Another 6970 or 570

Status
Not open for further replies.

fosho

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: This week

BUDGET RANGE: $350 - 375

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming (All Valve games, BFBC2, SC2, COD: Black Ops, Mass Effect 2, Star Wars: Old Republic, Diablo 3)

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: GPU - 1 GB ATI Radeon 4650 PSU - Corsair TX 750W

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS:
Core i7 860
ASUS P7P55D-E LX LGA 1156 (no SLI or CF)
G.skill Ripjaws 8 GB RAM
Coolermaster HAF 922

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: No preference, but probably Newegg

PARTS PREFERENCES: AMD 6970 or nVidia GTX 570

OVERCLOCKING: No

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No (at least not with current mobo)

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 2048x1152

I have created another thread about whether or not to get a 6970 or 570. I am currently leaning towards getting the 6970 for the extra memory and what appears to be a slight advantage at higher resolutions. Otherwise it seems to be a dead heat. The difference in price doesn't make that big of a difference for me. It is just a matter of what is the better card. I am planning on using this card for quite some time.

Can anyone sway me one way or the other? Thanks!!

Digital Dissent

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
The 6970 will serve you better at the very high rezolution you are running with its 2gb of memory. They are about the same speed otherwise. The 6970 may be faster in the long run, but there is no assurance of that.

In my research, I see the performance in the games you listed as basically similar. The main difference I saw was that GTX 570 has a little bit better heatsink than the HD6970 that keeps the card quieter and cooler. That will be even more apparent with a modded 6950 to 6970.

fosho

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
Is it worth waiting for the custom cooling? Or should I just go with the reference design?

In addition, any one manufacturer stand out from the others for the 6970? MSI, Sapphire, XFX (double lifetime warranty, but they seem skimpy on accepting claims)?

Or you can go for the GTX570, which has a stock vapor chamber cooler that was used as custom cooling on several last generation cards. Custom coolers will vent heat inside the case. On a GTX460, they increase case temperatures by ~4c. On a much hotter 6970, which pushes operating temperatures towards the 90c range, the impact on case temperatures will be much greater than 4c. Custom coolers trade off lower GPU temps for higher case temps.

EVGA-GTX-460-SC-EE-77.jpg

That has been the lesson learned this week with the BIOS unlocking revelation. If you are comfortable with flashing your BIOS, there is little reason to get a 6970 (unless you want the 6970's higher rated memory). Despite the dual BIOS recovery option, I'm wondering if there are any hidden drawbacks that we are yet to see in the modded 6950>6970's.

Status
Not open for further replies.