Need advice on budget / bargain non gaming new build

Good afternoon all, thanks in advance for any and all suggestions. Have been reading posts and just get more confused the more I read.

Purchase Date 2 - 3 days

Budget range $300 - $400

System Usage internet surfing, streaming movies, word processing, spread sheet

Would like to use Ubuntu 10.10 OS, have Vizio HDMI tv and speakers

Preferred parts source: best recommendations

Location Florida

Parts preference AMD CPU, Read that has a little more bang for the buck

Overclocking No at least for now

SLI or Crossfire No at least for now

Am looking for a decent quality, quiet, system that I could possibly expand or upgrade in the future. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. Have looked at the budget / bargain builds, what if anything would improve, update those builds from a couple of months ago.

Again Thanks

Stewart
14 answers Last reply
More about need advice budget bargain gaming build
  1. Stewart54 said:
    Good afternoon all, thanks in advance for any and all suggestions. Have been reading posts and just get more confused the more I read.

    Purchase Date 2 - 3 days

    Budget range $300 - $400

    System Usage internet surfing, streaming movies, word processing, spread sheet

    Would like to use Ubuntu 10.10 OS, have Vizio HDMI tv and speakers

    Preferred parts source: best recommendations

    Location Florida

    Parts preference AMD CPU, Read that has a little more bang for the buck

    Overclocking No at least for now

    SLI or Crossfire No at least for now

    Am looking for a decent quality, quiet, system that I could possibly expand or upgrade in the future. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. Have looked at the budget / bargain builds, what if anything would improve, update those builds from a couple of months ago.

    Again Thanks

    Stewart



    Here is a build the I came up with from newegg.com. It supports plenty of upgradeability as well as using good quality parts.

    CORSAIR Builder Series CMPSU-600CX 600W ATX12V v2.3 Active PFC Power Supply
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139019

    APEX TX-381-C Black Steel Micro ATX Tower Computer Case
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811154094

    ASUS 24X Burner Black SATA Model DRW-24B3LT LightScribe Support - OEM
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135221

    MSI 880GM-E41 AM3 AMD 880G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130295

    AMD Athlon II X2 245 Regor 2.9GHz Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor ADX245OCGMBOX
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103926

    Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model CT2KIT25664BA1339
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148262

    Seagate SV35.5 ST31000525SV 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148621
  2. You could check out my budget build guide in my siggy. It has a whole bunch of things you could check out and even has tips. :D
  3. ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
    Item #: N82E16827135204
    Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
    Protect Your Investment (expand for options)
    $18.99


    XCLIO Godspeed 747 Fully Black Finish 0.5 mm SECC / ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
    Item #: N82E16811103035
    Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
    $39.99


    Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
    Item #: N82E16822148395
    Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
    Protect Your Investment (expand for options)
    -$10.00 Instant
    $49.99
    $39.99


    BIOSTAR A880G+ AM3 AMD 880G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
    Item #: N82E16813138283
    Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
    Protect Your Investment (expand for options)
    -$10.00 Instant
    $69.99
    $59.99


    Antec NEO ECO 400C 400W Continuous Power ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
    Item #: N82E16817371029
    Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
    Protect Your Investment (expand for options)
    -$6.00 Instant
    $59.99
    $53.99


    AMD Phenom II X2 560 Black Edition Callisto 3.3GHz Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core Desktop Processor HDZ560WFGMBOX
    Item #: N82E16819103887
    Return Policy: CPU Replacement Only Return Policy
    Protect Your Investment (expand for options)
    Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model CT2KIT25664BA1339
    Item #: N82E16820148262
    Return Policy: Memory Standard Return Policy
    -$15.00 Instant
    -$7.00 Combo

    Total 356$

    The Dual Core 560 can be unlocked to a quad core and then overclocked
  4. Do u happen to live near a Microcenter?
  5. batuchka said:
    Do u happen to live near a Microcenter?

    Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Live in Tampa and I believe CompUSA is about it for local retailers.
  6. no microcenters near tampa.


    Here's my suggestion. Several peopel have been offering overkill PSUs and not going extra thrifty on the cases.

    You're looking for a basic computer that will use onboard graphics only.

    AMD athlon II X3 435 2.9 GHz: $71.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103920
    3 cores, potential to unlock a 4th, and should be overclockable to match the more expensive 450/455 on the stock cooler.

    ASRock 880GM Motherboard: $59.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157199
    Modern chipset, decent onboard video (though it won't be playing games)

    G.Skill 4 GB DDR3-1333: $39.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231396

    Xigmatek Pc402 400W 80+ Bronze PSU: $34.95
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817815007
    it got a solid review in October, and has 28a on the 12v rail, good enough for a 460, 560, or 6870, if you want to add expansion later.

    Rosewill R-101 micro-ATX case: $29.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147112
    comes with 1 120mm fan, space to add a second if you want. very basic, simple, and ready to use.

    LG DVD burner: $17.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106289
    free shipping!

    Seagate Baracuda 7200.12 500GB HDD: $39.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148395

    total $294.89
  7. ScrewySqrl said:
    no microcenters near tampa.


    Here's my suggestion. Several peopel have been offering overkill PSUs and not going extra thrifty on the cases.

    You're looking for a basic computer that will use onboard graphics only.

    AMD athlon II X3 435 2.9 GHz: $71.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103920
    3 cores, potential to unlock a 4th, and should be overclockable to match the more expensive 450/455 on the stock cooler.

    ASRock 880GM Motherboard: $59.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157199
    Modern chipset, decent onboard video (though it won't be playing games)

    G.Skill 4 GB DDR3-1333: $39.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231396

    Xigmatek Pc402 400W 80+ Bronze PSU: $34.95
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817815007
    it got a solid review in October, and has 28a on the 12v rail, good enough for a 460, 560, or 6870, if you want to add expansion later.

    Rosewill R-101 micro-ATX case: $29.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147112
    comes with 1 120mm fan, space to add a second if you want. very basic, simple, and ready to use.

    LG DVD burner: $17.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106289
    free shipping!

    Seagate Baracuda 7200.12 500GB HDD: $39.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148395

    total $294.89

    Thanks for your advice ScrewySqrl

    Any recommendations on another motherboard, ASrock is not in stock at Newegg. Also, do I need a video card?

    Thanks

    Stewart
  8. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138283

    These 880G motherboards have onboard video so the dedicated card isn't required.
  9. ScrewySqrl said:
    no microcenters near tampa.


    Here's my suggestion. Several peopel have been offering overkill PSUs and not going extra thrifty on the cases.

    You're looking for a basic computer that will use onboard graphics only.

    AMD athlon II X3 435 2.9 GHz: $71.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103920
    3 cores, potential to unlock a 4th, and should be overclockable to match the more expensive 450/455 on the stock cooler.

    ASRock 880GM Motherboard: $59.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157199
    Modern chipset, decent onboard video (though it won't be playing games)

    G.Skill 4 GB DDR3-1333: $39.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231396

    Xigmatek Pc402 400W 80+ Bronze PSU: $34.95
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817815007
    it got a solid review in October, and has 28a on the 12v rail, good enough for a 460, 560, or 6870, if you want to add expansion later.

    Rosewill R-101 micro-ATX case: $29.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147112
    comes with 1 120mm fan, space to add a second if you want. very basic, simple, and ready to use.

    LG DVD burner: $17.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106289
    free shipping!

    Seagate Baracuda 7200.12 500GB HDD: $39.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148395

    total $294.89



    Hello again,

    Couple of additional questions on the above, can I substitute the following for the ASrock motherboard above, out of stock at Newegg

    MSI 880GM-E41 AM3 AMD 880G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130295

    Also, would there be any need for an additional fan? What if any cables, wires, nuts and bolts etc would I need or should those all be included.

    Thanks again

    Stewart
  10. the motherboard *should* come with 2 SATA cables and the case will come with all the screws you need.

    an extra fan is probably not *necessary*, but you can add another 120mm fan to the case I linked for $4.00. 120mm fans are pretty mature tech. Basically, adding the fan would increase the airflow (one front, one back).

    The MSI 880 is fine as a replacement, and even has HDMI out.
  11. ScrewySqrl said:
    no microcenters near tampa.


    Here's my suggestion. Several peopel have been offering overkill PSUs and not going extra thrifty on the cases.

    You're looking for a basic computer that will use onboard graphics only.

    AMD athlon II X3 435 2.9 GHz: $71.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103920
    3 cores, potential to unlock a 4th, and should be overclockable to match the more expensive 450/455 on the stock cooler.

    ASRock 880GM Motherboard: $59.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157199
    Modern chipset, decent onboard video (though it won't be playing games)

    G.Skill 4 GB DDR3-1333: $39.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231396

    Xigmatek Pc402 400W 80+ Bronze PSU: $34.95
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817815007
    it got a solid review in October, and has 28a on the 12v rail, good enough for a 460, 560, or 6870, if you want to add expansion later.

    Rosewill R-101 micro-ATX case: $29.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147112
    comes with 1 120mm fan, space to add a second if you want. very basic, simple, and ready to use.

    LG DVD burner: $17.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106289
    free shipping!

    Seagate Baracuda 7200.12 500GB HDD: $39.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148395

    total $294.89

    Final advice, feedback sought on budget build non gaming rig. All parts are from Newegg but I can look elsewhere. Sort of a combo of parts that have been suuggested to me.

    Again, appreciate all your thoughts and feedbak. Plan to make purchase today. Also, plan to run Ubuntu 10.10 OS. Will this all work OK?

    Thanks

    Stewart

    Product Description Savings Total Price
    1

    LG DVD±RW SuperMulti Drive Black SATA Model GH22NS50B

    LG DVD±RW SuperMulti Drive Black SATA Model GH22NS50B - OEM
    Item #: N82E16827136216
    Return Policy: Standard Return Policy




    $19.99

    1

    Rosewill R101-P-BK 120mm Fan MicroATX Mid Tower Computer Case

    Rosewill R101-P-BK 120mm Fan MicroATX Mid Tower Computer Case
    Item #: N82E16811147112
    Return Policy: Standard Return Policy




    $29.99

    1

    Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

    Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
    Item #: N82E16822148395
    Return Policy: Standard Return Policy

    -$10.00 Instant



    $49.99
    $39.99

    1

    MSI 880GM-E41 AM3 AMD 880G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

    MSI 880GM-E41 AM3 AMD 880G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
    Item #: N82E16813130295
    Return Policy: Standard Return Policy




    $74.99

    1

    XIGMATEK ACXTNRP-PC402 400W ATX12V Ver.2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

    XIGMATEK ACXTNRP-PC402 400W ATX12V Ver.2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
    Item #: N82E16817815007
    Return Policy: Standard Return Policy

    -$25.00 Instant



    $59.95
    $34.95

    1

    G.SKILL NS 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-4GBNS

    G.SKILL NS 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-4GBNS
    Item #: N82E16820231396
    Return Policy: Memory Standard Return Policy




    $39.99

    1

    AMD Athlon II X3 435 Rana 2.9GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Desktop Processor ADX435WFGMBOX

    AMD Athlon II X3 435 Rana 2.9GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Desktop Processor ADX435WFGMBOX
    Item #: N82E16819103920
    Return Policy: CPU Replacement Only Return Policy




    $71.99

    Subtotal: $311.89
    Calculate ShippingZip Code: 33569
    Shipping: $23.53

    Redeem Newegg Gift Cards
    Card Number: Security Code:
    Apply Promo Code(s):

    Promo Code: $0.00
    No Payments + No Interest if paid in full in 6 Months on order over $250.
    Subject to credit approval. See Terms
    Grand Total: $33
  12. looks good
  13. ScrewySqrl said:
    the motherboard *should* come with 2 SATA cables and the case will come with all the screws you need.

    an extra fan is probably not *necessary*, but you can add another 120mm fan to the case I linked for $4.00. 120mm fans are pretty mature tech. Basically, adding the fan would increase the airflow (one front, one back).

    The MSI 880 is fine as a replacement, and even has HDMI out.



    Good afternoon Screwysqrl

    Am sending this from my just built first time ever new computer. Spent a little more than 2 hours on it, not that smart, but was able to assemble, install Unbuntu and am off.

    Wanted to thank you for your advice, looks like it is exactly what I was looking for.

    Stewart
  14. you're welcome, Enjoy your new system!
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build New Build Systems