Had 6GB RAM, now I only have 4GB showing up

hihiman1

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
I basically removed everything off my Asus P6T SE motherboard, and spray-canned everything. Then when I started everything up, it said I only have 4GB inserted. There are two RAM groups on my motherboard, in sets of three. I orginally had all my RAM in the orange sockets for almost two years and everything was fine. Since it started to only count 4GB, I decided to put the RAM into the black socket group, but it wouldn't even boot if I did that(fans and everything turned on, but nothing on screen). So I put the RAM back in, in different orders, but I still only get 4GB. It says that in the BIOS and in the task manager, but CPUZ says I have 6144MB of RAM. I have 64 bit windows. What is wrong? And why won't my PC boot if I put the RAM in the other socket group(the black group)?

guavasauce

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
the black group is for having more than 3 sticks in. the orange slots are the primary.

so cpuz says you have 6gb, but the bios only reports 4gb? i would take out each stick and place it into the first orange slot and boot thepc and ensure the bios see it. this will test each stick. if all sticks boot and show up, you know the ram is good.

when you painted your board, you made sure you didnt get any into the dimm slots right? i would double check those.

hihiman1

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009

Thanks for the reply. I did that and it didn't help. But I solved my problem. I went into msconfig, boot, advanced options, and ticked max memory, because I read that on some forum. But it just resulted in a BSOD on startup! I couldn't even get into safe mode :lol: So I put in my installation disc, and ran a system repair. It didn't get rid of the BSOD, but I'm guessing the repair was what fixed the 4GB issue, because windows said it detected some problems. Anyway to get rid of the BSOD, I went to the repair tools and ran command prompt, typed in "bcdedit/deletevalue {default} truncatememory" and then rebooted and everything is fine now. Just posting this in case someone ends up in this thread with a similar issue. Oh and the BSOD said BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO.

edneum2

Honorable
Apr 12, 2013
Thanks alot for posting this. I googled this question thinking there was no way anything would show and it turns out your situation is almost identical to mine, 6GB only shoing 4 after opening and spraycanning everything, only I have a Samsung RC512. Just had one question for you before I try it. Did you lose anything after running system repair? Thanks in advance for any help.