P6T6 WS Revo won't read all the memory...

davbeisner

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
Wow, first off, a note to the Mods... the sticky at the top of this thread needs some serious updating!

Ok, now: I have an Asus P6T6 WS Revolution motherboard, with the latest BIOS flashed this morning via the Asus BIOS Update Utility for Windows. The board is advertised as supporting up to 24GB of DDR3 memory via 6x4GB chips. I bought 24GB of DDR3-1600 memory (G-Skill F3-12800CL9T2-24GBRL) advertised as being triple channel for i7 series CPUs. It's not listed in the supported RAM modules for the MOBO, but there is another one listed that is just a couple numbers off in the model number (12800CL9D) and the compatibility list that Asus has is a couple years old. Either way, I figured it would work.

I've installed all six DIMMs, but the system (Windows and BIOS) are reading it as 16GB of DDR3-1066. All my OC settings in the BIOS are set to Auto, with the exception that I've disabled the Intel Speedstep Technology. What do I need to do to get my system to recognize all 24GB of memory, and to recognize it at the correct speed? (I'm running Windows 7x64 Ultimate).

My other system specs are as follows:
Asus P6T6 WS Revolution motherboard
Intel i7-920 (D0 revision)
EVGA GTX580 3GB Video card
RocketRaid controller card
Assortment of SATA drives and optical drives
Windows 7x64 Ultimate

Thanks!

noidis

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
Have you tried to test the sticks separately to make sure one set might not be bad? And obviously make sure it's seated properly. But make sure the board and the ram aren't faulty first!

Does the motherboard have the XMP profile in the bios? You could try enableing the XMP profile and see if that makes a difference.
The motherboard says it will support 1333 and 1066 naturally and 1600(oc) 1800(oc) 1866(oc) and 2000(oc) , so I would give the XMP ptofile a shot sinc that MB doesn't support 1600mhz naturally.

davbeisner

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
Hmm... Someone else on another thread suggested trying to turn XMP off... There isn't something labeled XMP Profile, but under the AI OC Tweaker, the settings are Manual, Auto, DOCP, and XMP. It had been on Auto, I then tried it on Manual, and I guess I'll try it on XMP next. I also need to pull out the chips and test each one in the A1 slot by itself I suppose, per Noidis suggestion.

davbeisner

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009

By the way, when I set it to manual, I was able to change the memory frequency to 1600... still am not seeing more than 16GB. I'm finishing up a project export on my system now, but when it's done I'm going to go in and test each stick individually and make sure they all work.

davbeisner

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
Although, actually, I just realized that since the CPU-Z program shows all 24GB, there can't be any bad sticks... I just need to figure out how to get the BIOS and Windows to recognize all 24GB. I'll try the XMP setting next, but if that doesn't work, what would be the next suggestion?

I would have to say that is bizar that cpu-z can see 24gb and windows and the bios see 16gb , that's just crazy. But maybe not because I have the 980x cpu and windows sees it as 3.33ghz even though in the bios I have it overclocked to 4.2ghz.
Cpu-z also sees it at 4.2ghz
What happens if you take out three of the ram sticks? Does it see 12gb? I would try three sticks in the blue slots and then three in the black slots.

unstatusthequo

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012

I am in the exact same situation, but rather than showing 16GB, it's showing 20GB when CPU-Z shows 24GB. It's very odd.
The only differences in our system is you have a better video card and separate RAID card. I'm running an i7 965 Extreme. I noticed there are two XMP profiles in the Bios. I'll try each as well and see what comes of it.

unstatusthequo

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Here is CPU-Z and Windows System Properties

DKBK7.png

LRP1999

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
Hi,

same problem with P6T6 WS Revolution + 24Gb Patriot PX7312G2000ELK + Win7 Pro = 16Gb detected by BIOS

CPU-z properly detected all slots, total 24Gb

Tryed different BIOS setting -> none of them work.

Is there any working solutions ?

LRP1999

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
Boring answer from ASUS:

Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.

My name is Carter and it's my pleasure to help you with your problem.

Clear cmos,you can refer to the manual.
If possible,please use other memorys for test.
If still,you will need to contact our RMA department for assistance as follows:

1) If you have Internet access, you can visit this website:
http://vip.asus.com/eservice/usa_rmaserv.aspx
to request an RMA.
Please include your name, mailing address, telephone number, and the serial number of your product.

2) Also, you could call our RMA department at 812-282-2787 (Hours: 5:30am – 9:00pm(PST) support) select option 2 then option 2. Please have the serial number of your ASUS product handy when you call.
Welcome to refer Troubleshooting & FAQ for ASUS products in ASUS website:
http://support.asus.com/servicehome.aspx?SLanguage=en

If you continue to experience issues in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Machistmo

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012

Im sure this is WAY past anyone caring but I am going to post it anyway. I had a similar problem with my P6T6 Ws Revolution not seeing all the ram installed. The solution for me was the heatsink. The bottom plate did not have neoprene washers (Noctua NH U12P) insulating it from the Motherboard. This caused erratic at best performance. Home Depot sold me 4 washers for .78 Cents US. Installed them and have had no issues since.