Sign in with
Your question

Advice please. Solid build?

Last response: in Systems
March 2, 2011 6:39:41 PM

New to gaming on pcs and I am trying to build a decent rig for gaming that will last a bit and that I can upgrade in the future. My main purpose for the computer will be gaming, entertainment center, graphic design programs. I have every intention to utilize Eyefinity technology sometime in the near future as well. This is my attempt, I built a model through CyberpowerPC, what do you think? Does it work? lol

Thanks!!

All together the price is around $1400
Any and all advice is welcomed!

# CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-2600K 3.40 GHz 8M Intel Smart Cache LGA1155 (All Venom OC Certified)
# HDD: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [-25] (Single Hard Drive)
# MEMORY: 8GB (2GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory Module (Kingston HyperX)
# MOTHERBOARD: [CrossFireX/SLI] Asus P8P67 Pro Intel P67 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ UEFI, DIGI+VRM, 7.1 HD Audio, BT GO!, GbLAN, USB 3.0, 2x SATA-III RAID, 3 Gen2 PCIe, 2 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI [B3 Stepping] [+75]
# SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
# VIDEO: AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card [-19] (Major Brand Powered by AMD)
# CAS: CoolerMaster Elite 430 Mid-Tower Gaming Case with Side Panel Window
# OVERCLOCK: Extreme OC (Extreme Overclock 20% or more) [+49]
# POWERSUPPLY: * 850 Watts - Corsair CMPSU-850TX 80 Plus Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready
# CD: * Asus BC-08B1LT 8X Blu-Ray Player & DVDRW Combo [+44] (BLACK COLOR
# FAN: XtremeGear Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA) (Single Standard 120MM Fan)

More about : advice solid build

March 2, 2011 6:42:57 PM

I know I say this everywhere but save yourself a $100 and get the i5-2500K. Everyone is here and that's because for the price-tag, it's better.

Also, if you do heed my words and get the i5 instead of the i7, replace the HD6870 with the HD5870; Better card for pretty much everything except tesselation...
m
l
March 3, 2011 2:09:35 PM

Thank you Omni!

Will hyper threading benefit my Graphic Design software though? If so, will it be noticeable for the extra $100? I will be running Adobe Creative Suit as well as gaming and a entertainment center.

Also, I do plan on utilizing crossfire sometime the in the future. Should I still go with paying a bit more for the 5870?

I am now leaning towards building my own. I am becoming quite fascinated with this process and see it as a good opportunity to learn my machine. I also really want to use Silverstones Raven! I will re-post the build in the appropriate forum thread.

m
l
Related resources
March 3, 2011 2:27:00 PM

Hyper-threading is a benefit but if you plan to run many applications at once then perhaps you should get a 6-core Thuban processor by AMD, they're roughly the same price as a Sandy Bridge I believe. Of course, you would need to get a motherboard with AM3 instead of 1155.

Okay if you plan CrossfireX then the HD6870 will be a better option; Here is a hierarchy chart:
2x HD6870
HD5870
HD6870

Silverstone Raven: Nice case, never seen that one before.
m
l
March 4, 2011 11:23:33 PM

Do not get anything branded extreme gear from them or the self branded cyberpower stuff. If you have to have water cooling go with the 570 unit.
Its always better to build your own if you feel comfortable with it.
You can as you did use their builder then just order the pieces from newegg or amazon.
The water coolers they sell though are oem and you wont find them at new egg.
You can get the alc or corsair branded ones though.
The other good thing about sandybridge is as per INTEL compatable with the Ivybridge processors in the future so you will have an upgrade path. The rest of the parts look good though. The blue ray player soft ware they provide is iffy at best until you pay for the upgraded version. Also look for a firmware up grade for the blue ray also.
m
l
!