Newb question..

mw2fan

Distinguished
May 4, 2011
Hello, my name's Mark, and I'm building a new gaming rig.
I told my friend about this, since his brother has a cook gaming pc which is awesome.
I told him I'm getting the i5 2500k @ 4.5 Ghz, but he said that it's really slow for a processor. He said that if you divide 4.5 by the 4 cores you get 1.125,
and he says that thats how fast the CPU really is.
So please tell my friends he's a nub, and that my cpu really is the best bang for your buck and actually one of the best arround.
-thanks,
Mark

mw2fan

Distinguished
May 4, 2011
Well his brothers rig is arround 2 years old.
So I told him unless he had spent 1200 euros on his cpu it wouldn't be better then mine. But he wouldn't believe me, but now I've shown him a benchmark of the i5 vs the most expensive i7 intel sells now, and the were almost equal.
So when I overclock mine it'll probable even outperform the intel i7 990 extreme something something right?

The stated clock speed of a processor is always set at the clock speed for each core on the processor. So if we list a quad core processor of having a clock speed of 3.3GHz like the Intel® Core™ i5-2500K that is the speed at which each one of those 4 cores can run at. Due to changes in microarchitecture and new technologies like Turbo mode an Intel Core i5-2500k will outperform any processor from 2 years ago in both single and multi-threaded applications.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

It would be a better analogy, though still ridiculous (it's just not the same thing), to multiply the cores. Four cores at 4.5 ghz makes 18 billion total cycles per second, 18 ghz.