Feb 1, 2012
Hello,

Should I get a

ASRock (Z68 EXTREME4 GEN3)
or
Asus (P8Z68-V/GEN3)
or
Gigabyte (GA-Z68XP-UD4)

as they are all around $20 of each other.

Important for me is overclocking a i5 2500k, future ivy bridge support, and USB ports (I use a lot)

Which one would you pick?

Solution
"When it comes to the gigabyte I have heard that it has some overclocking thing that can't be enabled"

I don't know what you've heard, but whatever it is it's false, because I have this board, and all overclocking functions work just as you'd expect them to. Maybe your thinking of their X79 UD7 board, which was discontinued because of overheating problems in the VRM section.

I think it would be a mistake to get the Asus board when the Gigabyte board is made better.

ebola28

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
the gigabyte will overclock the best because of the 16 phase VRM, the asus has the gen 3 pci-e slot but is 12 phase, and asrock is 4 phase and gen 3 pci.

The higher the phase, usually the better the overclocker the board will be.

As of right now, no GPU can fully utilize x16 gen 2 pci

deFRAGer

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
Ok I won't get the asrock. When it comes to the gigabyte I have heard that it has some overclocking thing that can't be enabled, although I don't know what it is called. I can get the Asus cheaper and quicker than the gigabyte. I think I will get the Asus because of this, even though the Gigabyte has better build quality?

Thanks

"When it comes to the gigabyte I have heard that it has some overclocking thing that can't be enabled"

I don't know what you've heard, but whatever it is it's false, because I have this board, and all overclocking functions work just as you'd expect them to. Maybe your thinking of their X79 UD7 board, which was discontinued because of overheating problems in the VRM section.

I think it would be a mistake to get the Asus board when the Gigabyte board is made better.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.