Sign in with
Your question

Computer lagg every 2 seconds gameplay :(

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
June 1, 2011 10:00:26 PM

Hey their guys.

I have a desktop gaming pc here, that was working perfect for more than a year then suddenly started to lag during game play. Now even programs are sometimes starting to not respond. Here is the specs below

RAM: 4 GB
32 bit windows 7 ultimate
Processor: AMD Atholon 64 X2 Duel Core 5000+ 2.61 GHz
Graphics Card: GeForce 9600 GSO 768MB DDR2
Hard Drive: Sata connected 250GB

I have tryed dusting the computer and the prosessor,
I have tryed using uniblue speed up my pc, registry cleaner, drivers update. Did run all of them didnt help. I have de-fraged.
I have installed avg free protection, and i connected an old ide hard drive, installed a clean windows 7 with drivers, and games like mineraft were still laggy.

Please help me i dont no what to do anymore
June 1, 2011 10:13:22 PM

I'm thinking that his HDD is dying, but I'm not too sure. A friend of mine kept getting the same problem and it was due to his HDD that was dying. After he got a new HDD, his computer seemed to not 'lag' anymore.
June 1, 2011 10:18:01 PM

Hey thanks for giving your support :) 

Here is a link to my motherboard : http://us.msi.com/index.php?func=proddesc&maincat_no=1&...

The games used to run perfectly though untill recently, thats what i dont understand.
I use my pc for daily browsing, facebook, etc. But i also play games like left for dead 2, counter strike source, etc.

and another thing weard is the browsing of the web is really slow on some webpages, it doesnt load. This pc used to be a dream to use, i dont know :p 
Related resources
June 1, 2011 10:31:45 PM

Well if your heatsink isn't dusty/or clogged up try downloading core-temp. See if your CPU is overheating and causeing the computer to lagg when running games...Mine did, I replaced the heatsink/cleaned my odl one out and it worked fine.
June 1, 2011 10:32:57 PM

No ive had windows 7 for a good while now, it just started lagging 3 days ago out of the blue :p  . The phenom sounds tempting, il deffo check it out :)  . Em i dont think its malware because i installed a fresh windows 7 on to an old ide hard drive, and tryed to play minecraft and it was still laggy. Its puzzeling me, but its so annoying :p 
June 1, 2011 10:33:28 PM

Try using performance monitor to see what your CPU is doing in the background.... do you see massive spikes every time it lags ?

Click on Windows button, type PERFMON in the box and hit enter
Then click on Performance Monitor (left side of window)
Keep it running for a few minutes
June 1, 2011 10:41:06 PM

tilyardinit said:
Well if your heatsink isn't dusty/or clogged up try downloading core-temp. See if your CPU is overheating and causeing the computer to lagg when running games...Mine did, I replaced the heatsink/cleaned my odl one out and it worked fine.

Hey i downloaded core temp and during ga,eplay the tempature of core 0 was arround 38 and core 1 was arround 44, these were both going over the gigh limit during gameplay. But it did work before when it was all dusty, i cleaned every last bit of dust and it still is laggy every 2 seconds, :p 
June 1, 2011 10:43:18 PM

hubbardt said:
Try using performance monitor to see what your CPU is doing in the background.... do you see massive spikes every time it lags ?

Click on Windows button, type PERFMON in the box and hit enter
Then click on Performance Monitor (left side of window)
Keep it running for a few minutes

em everythime i play i game i looked at comand propt to see the prosessor. When i loaded a gome, the prosessing spead shot up to arround 90-95, but thats even with the lowest demanding games :p  like minecraft
:p 
June 2, 2011 2:08:32 AM

and you're sure you didn't pick up a virus, or anything?
June 2, 2011 4:24:39 AM

Probably not the drive since you used another one. Possible causes in no particular order: memory, cpu, gpu, motherboard, psu, ethernet, mouse, keyboard, or any usb device that's connected. Anything that can send interrupts can slow down your system if it goes crazy. The mouse and the keyboard should be easy to borrow and swap. Download memtest86+ and test your memory, or first try different 2GB configurations and see what happens. I would consider the cpu to be the least likely cause.
a b à CPUs
June 2, 2011 6:57:40 AM

Make sure that you configured the motherboards SATA for AHCI and not IDE mode http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Host_Controller_I...

I'd also install the latest nVIDIA motherboard drivers for Windows 7 if I were you (maybe look into getting a 64-bit version of Windows 7 as well). The issue you speak of is something that plagues nVIDIA based motherboards under Windows 7. I've had similar problems myself.

Absent that... a very strange issue for sure.
a b à CPUs
June 2, 2011 10:30:26 AM

Perhaps your network connection/cabling to your router/or cable modem is suspect?

Got a spare LAN card if using integrated LAN? Try spare port on router if applicable...

Power cycle router...

ANother easy /free thing to try....drop to a single RAM stick in required slot on alternating basis, to test each...
a b à CPUs
June 2, 2011 2:45:05 PM

+1 for I would check for viruses :

I got a few costumers that caught a nasty rootkit and did exactly that.

June 2, 2011 6:02:11 PM

Hey everyone, and thanks for your supportive help :) 

I have tryed alternating the 2 gb ram cards, and no sucsess.
(ps3hacker) i have downloaded all updated drivers for the graphics card, and nothings getting better. I havent updated the motherboard as its up to date.
(dectermat) when you get a rootkit, if i changed hdd and installed a clean version of windows, would that fix the problem because i tryed that .
(mdd1963) i tryed playing games with no network connection and still no sucess

ALSO EVERYONE i have noticed that its every 1 second it freezes. 1 second its fine, 1 second its laggy . I have also noticed that its not just games but youtube videos, and searching the net has became hell, it chooses not to load some webpages, and firefox is freezing on me.

I seriously need help, i cant afford another pc and this pc was a perfect pc for me untill recently :p  THANKYOU EVERY1 FOR THE HELP AGAIN :) 
!