Sign in with
Your question

Black smudges/fingerprints in Corsair 650D case

Last response: in Components
June 1, 2011 5:48:34 PM

I just received my new Corsair 650D case. When I opened it up I noticed some black fingerprints/smudges on the inside of the case. The shipping box was sealed and did not appear to be tampered with.

I wiped most of the smudges off with a cloth and some water & rubbing alcohol.

- Do you think me getting some of this black stuff on my hands, and then touching my motherboard would cause shorts in any way? i.e. Do you think this stuff is conductive?
- If I missed wiping some of these smudges off, do you think that would cause issues down the line?
- Should I RMA the case, or is that going overboard?

I was grounded while building my PC.
June 1, 2011 7:24:05 PM

You will be just fine with wiping it out.
m
l
June 2, 2011 3:46:39 AM

ubercake said:
You will be just fine with wiping it out.

Thanks ubercake. What if I miss some smudges? Would I be likely to have issues later on? The case is black and these are black smudges, so it makes it really tough to see.
m
l
Related resources
June 2, 2011 9:45:34 AM

You really shouldn't have to worry about anything that's not touching the metal on you components. If you missed a smudge somewhere, you should be fine. If it's something you can't see, the chances of it not affecting anything are great.

One thing you can do, if you're still not convinced, is give Corsair a call, explain it to them and see what they say.

If it were me, beside the smudges, if the rest of the case looked fine (overall construction, wires to the front panel, holes drilled properly for the standoffs, etc...), I'd just wipe out the smudges, and go with it.
m
l
June 2, 2011 3:00:00 PM

ubercake said:
One thing you can do, if you're still not convinced, is give Corsair a call, explain it to them and see what they say.

If it were me, beside the smudges, if the rest of the case looked fine (overall construction, wires to the front panel, holes drilled properly for the standoffs, etc...), I'd just wipe out the smudges, and go with it.

I talked to Corsair tech support yesterday and they said it should be fine, and even if I got some of the smudges on my hands and touched my components, the residue would not be likely to cause a short. I'll give the inside of the case another swipe tonight with a damp towel and leave it at that.

Follow up question: does using rubbing alcohol (isopropanol) to clean the inside of my case cause any problems? I just used a bit on a q-tip to wipe up some of this residue.
m
l
June 2, 2011 3:09:13 PM

It's OK to use. It's probably a better option than water because it evaporates quickly.
m
l
June 4, 2011 12:33:48 AM

Thanks again ubercake.
m
l
!