Help me spot improvements to my latest build!

Thrmo

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
Is seems like it's that time once again to build a new gaming rig. First and foremost this is going to be a Sandy Bridge build so the motherboard is not available yet, but I've listed it below.

The aim of this system is mostly gaming (FPS and some MMOs), at 1920x1080 at the moment, however that may change in the future. I will be purchasing as soon as the motherboard is available.

I will be keeping my Antec 300 as the chassis along with my current 500 GB WD HHD, DVD drive, and heatsink (listed below). I recently bought a new GPU as a part of this upgrade process (XFX HD 6970) so I will list the GPU but I already have that. The parts listed from Amazon are sourced their since we have Amazon Prime :) .

Motherboard - ASRock P67 Extreme 4
RAM - G.Skill Ripjaw X Series 8gb (2 x 4GB)
CPU - Intel Core i5 2500k
Heatsink - Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus (I already own this heatsink)
GPU - Radeon XFX HD 6970 2 GB (I already own this GPU)
PSU - Corsair HX 850

I will also be replacing the two exhaust fans in my Antec 300 with:
Top Fan - AreoCool Shark 140mm
Rear Fan - AeroCool Shark 120mm

So, do you guys see any glairing issues?

I plan to hopefully add a second HD 6970 down the road, if I do would this PSU be sufficient? Most of what I've read says yes, but I'm not very familiar with calculating PSU requirements.

Finally looking to the future, if I so add a second HD 6970 should I look to replace my Antec 300 case is the airflow sufficient? Currently it run relatively cool, but I'd rather not tempt the heat monster.

If budget demands, stick w/ the Asrock but the Asus P8P67 Pro is a better board.....better yet the Asus Sabertooth TUF w/ militarized components and 5 year warranty.

Will that RAM fit under ya CPU heatsink ? If ya add a 2nd pair ?

Again, if budget demands, get the 212, bit the Scythe Mugen 2 SCMG 2100 is well worth the extra $10

Don't understand matching 2nd tier "budget build" components with a Corsair HX series. This XFX is a performance / quality match for the HX series (both get same 10.0 performance rating on jonnyguru.com) and is substantially cheaper.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207001

Thrmo

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
Thanks for the reply. The PSU is $165 with a $15 rebate on Amazon at the moment which brings it to $150, but I hadn't noticed the rebate on on the XFX one. Thanks for the heads up.

As far as the heatsink, I already have the Hyper 212+ so I'll stick with that and deal with RAM clearance if i get a second set of RAM.

I settled on the ASRock Extreme4 after reading this AnandTech review I believe. But am willing to take a look at other obviously. Any idea what the price range would be for the Sabertooth TUF?

I probably should have mentioned the budget for these parts (once again excluding GPU, Heatsink, Case, HDD, and DVD drive) would be $700 - $750. excluding shipping.