Sign in with
Your question

Mystery "No sound device installed"

Last response: in Components
June 1, 2011 1:19:36 PM

Hi,

Please help me to solve a big mystery that even the laptop technician failed to.
I have Compaq Presario 3614 AU with WIn 7 Ultimate. As it show in low right corner "No Audio Output Device is installed"
Many times I brought it for reparation and the technician fixed it claiming that the cable connection melted due to high temperature. He also put a new sound chip. But after reparation it can't stand more than 2 or 3 days. Each time I have to use a USB sound card.
In fact, I'm little sceptic regarding the technician's explanation because right now it failed while the laptop is not hot at all. (i'm also using a cooling pad).
Of course I can't install any driver since there's no sound device installed.
I got the same mysterious issue when I was using XP previously.
Please any help/suggestion?
Thanks

AMD Turion 64 x2
2Gb
HDD 120Gb
Win 7
Audio device Connexant.
June 4, 2011 7:08:16 PM

nayab04 said:
Hi,

Please help me to solve a big mystery that even the laptop technician failed to.
I have Compaq Presario 3614 AU with WIn 7 Ultimate. As it show in low right corner "No Audio Output Device is installed"
Many times I brought it for reparation and the technician fixed it claiming that the cable connection melted due to high temperature. He also put a new sound chip. But after reparation it can't stand more than 2 or 3 days. Each time I have to use a USB sound card.
In fact, I'm little sceptic regarding the technician's explanation because right now it failed while the laptop is not hot at all. (i'm also using a cooling pad).
Of course I can't install any driver since there's no sound device installed.
I got the same mysterious issue when I was using XP previously.
Please any help/suggestion?
Thanks

AMD Turion 64 x2
2Gb
HDD 120Gb
Win 7
Audio device Connexant.

I am not a sound tech but since no one else has answered you I'll take a stab at it.

From the description that you list it sounds like your "laptop technician" doesn't know what he is doing and you need to find a replacement. It also sound like he (or she) has exacerbated the problem.

Most laptops don't melt cables when they overheat in my experience.

Also, it sounds like that when the tech put in the new sound card that he didn't install it properly because now your computer is not recognizing it.

You have three possible solutions:

1. Find a better repair tech that won't charge you an arm or a leg
2. Consider replacing your Compaq laptop - Compaq is one of the most unreliable brands of laptops made. Asus, Sony, Dell and maybe HP should be on your list. Read reviews of the specific laptop you are considering BEFORE you buy
3. You can post on other computer forums and hopefully someone who knows a lot more than me about computers can help you to get your sound card recognized. I would check with the Tech to make sure that the sound card they installed is compatible with your laptop and I would make them fix it for free

Hope this helps some. Sorry I couldn't give you better technical information
m
l
!