Sign in with
Your question

Black screen after latest Driver Update

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 28, 2010 7:20:53 PM

Mike here. I have encountered a persistent black screen problem after downloading and installing ATI Radion HD 3200 driver update v. 10.12 dated 12-13-2010. I was updating from what was probably it's earliest driver, v. 8.5.31.00 dated 8-29-2008. The screen went black. I tried to reboot. I CANNOT EVEN REBOOT NOW, (noteven in Safe Mode, much less an ordinary reboot from the computer power button). Maybe I'm not doing the latter right. I push the button and hold down the F8 button. >>black screen. I tried again tapping the F8 button. >>black screen. I'm not a novice either, but I'm stumped. I'm using Vista, 64 bit operating system on a Gateway DX4200 desktop that uses an AMD Phenom X4 64 chip. It was running nicely until I installed the updated driver.

Any ideas?

Thank you, --mike Reston, VA

Add a reply
Revove from the list of quoted messages Add to the list of quoted messages Quick edit Edit this message
December 28, 2010 7:32:12 PM

MORE INPUT ON PROBLEM:

1. First, after 12 hours with POWER OFF, the machine rebooted normally and Device Manager shows that the old existing HD 3200 driver is still in place. The update did not take.

2. Is misstated the old existing driver version. It is 8.531.0.0, 8/29/2008, ATI Technologies.

Any advice re. updating from that?

Thanks, --mike
m
l
December 28, 2010 7:37:32 PM

If at all possible, install a different graphics card to uninstall the driver, or install the current card in a different slot. That worked with my card when it happened to me. For some reason, the driver only worked in one slot at a time. ^.^
Reinstall an older driver after you uninstall this new one.
m
l
Related resources
December 28, 2010 9:01:29 PM

stingstang said:
If at all possible, install a different graphics card to uninstall the driver, or install the current card in a different slot. That worked with my card when it happened to me. For some reason, the driver only worked in one slot at a time. ^.^
Reinstall an older driver after you uninstall this new one.

Stingstang, thanks for the response. Can I simply uninstall the old existing 8/29/2008 driver and then install the newest 12-2010 driver?
m
l
December 29, 2010 10:33:08 AM

Download Driver Sweeper from Guru 3d
http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

The prefered method is to uninstall the old driver in "ADD REMOVE PROGRAMS" in the windows control panel.
Reboot into safe mode. Run driver sweeper.
Reboot into windows normally.
Install new driver.

A lot of times bits of the old drivers are left behind after just updating . This can cause lots of problems.

m
l
March 21, 2012 5:05:31 AM

I have a HD 4850 and when I upgrade the software when it was 11.1 to 11.6 all it did was blank my screen out then i got it to update to the 11.7 but after that did the same thing over and over again i got it up to 11.12 but other then that i can't update again idk why it would be nice if ATI could tell us
m
l
March 1, 2013 10:34:56 PM

selnick said:
Mike here. I have encountered a persistent black screen problem after downloading and installing ATI Radion HD 3200 driver update v. 10.12 dated 12-13-2010. I was updating from what was probably it's earliest driver, v. 8.5.31.00 dated 8-29-2008. The screen went black. I tried to reboot. I CANNOT EVEN REBOOT NOW, (noteven in Safe Mode, much less an ordinary reboot from the computer power button). Maybe I'm not doing the latter right. I push the button and hold down the F8 button. >>black screen. I tried again tapping the F8 button. >>black screen. I'm not a novice either, but I'm stumped. I'm using Vista, 64 bit operating system on a Gateway DX4200 desktop that uses an AMD Phenom X4 64 chip. It was running nicely until I installed the updated driver.

Any ideas?

Add a reply
Revove from the list of quoted messages Add to the list of quoted messages Quick edit Edit this message

I had the same problem, I have hp pavilion dv7 4283cl with windows 7, now I upgraded to windows 8 and the ATI drive does not work with windows 8, the screen went black. with the help from windows 8 tech, we disable the ATI driver and did updates on the intel core driver that is integrated into the mother board and it now works fine. I also call the AMD who owns the ATI driver and the technician inform me that at this time, there is no updated driver for windows 8, but was told to check in with them from time to time to see if there is an update. your only option is to do a restore to the date before you installed the driver.
I hope this helps you.
m
l
March 24, 2013 4:55:49 AM

Johanson77 said:
selnick said:

Any ideas?

Add a reply

I had the same problem, I have hp pavilion dv7 4283cl with windows 7, now I upgraded to windows 8 and the ATI drive does not work with windows 8, the screen went black. with the help from windows 8 tech, we disable the ATI driver and did updates on the intel core driver that is integrated into the mother board and it now works fine. I also call the AMD who owns the ATI driver and the technician inform me that at this time, there is no updated driver for windows 8, but was told to check in with them from time to time to see if there is an update. your only option is to do a restore to the date before you installed the driver.
I hope this helps you.

It seems that even when there is a new driver available, that's no guarantee of it working. I recently tried to update the driver for my Radeon HD 7700. I'm running Win 8 x64. The installer updates the Catalyst Control Centre and various drivers, as soon as I allow the driver install though, blank screen. The only way to get it back is to use the Win 8 recovery disk to do a system restore.

I've tried un-plugging one of my monitors, in case it's trying to push the main log-in screen to the wrong one and it isn't showing for some reason (although I must admit, this was a pretty last-ditch type thing). Nothing.

Pretty poor show in my view.
m
l
!