I am looking to upgrade my Dell XPS 730x for gaming and entertainment purposes. The system specs are as follows:
- XPS 730X, Intel Core3 I7-940 (2.93GHz, 8MB cache)
- 6GB Multi-Channel DDR3 at 1066MHZ (3x2GB DIMM)
- CrossFireX, Dual ATI Radeon HD4850 512MB
- 500GB - SATA-II, 3GB/S 7200RPM, 16MB Cache
- Dell 19 in 1 Media Reader withBluetooth 2.0
- Microsoft Windows Vista SP1 64-bit Home Premium (English)
- 16x CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability
- Soundblaster X-Fi Xtreme GamerPCIe
- Copper base Heat Sink with aluminum fins
I assume that the easiest thing would be to replace the video card, but I am unsure if the motherboard would support any of the new Directx 11 compatible video cards. Please let me know what your thoughts are in terms of possible upgrades. I looking to spend no more than $750.
I don't recommend you do anything else; you already have 6 gb of ram, which is plenty for most tasks. Matching dell ram can be costly; again, I would check ebay or craigslist if you want to use 6 gb more; matching the brand and speed of your current ram is the safest way to go. Many dells use samsung.