Spot on 20D Image

I have a new Canon 20D and took it out for a test run. I noticed a small
dark smudge on each image in the same location.

http://webpages.charter.net/rflohr/034.jpg

Here is a link for a sample image. Not a huge deal to clean up in an image
editor but I would like to know what causes this. Is this typical of a
sensor needing cleaning? Is it usual for a camera with no lense changes and
less than 100 images to develop a spot like this? Or is it something else
altogether?

Thanks for the help.

--
Rikk Flohr

website: www.fleetingglimpse.com
blog: http://spaces.msn.com/members/fleetingglmpse/
4 answers Last reply
More about spot image

    On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 11:45:51 -0600, in rec.photo.digital "Celtic Boar"
    <extraneous@charter.net> wrote:

    >I have a new Canon 20D and took it out for a test run. I noticed a small
    >dark smudge on each image in the same location.
    >
    >http://webpages.charter.net/rflohr/034.jpg
    >
    >Here is a link for a sample image. Not a huge deal to clean up in an image
    >editor but I would like to know what causes this. Is this typical of a
    >sensor needing cleaning?

    Yes. Notice this shot was taken at f/14. Dust on the sensor/filter will
    show up more as the lens is stopped down,

    > Is it usual for a camera with no lense changes and
    >less than 100 images to develop a spot like this? Or is it something else
    >altogether?

    Did you take a sky shot stopped down right away. It could have been there
    from the beginning.

    ----------
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at

    No, most of the earlier shots were taken indoors. Lense wide open so I
    probably didn't notice. Good point.

    Rikk.

    Not a big deal. It is very likely (most probably) dust on the sensor. Get
    yourself a hand squeeze "Rocket Blower," they cost about $8 or $10. Attach
    your camera to a sturdy tipod and face it down and then very carefully
    follow the directions in your Canon manual to blow out the dust. You will
    probably be surprised how easy it is.

    I noticed my first dust bunny group while photographing a jet passing
    overhead. The stopped down sky really did it. Indoor shots and close ups
    of the kids and dog never did show it.

    Jimmy

    "Celtic Boar" <extraneous@charter.net> wrote in message
    > I have a new Canon 20D and took it out for a test run. I noticed a small
    > dark smudge on each image in the same location.
    >
    > http://webpages.charter.net/rflohr/034.jpg
    >
    > Here is a link for a sample image. Not a huge deal to clean up in an image
    > editor but I would like to know what causes this. Is this typical of a
    > sensor needing cleaning? Is it usual for a camera with no lense changes
    and
    > less than 100 images to develop a spot like this? Or is it something else
    > altogether?
    >
    > Thanks for the help.
    >
    > --
    > Rikk Flohr
    >
    > website: www.fleetingglimpse.com
    > blog: http://spaces.msn.com/members/fleetingglmpse/

    "Celtic Boar" <extraneous@charter.net> wrote in message
    >I have a new Canon 20D and took it out for a test run. I noticed a small
    >dark smudge on each image in the same location.
    >
    > http://webpages.charter.net/rflohr/034.jpg
    >
    > Here is a link for a sample image. Not a huge deal to clean up in an image
    > editor but I would like to know what causes this. Is this typical of a
    > sensor needing cleaning? Is it usual for a camera with no lense changes
    > and less than 100 images to develop a spot like this? Or is it something
    > else altogether?

    Dust on the sensor. As Ed Ruf has pointed out, it could have been there
    since you got the camera. Welcome to one of the down sides to DSLRs, dust
    bunnies on the sensor. In my mind one of the FEW down sides, next to size
    of the camera, and both are well worth it to me for the results they
    produce.

    For the record, I have bought 4 DSLRs new, 2 for work and 2 for home, 2
    Nikons and 2 Canons. Exactly half of them have had a detectable amount of
    dust on the sensor when I opened the new sealed box, the D100 (Nikon) and
    the D60 (Canon). The D1x and the 20D were clean, and I did check all of
    them as soon as I got them open.

    Eventually you will have to clean any DSLR sensor, that is just a fact of
    ownership. Unfortunately you are just being introduced to this joy earlier
    than some are. On the other hand, you could send the camera in and have it
    cleaned, I think Canon gives you one free cleaning the first year. But in
    my opinion this is something everyone should learn to do.

Photo Canon Cameras