011 2:34:43 PM

Hi there, new to the site.

I was just wondering what kind of build I would be looking at for a gaming computer that could run all of todays games (WoW, SC2, I also play warhammer, and the like, with new ones upcoming like rift etc) on HIGH settings?

I've always had subpar computers which have hindered my gaming experience and now I think its time to build one that will:

-be able to play all/most of todays games on HIGH settings ( pref a high framerate, where it doesnt get uber choppy when ^&*% hits the fan like a high player concentration)
- wont crap out in a month
- that also wont break my bank (too bad at least)

could i get some possible recommendations for the whole price range? Meaning a system that may do this on the low end of the scale pricewise, and then med-high?

Haha I know im asking alot but bear with me. If anything was unclear Just ask and I'll try to reword it seeing as im not the greatest wordsmith.
March 2, 2011 3:38:59 PM

bump for the newbie :) 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
March 2, 2011 4:20:08 PM

Well computers can be made to your budget to handle these games. Do you have a general price range?
m
l
Related resources
March 2, 2011 4:27:47 PM

lets say 500-1100$

which is a huge range haha

but the cheaper the better I suppose, just as long as I can play all my games at max settings, and if possible, resolution.

I've never been able to on any computer I've had and for once Id like to not worry about game performance, just play on max/high settings and resolution and just have fun.

Cheaper of course is better, BUT

if performance is sacrificed a huge amount for price, then dont worry.

All im looking for is to turn that game up to max and go and play haha. (I know, I've repeated myself like a bazillion times)
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
March 2, 2011 7:23:59 PM

A ~$900 budget would probably give you the best price for performance, and still allow you to play your games on high settings.

The performance depends on the resolution of your monitor. Higher res requires better video cards.

Here's one build that works well with SC2 (selected as best answer): http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tom...

I'm partial to Intel, since their chips outperform AMD's and I'm willing to pay for that difference if it's significant, so I would recommend something like an i5-2500K (~$210) + ASRock Extreme4 P67 mobo (~$150) and a GTX 560 (~$250), which together runs about ~$600, but the rest of the parts are significantly cheaper.
m
l
March 2, 2011 9:41:37 PM

Thanks!

Would it also be able to handle upcoming games on high settings and resolution

such as rift, diablo 3, and guild wars 2 etc?

Just wanna make sure that If I get it this year Ill be able to play upcoming games flawlessly as well.
m
l
March 3, 2011 12:53:42 AM

I think boiler1990's suggestions are probably the best for you budget. I'm building one right now with same stuff. But if you don't overclock, you don't need the i5-2500K processor (K=unlocked multiplier for overclocking). You could just go with a standard i5-2500 for 20 bucks less. Also, something to remember is that the 1155 mobos only support 16 lanes of PCI-e for a full 16x for gfx card. The easiest way to get a big boost in frames is to add a second gfx card and run in SLI (although it must be the exact same card). With the 1155 mobos and SLI, each card will only run at half the bandwidth (8x each) so, basically reducing the potential of a SLI setup. Some of the higher end 1155 mobos will have the NF200 chip that will allow for full 16x bandwidth for each card. This might be an option as you can always add another card later. However, 1155 mobos are just coming back from being recalled. However, I did see a couple today on Newegg, but none sporting the NF200 yet. If you want the new Intel CPUs (sandy bridge), you'll still have to wait a bit longer. I am, and I recommend that you do too cuz they'll be worth it. Just check out the reviews here. Hope that helps.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
March 3, 2011 1:35:08 AM

The differences between 8x/8x and 16x/16x or even 16x/8x are barely noticeable, so 8x/8x isn't going drastically affect your gaming performance.

Asus mentioned something on Facebook about their P67 motherboards being back on the market in a week or two. In the meantime, you can determine the remaining components in your system.
m
l
!