Sign in with
Your question

Looking for a custom built, unlimited budget! plus gtx 580 prize!

Last response: in Systems
March 2, 2011 7:00:08 PM

hi im looking for the best possible spec for a PC, (UK) i have a budget which is practically unlimited (£10,000), looking for everything to be the best, and lowest possible PSU wattage, and preferably 80-90+

thanks, oh and also person who i think has given me what i want wins a used (but only for a week or two) Nvidia Geforce gtx 580:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/product-geforce-gtx-580-us...

looking for a PC for intense gaming, (to show off =P), to process large HD videos, etc.

thanks! =D
March 2, 2011 7:02:24 PM

monitor is needed with a separate budget of £700 (if thats not enough then say, but i really dont want to spend too much =P).
March 2, 2011 7:20:42 PM

Fill out the form in the sticky. Link in my sig.

Is this a workstation? if so what software? Gaming? If so what games? Do you want eyefinity, 3d vision surround? What shops can you use to purchase stuff? etc.
March 2, 2011 7:24:01 PM

Your specifications are somewhat unclear. A "competent" gamer can be built that will run on a 450W PSU, but it sounds like what you want is a high-end multi-GPU system that will probably require a lot more. A pair of GTX560s will run on an 80+ Gold Seasonic X-650, but I'm not sure even that is up to your performance expectations.
What games do you want to play, at what resolution, with what minimum performance?
March 2, 2011 7:41:10 PM

ROFL

1st of all, you can have a professional build you a system for less than half the cost of a GTX580 and warranty the entire system. Get real.

Count me out of your scam please!
March 2, 2011 7:50:11 PM

£10,000=over $16,000 for anybody wondering

Well for the BEST possible, you could do
2x Intel Xeon x5690
EVGA Classified SR-2 270-WS-W555-A2
48GB 2000MHz Triple Channel DDR3
4x GTX 580
All the SSD's you can possibly want
watercooling for CPUs, GPUs
any case that'll fit a HPTX mobo
1500-2000 watt PSU
optical drives

OR

i7 990X,
ASUS Rampage III Extreme,
24GB DDR3 2000,
4x GTX 580,
1500-2000 watt PSU,
water cooling,
fan controller,
coolermaster Haf-X nvidia edition,
4x 256GB OCZ Vetex 2's for storage(RAID0),
and 2x 120GB Crucial RealSSD C300s for boot(RAID0).
BR drive

The fewer GPUs you have, the lower wattage PSU you'll need. Keep in mind that your PSU will draw only what it needs.

That's the best of the best. I'd personally recommend:
an i7 2600k,
ASUS maximus IV Extreme,
24GB 1600MHz RAM (max supported by SB),
2x ASUS Direct CU II GTX560Ti,
750 Watt PSU,
6x250GB OCZ Vertex 2(RAID0) for storage,
4x Crucial RealSSD C300 120GB RAID0 for OS,
BR drive
Coolermaster Hyper212+ or any other good air cooling solution,
and any case that'll fit 10 SSDs.

Also, if you're not too keen into building this yourself, give this a look. Probably the best company out there right now.
March 2, 2011 9:02:58 PM

Thanks, this is my 4th build, but wanted to make it a really good one, my GTX 580 is from my last build which had a generic PSU fatality... Mobo and stuff is dead, but after testing gpu, it's working but I don't want it since I don't know how long it's gonna last, hence the giveaway.

And I want to play at around a Resolution of 1920x1200, at around 80fps+ connected to my projector, and I wanted a monitor for general/doing other stuff.

The main reason I want this PC is for very high quality gaming and for showing off kinda.
March 2, 2011 9:03:45 PM

And I dot mind 1000w + PSUs I meant that they should be efficient. Also I have a 3D tv in my lIving room which I could use for 3D gaming, so that would be good too.
March 2, 2011 9:47:58 PM

dang, I wish I had your budget. I only get $700 USD to work with, lol. Your possibilities are seemingly endless but I would go with the build mention by PudgyChicken with the classified mobo (just because it has so many awesome features.) But if you want to be practical, go with the 2600k build he mentioned or a variant of it.
March 2, 2011 10:56:26 PM

Best .... uhmmm..... best for what ? Gaming .... I can spend $6K (US) plus on an 1155 system w/o even going to water cooling.

Case - $160 - Antec DF-85
Case Fans - $15 - Antec Red 120 mm
PSU - $150 - Antec CP-1000
MoBo - $270 - ASUS Maximus Extreme
CPU - $330 - Intel Core i5-2600K
Cooler - $80 - Thermalright Sliver Arrow
TIM - $5 - Shin Etsu
RAM - $155 - (2 x 4GB) Mushkin CAS 7
RAM $155 Same
GFX - $500 - EVGA GTX 580
GFX - $500 - Same
GFX - $500 - Same
HD - $65 - Spinpoint F3
HD - $65 Same
SSD - $245 - Crucual C300 2.5" 128GB
SSD $245 Same
Card Reader $35 AFT XM-35U
DVD Writer - $130 - ASUS Blu-ray BurnerBW-12B1LT w/ LS
OS - $140 - Win 7-64 Pro OEM
Monitor - $500 - Asus VG236H 120 Hz
Monitor - $500 Same
Monitor - $500 Same
3D Vision $220 NVidia Starcraft Edition
Speakers $400 Logitech z5500
Card Reader $38 AFT Pro-35U
Keyboard - $180 - Logitech G19
Mouse - $100 - Logitech G9

March 2, 2011 10:59:46 PM

Whoa.
...whoa.

Give me a minute, I'll give you the most ungodly computer that you'll ever see.

UPDATE:

Here we go. Enjoy. ;) 
Motherboard: EVGA x58 Classified 4-Way SLI
CPU: Intel i7-990x
Case: CoolerMaster HAF X
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 12GB DDR3-1333 CAS-7
GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 580 x2 SLI
PSU: Corsair Professional 1200w Modular
Storage (Main): OCZ RevoDrive x2 240GB PCIe SSD
Storage (Data): Samgsung Spinpoint F3 1TB

Sound Card: HT Omega Claro Halo XT PCIe

3D Setup: nVidia 3D Vision Kit
Optical: LG 10X Blu-Ray Drive w/ LightScribe
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14

God, why does everyone kick sound to the curb for no reason? Has your audio experience become less important than your visual?
And come, now... just because he has the biggest budget I've ever seen, it doesn't mean it's time to completely throw practicality out the window. I see no reason to throw in Windows 7 Professional, nor absurd amounts of storage that will probably never be used. Just my opinion, though... I tried to keep everything value-oriented and keep out all the junk you'll probably never use that typically comes with ultra-high budget requests. :na: 

And your price total for that computer alone is: Around 2,700 Pounds.
Now, I'm not going to recommend any peripherals such as mice or monitors, because honestly, it's flat out better to go try them out yourself. No free video card will ever get me to give advice that I'm not sure is the best possible. One person may like one size of mouse with one grip, and someone else will like another. Monitors... well... are just monitors. I don't really know how to word this - specs don't really matter in the world of Monitors - it's what you think looks best. No amount of pictures on the internet will truly let you experience a monitor before you buy it. :D 

I can see you want an efficient setup, so I'm not going to suggest three SLI'd 580's. Your budget will be through the roof in power bills if I do so. That Corsair 1200w is probably one of the best power supplies that I've ever seen (It's 80+ GOLD rated), and you'll want to be safe with all of the hardware packed into that setup. Once again, let's be honest here. One GTX 580 alone is more than anyone could possibly need for a single monitor setup. Just remember, that even if a PSU is rated at 1200w, it doesn't mean that it's drawing that amount of power all the time. It only gives the computer what it needs, and a Gold certified supply is probably one of the most efficient at doing so available.

Two 580's will be more than enough for a triple monitor setup, save for ultra-high Crysis or Metro 2033. Heck, if you decide that you want more performance, grab another one and stick it in there - I suggested that XL ATX motherboard for a reason. :D  Your budget will more than allow for it, and that PSU will be able to hold it. I'm not sure if it can handle quad SLI, so I'd do a little research before going that way if you want to. Three will be plenty of power, though, I'm hoping. :D 

Oh, and since you'll have that ungodly high-quality sound card, I'd suggest an equally impressive set of headphones to go with it, if you're a headphone type of guy.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA04P...
That's coming directly from my research into the best pair of commercial headphones I can find. I spend days trying to find those, and there they are. Absolutely amazing. ;) 

I'll let accessory shopping up to you. If you want any lighting, cable management kits, card readers, or anything else like that, I'll leave it up to you to decide.

Really sorry that all my prices are in american dollars - NewEgg is the only thing I can reference that has everything I want to show you in one place. I did a rough estimate of how much it would cost you up there, but you'll have to look into it further to be exact.
Feel free to ask any questions. :) 
March 2, 2011 11:17:53 PM

This is a little bit retarded. You can get a PC that will stomp everything you throw at it for significantly less than half that budget. Unless you just like pissing money away for no reason.
March 3, 2011 12:25:02 AM

IDK why, I just have that natural reaction for people with +2000$ budgets to Trololololololololol on them. Just a reflex...
March 3, 2011 12:48:00 AM

OK, not sure if this is real or not but it like fun anyway.

CPU: Intel Core i7-990X Extreme Edition Gulftown 3.46GHz 6 x 256KB L2 Cache 12MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor £611
Mobo: GIGABYTE G1.Assassin LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 XL ATX Intel Motherboard £324
GPU: ASUS ARES/2DIS/4GD5 Radeon HD 5870 X2 4GB (2 cards in crossfire) £1186
Boot: Crucial RealSSD C300 128GB 2.5IN Solid State Disk Flash Drive SATA3 6Gbps £171
Storage: OCZ Colossus LT 1TB 3.5IN SATA2 Solid State Disk Flash Drive SSD £2044
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR GT 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (2 sets) £439
PSU: SILVERSTONE Strider Gold ST1200-G 1200W ATX 12V v2.3 / EPS 12V 80 PLUS GOLD Certified 100% Modular £177
Case: Mountain Mods Ascension (you decide how it will be built) £244-£306
Sound: ASUS 90-YAA0E0-0UAN00Z 7.1 Channels 24-bit 24 bit 44.10 kHz Playback 24 bit 48 kHz Playback 24 bit 96 kHz Playback 24 bit 192 kHz Playback PCI Interface Xonar Essence Sound Card £134
Cooling:
Water Cooling:
Find all this out yourself, budget of £1000? I dont know.

total price without a monitor: £6501
(I dont know the first thing about high end monitors, I game on an 800x800 vga LCD :D )
Most people are suggesting quad sli 580s, and while that may work, quad sli scales badly and the cards I have suggested preform better at a lower power cost. You seem afraid of high wattage PSU's. Dont be, they only pull 1500w when they need it, not constantly. Have fun with your watercooling and I dont knwo what to think about this being real or not.
-allix24-
March 3, 2011 1:04:35 AM

...I have to admit that I'm a bit... confused... by him supposedly giving away a 580 only to buy two more, but oh well; looked like something fun to reply to, anyway. :D 

I'm not sure who I yelled at earlier on... lol... sorry about that if it was you. Was a little mad at the world at that time... :sarcastic: 

I can't really say that two Asus ARES cards would outperform three, or even two, GTX 580s, but oh well. Quad SLI is generally a bad idea, though, as it just makes more problems than it's worth, and you'll never even need that much power anyway.
March 3, 2011 1:20:22 AM

someguynamedmatt said:
...I have to admit that I'm a bit... confused... by him supposedly giving away a 580 only to buy two more, but oh well; looked like something fun to reply to, anyway. :D 

I'm not sure who I yelled at earlier on... lol... sorry about that if it was you. Was a little mad at the world at that time... :sarcastic: 

I can't really say that two Asus ARES cards would outperform three, or even two, GTX 580s, but oh well. Quad SLI is generally a bad idea, though, as it just makes more problems than it's worth, and you'll never even need that much power anyway.

The Ares are because I'm an ATI fanboy :D 
I never really thought he'd give anything away, I like you did this for the fun of it. I think we both designed computers that neither of us will ever own but let us show our creative side.
:bounce: 
March 3, 2011 2:22:14 PM

Well budget wise you'd have to consider his background. If he's just an enthusiast who like myself just does it for fun, his budget isn't that out of whack, especially if he only does a build every 3 or 4 years.

I probably spend ~$5000 a year on builds, so yea, pretty much that much money over a 3 year period. Really don't see the need to spend more than say $3k on a build though.

Here's the list for my benchmark build of 2011. I'll be holding off until after bulldozer and possibly gen 3 intel ssd's come out.

My goal this year is to build a eyefinity gaming PC that's for all intents, silent at idle and below room ambient during day while gaming.

Case
Silverstone Fortress 2 $250
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

HD's
2tb Spinpoint F4 x4 $90 each

I do a raid 10 with those, but since I doubt you need that much storage, feel free to go with just 1 of them, or even a WD ecogreen EARS 2tb drive, or 2 if you want to raid.

GPU
Asus 6970 2gb and XFX 6970 2gb $385 + $380

Different cooler types since airflow will be restricted for the top GPU. The Asus CU gpu's are usually pretty quiet, but I may switch it over to Gelid Icy Vision for bottom GPU+ accelero rev 2 for the top GPU if the temps/noise doesn't turn out the way I like.

PSU
Corsair AX 750 $170

You could get an 850, but considering that the build will be under 601 w at full furmark load (601 outlet, so assuming 85% efficiency from anandtech numbers, 510 watts in actuality), 171w at idle, it fits the maximum efficiency curve of a 750W PSU better.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4061/amds-radeon-hd-6970-...

CPU
i7-2600k $330

HSF
Megahalem + scythe slipstream $65 + $14

Thermal compound
AS MTX $6

That's $2300 right there.

Add in another $200 for mobo, still waiting to see once they're back out.
$200-$300 for a 120gb SSD. I want to see how the Final G3 Intel ssd's come out before I make my decision, but I really don't see the need for the crazy sustained read/write speeds that companies keep pushing onto us. It's not a storage drive, its a boot drive, I'm not gonna be moving huge files all the time.

I figure it'll be ~$2800 when I'm done, a little more if I end up going with aftermarket GPU cooling.

I don't need an OS, but you can grab win 7 premium home for $100.
Also should throw in an optical if you need 1. Any cheap $20 sata cd/dvd burner will suffice. I personally never use mine.

Monitor wise I'll be getting a new set of Dell 23" Ultrasharps. A set of 3 is doable for $700 after tax when Dell has it's constant 30% off deals.
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c...

Another thing to consider is the UPS.
I use this Cyberpower $185, adaptive sine wave rather than pure, but it's better than the cheap PSU's, especially for active PFC PSU's.

However, you could go all out and grab this APC
http://www.amazon.com/APC-SUA1500-1500VA-Servers-Networ...

edit: Oops forgot to link the RAM. 2 kits of g skill eco DD3 1600 cas 7 $67 each
March 3, 2011 5:50:42 PM

allix24 said:
The Ares are because I'm an ATI fanboy :D 
I never really thought he'd give anything away, I like you did this for the fun of it. I think we both designed computers that neither of us will ever own but let us show our creative side.
:bounce: 

Heh, I couldn't have said it better. Actually, I absolutely love the ARES... if I had $1000 to go towards a video card, that would be what I'd get. It's compact, cool (compared to two cards in Crossfire), and just flat out looks awesome. Hell, NewEgg is giving away an entire x58 motherboard to go with it. Plus, a free mouse... not that you'll need it, but it's still awesome. :D  I'm kind of an AMD fanboy myself, actually. Can't beat their prices. ;) 
!