How will computer handle things?

MrLiLLs

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
Hello all this is my first post. I have a custom built computer I bought in late 07'.

The specs are:

Cooler Master tower

Asus p5ke-wi fi (socket 775)

ATI HD 2900

Intel e6750 dual core

4 gigs ddr2 generic ram

Rockfish 750 watt psu ( Brand new as the other one fried not to long ago)

2 x 250 gig hard drives (not sure of there specs sorry)

Vista 32 bit

Now my whole reasoning for the upgrade is for BattleField 3.

What can or would you all salvage from this build for cost saving reasons?

My idea was to replace the chip with a medium to high range chip

Install windows 7 and burn Vista (nothing but problems for me)

I was also considering putting in 4x2 gig ram sticks for a total of 8 gigs

Put in a terebyte or more harddrive

And of course the new video card

I am getting mixed reviews from some people some say I still have a descent rig just get a video card and be done with it for now.

How will my motherboard hold out? Is it capable of a high end quad core?

I am an ATI guy which card would you choose I always have bought the one step down if you know what I mean.

I am having a new baby soon so it will be a really really tough sell to the wifey lol so lets keep this cost to a beer budget not champagne .

I am not a expert and learn by trail error and a lot of swearing and throwing mice lol

Thanks guys/gals MrLills

Get the best video card you feel comfortable buying.

The video card is the most important component for gaming, particularly at higher resolutions.
Yes, your dual core cpu is a bit dated by today's standards, but any current video card will be a big improvement, and can be carried forward to a future build. I would expect that your cpu is strong enough to give you improved performance.

Try these tests:
1) Run your games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics card.

2) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 70%.
If your FPS drops significantly, it is an indicator that your cpu is the limiting factor, and a cpu upgrade is in order.

It is possible that both tests are positive, indicating that you have a well balanced system, and both cpu and gpu need to be upgraded to get better gaming FPS.

There is some value in 8gb of ram, but unless you do lots of multitasking, the money can be better spent elsewhere.

MrLiLLs

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
I know that my components are quite dated but if I do upgrade to a higher end cpu will my mother board limit it's performance? I am really hoping I don't have to scrap everything but I would like to play BF3 on descent settings. Thx

residentdean

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
You know what I would sell your build. Honestly if your gonna put 500$ into which sounds like you are anyways why not get a new i5 2500k next month and build a new system for about 900$. If you sell your current rig for $350 that would help you out. The cheapest 775 quad core goes for around 150$ so that will put you with in striking range of sandy bridge. Don't invest in old technology, future proof yourself for a couple years. I would not suggest spending any money on your current build!

MrLiLLs

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011

Lol BF4 or 5 will prob be like in ten years or more . Thx for the replies I guess I am stuck starting from the ground up. Gonna be a tough sell on the wife :??:

I need a new computer like a need a hole in the head lol. It is a hard sell when really my only use is for gaming.

I might just buy parts slowly and build up that way.

Not so.
I guarantee that a better graphics card will improve the fps. The question is, by how much.

Few games use more than two cores, so a quad will fix a problem that is not there.

Yes, a higher clock, or a better architecture will help. Which is more important, the cpu, or the gpu.

I would like to see what mrlills finds with reduced graphics.

Your motherboard is decent enough. You can get a newer 45nm C2Duo as long as you update the BIOS. Check out your CPU support at

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

Since you already have a decent board it's not a bad idea to get a 45nm Quad Core and overclock it. Considering that Q8000 CPUs aren't that great and Q9000 CPUs are often overpriced you may have to go to with eBay on that one. If you don't like eBay for whatever reason then I would say go with a Q9505S and overclock it. If you don't want to invest that much money in a CPU then you have to at least consider overclocking your current CPU to avoid weighing down a modern GPU.

There isn't much point in getting 8GB of RAM for gaming unless you really have alot of stuff in the background eating up alot of memory. For a GPU go with a single GTX 460 or Radeon 6850 would be as high as you should go with an overclocked 9505S. If you only overclock your current CPU then just get a cheap 5770 as they are as low as $120 but are still twice as fast as your current 2900. Even if you only go with a 5770 I would replace your Rocketfish PSU since I wouldn't trust any Rocketfish PSU with shiny new components.