Thinking about upgrading...

cpu: Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E6400
motherboard: Intel® Lemont DP965LT
3 GB RAM
nvidia 7600GS ( Sapphire HD 6570 comes in 2 days, so GPU upgraded)

what do you suggest me for a CPU upgrade?
13 answers Last reply
More about thinking upgrading
  1. around 100-200$ max.,.
  2. on a budget. a q8400...
  3. HEXiT said:
    on a budget. a q8400...

is it compatible with my mobo?
  4. Your current motherboard is a Socket LGA 775 which the Q8400 is, so yes they will be compatible.

And at around $150 it should fit into your 100-200 price range.
  5. thnx! how about an i3 cpu?
  6. Well you could go with an i3 cpu, such as the i3 2100 but even a good combo deal with a CPU and motherboard will run you about $250 or more.

Not to mention the newer 1155 motherboards all use DDR3 ram, so you would have to upgrade that as well, which would probably be another $50 for 4GB.

So it depends on what your budget is. If you are looking at staying within your 100-200 budget, a quick upgrade on the CPU might make more sense for the short term until you can save up a bit more in the future for a new build. But essentially it's just a band-aid.

However, if you are looking at increasing your budget, you might be able to go with a better system. I'm only interested in what PSU you have if you could post that too.
  7. i think its 370W. is it a problem?
  8. You would need a core i3 compatible motherboard, then ddr3 ram and possibly a new PSU if you plan to add a GPU.

Stay with q8400.

It'll give you much needed improved performance.

Regards...
  9. mfarrukh said:
    You would need a core i3 compatible motherboard, then ddr3 ram and possibly a new PSU if you plan to add a GPU.

Stay with q8400.

It'll give you much needed improved performance.

Regards...

so, q8400 + 3gb ram ddr2 + saphire 6570 graphics card....

will the 370W psu be ok?
  10. More than OK.
    Since 6570 HD ain't gonna draw much power, even an overclocked q8400 will be handled by 370W.

Good Luck

Regards....
  11. ok, thanx a lot :)
  12. Yeah the Q8400 is definitely the better choice. This way you don't have to spend money on a new motherboard/ram. Sorry I didn't respond sooner.

Good luck with your upgrade!
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Motherboards Processors Product