Is there any hope?

Edsyers

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2011
Hi,

I have a Packard Bell Easynote laptop with Windows 7 (only got it at Christmas), and not so long ago I got a virus. I went to a computer shop and they said that I would need to restore my laptop to factory settings, which he started. I was in a rush, so as soon as I got home I put my laptop on charge and left.

Later, I opened my computer to find that it doesn't start up! It begins with the Packard Bell logo, then the 'starting windows' logo, before saying 'Setup is preparing your computer for first use'. After a few seconds, it comes up with this message:

"The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered and unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install Windows, click 'OK' to restart the computer, and then restart installation"

Every time I restart the computer, the same message appears. I've all but given up hope, but if there was any way I get my laptop back I would appreciate it.

Cheers.

synthaside

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
is the data ( stuff that's on there important to you)

if so i would recommend doing something like using a live boot ubuntu to try to recover some of it first .. here is a good how to guide, yes its using linux but trust me its not scary or going to do any harm to your already sorry for itself laptop

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

Then use your restore CD for the laptop ... or if its like many common laptops these days it may have a hidden restore partition tap f11 ( i think for packard bell) or f2 while booting up to go to the bios and look for the recovery part-ion

last case go back to the store ... if it was me and i had done a slaphdash job i'd give you a discount at least .. if not sort it free.
then just as ge

""restore my laptop to factory settings"" can have a number of meanings and take you in quite a few directions. Without knowing what was done to the computer it is hard to speculate.

You should return to the computer shop and let them handle it.

vvhocare5

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
Hope usually means you are wishing for an outcome that know is not going to happen.

The nature of this Setup message makes me think your data is gone - thats the bad part.... Reinstalling Windows will be easy - and please use one of the free antivirus tools out there. Dont sign up for ANY of the pay services...