Enabling CrossfireX in Windows 7 64-bit

RoadKill_07

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010
For Christmas i got a new OS, Windows 7 64-bit, and so far I like it. I upgraded from Windows XP 32-bit, where the Crossfire or CrossfireX enabled itself, but Windows 7 didn't do it. I installed all the drivers and enabled it, but of course it didn't work. I'm new to Windows 7 so I'm not sure what's up.

Any fixes would be awesome.

thanks guys

RoadKill_07

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010

Yes it is, and these drivers are up to date too. I have no idea what to do. I might just go call AMD.

Traildriver

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
I suggest to try running TechPowerUp GPU-Z (Google it and download from a reputable site) and have it analyze your setup. Does it recognize both cards in crossfire?.

Does your Windows System Information display both cards?

Also, everything I read states that CCC (Catalyst Control Center) auto enables crossfire if it sees both cards. That's what it did for me. Look for the crossfire screen in CCC and see if the statement"Crossfire enabled" is there. Don't even trust Smart Doctor to see the second card. Mine sure did not see the second EAH5850 but CCC and TechPowerUp did.

I assume you did not open the case to do a OS upgrade but perhaps Murphy helped you out at the moment of OS upgrade and decided to loosen a conection in the case to the second card. Check the crossfire bridge, power cables and seating in the slots.

Of course if all else fails reinstall the video drivers. I understand that a very few are having probs with the latest ATI driver set so try an earlier version.

Traildriver

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010

If TechPowerUp say no then no it is. Check your connections, card seating, try a different Xfire bridge between the cards (some even swear by using 2 if your cards allow it), verify that in Windows that system Information sees 2 cards. Then uninstall and reinstall the drivers from either ATI's website or your card manufacturers site.

Was there any hardware change, or just a new OS and it's associated drivers (chipset/mb, video etc)?