Sign in with
Your question

CPU 60-80 Degree's....

Last response: in CPUs
June 1, 2011 10:30:03 PM

Hello, I've got a Intel Duo Core 3.0, not over clocked.

I've got the artic cooler freezer 7 pro, and it still reaches around 50-70 full load, sometimes near 80.

My PC Case isn't that great, and I'm thinking maybe/it is/the airflow in the case..

Everything seems squahsed together with the heatsink and a Vortex neo fan aswell on my ati radeon 4850..

The case is around 17 inchies in hiehgt/length, and thinking of getting one 20inches in height and length for better airflow

I only got 1 case fan also...

Can you show me a good case / case fan which will bring down cpu heat and priced between 99p-60.00 ?

[thermal paste been applied for a week]

More about : cpu degree

a b à CPUs
June 1, 2011 11:37:34 PM

Overall dimensions don't matter that much. You don't have a picture of your layout, do you? I'd be happy to critique the airflow.
For case fans, just get something fairly cheap with decent reviews on Newegg (unless you go in for LEDs or something). I don't think you'll find that much variation in quality between brands.
Specs please, case especially.
June 2, 2011 9:57:00 AM

kajabla said:
Overall dimensions don't matter that much. You don't have a picture of your layout, do you? I'd be happy to critique the airflow.
For case fans, just get something fairly cheap with decent reviews on Newegg (unless you go in for LEDs or something). I don't think you'll find that much variation in quality between brands.
Specs please, case especially.

Yeah the system specs are

Ati radeon 4850 with a Neo vortex vga case fan on it
6Gb ram
GA-EP41-UD3L Motherboard
Intel duo core cpu e8400 3.0
500gb sata hdd

case = http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-DINOSAUR-PC-COMPUTER-CASE-ATX...

Haven't got a picture but yeah, it's pretty cramped lol..
Related resources
June 2, 2011 10:51:26 AM

thanks for the website. There isn't any front fan inside, do you think I should put a 120mm one there?
June 2, 2011 11:23:03 AM

Quote:
is there space for one there? take off the front bezel and see if there is space for one.

Yeah it says in the specifcations that there can be a 120mm in the front
June 2, 2011 11:23:30 AM

But I think it could be general air flow around the case, so I was thinking bigger case, more fans, more airflow.
June 2, 2011 12:30:02 PM

Quote:
also have you tried simply, hoovering the dust out of your case/out of your heatsink and applying new thermal paste? may dramatically reduce temps.

[EDIT]: just read youve applied the thermal paste for a week, did you apply it properly? too much/too little thermal paste can be bad also.

Well there is no dust this is a pretty new set up, only got my artic cooler last week.

Thermal paste was applied correctly, my stepdad is a pc techie, so he assures me he applied the right amount.

[not to much not to little]

I think it is the airflow..but I just can't be sure, the case is cramped tho=\
June 2, 2011 12:35:17 PM

Mmm, ps3 I'm gonna try that bios temps. Also, I've just brought a 120mm fan for the front. So I guess i'll wait till tomorow now [it gets there than] and see what difference the temps are..I think if I add it, and it goes down from 44-45idle to around 38-37...I'll most likley get a bigger case so I can fit more fans.
June 2, 2011 12:44:43 PM

Quote:
make sure you put the fron one as an intake fan, and the back one (or two if your PSU has a fan, which it probably does) as exhaust fans.

Ok,

btw, the ATX case I've got really doesn't give good airflow at all.

It's got a atiradeon 4850 with a VGA cooler on it which takes up 2-3 inches,

then the heatsink which is cramped between the graphic card and all sides of the case, it just about fit,

there is alot of space at the bottom, but ofc no fan down there so no air around that part.

Thanks for all the tips, yeah the back one right now is blowing air into the case, but the heatsink fan is like 1 cm away from it...Lol. [artic cooler freezer pro is tall and bulky]
June 2, 2011 1:00:02 PM

well the case fan is now blowing air in, I always thought the heatsink fan sucks air in, I think it does anyways.
June 2, 2011 1:02:40 PM

im gonna check whats blowing/sucking(lol) what and which way then get back.

It's annoying how, 2-4 days ago I was playing Arma2/ general games@ around 57-64 degree's and now it'#s going up to 70-80 degree's...
June 2, 2011 1:11:44 PM

Quote:
sucks air in from which direction though lol?

Ok this is whats sucking blowing etc..

Artic cooler freezer pro 7. Is sucking in air, and is facing the back of the computer.

2 Cm's from that, is a case fan, which is blowing air into the heatsink fan. [Currently taken it off because the gap between them in like 1mm. and I couldn't see what was what.

At the bottom, the VGA vortexx GFX cooler is blowing air into the bottom part of the case, [it's cold]
But the graphic card [the top part, which is hot] is near the CPU.

There is no air at the front of the case what so ever, where the HDD is, Ram, CPU [kinda] No air what so ever.

SO with the case fan on, it blows air into the heatsink which the heatsink sucks in...

I honestly don't know what the *** I'm talking about here, and hardly think I make sense.
June 2, 2011 1:12:45 PM

Also, whilst checking BIOS upon loading up. It said 65 Degree'sfor CPU. And system temp 33 degree's.

I'm now idle jumping between 43 degree's and 54 degree's.
June 2, 2011 1:34:04 PM

Quote:
you should turn that heatsink fan around so that it is blowing hot air out of the case and the back case fan to exhaust too when you get the new fan. Also what direction is your PSU fan blowing? your HDDs and ram dont really need cooling, so you dont need to worry about that too much. as for your graphics card, you dont need to worry much about that either, since graphics cards can handle tempretures way higher than CPUs can, i think ATIs threshhold is around 115C and Nvidia's threshold is somewhere near 120C.

Hi, ok I can swap the fan around to blow out now, instead of in. I always thought it needed air to be blown into tho.

And same for back case i'll swap that around.

Yeah not worried about my ATI card, it's at 33 degree's right now and 40 degrees under full load. But what im saying is, the CPU is right next to it, and the top part of the card, where it is most hottest, is right next to it..so it could also be that making it hotter.

PSU fan blows out of the case, out the back.
June 2, 2011 2:20:37 PM

Right, PS3 I'm confused about the heatsink. Do you basically want me to turn the fan in a new direction, or switch it so it's blowing air out instead of sucking air in?

Right now it's facing the back case fan. Do you want me to basically rotate it 180 degree's?
June 2, 2011 4:51:12 PM

Quote:
when the new fan arrives, you should make it so that it is blowing hot air out of the case, the rear fan should be blowing hot air out also, the new front fan should be pulling cold air in and the PSU should be blowing hot air out. i hope that makes sense now :p 

Yeah that makes sense, I'll see tomorow if the fan makes a difference.

I really hope there isn't a fault with the CPU because of this heat tho...
Because it's on 62 degree's whilst simply browsing...
June 2, 2011 8:45:58 PM

Hi mouse, i had a fan blowing in and it probley changed the heat by about 4-5 degree's? (earlier)
The heatsink was keeping cool at around 50-60 a few days ago, playing games now make it up to around 70-80.

But the computer was off a few days before I played@50-60, so I'm guessing the case temp built up and now it's 70-80

What you think?...

Also I'm getting this case, because it's got 4 case fans and a better PSU than the one I've got..

and it's more spacious.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Black-ATX-Computer-Gaming-PC-Case...
June 3, 2011 10:46:26 AM

Quote:
hm, im not sure about the quality of the metal but it looks ok, however i would look at the HaF series by coolermaster.

you will need cable management (routing cables behind the motherboard) for airflow

doesnt matter how powerful your fans are if its hitting a nest of cables :D 

i recommend the HaF 912 if its not to pricey... however if you think it looks ugly there are more options :) 

Hi, yeah I don't really care about how it looks:p  But it was a bit pricey, see'ing so I do need a new PSU aswell...So this othercase I showed comes with a 800watt PSU, a longer case, slightly more width, and 4 120mm fans.

Just a note: They are built in fans, does this mean theres only 1 connector or something? Because I'm worried my

EP41-UD3L gigabyte motherboard won't be able to plug them all in
June 3, 2011 2:19:38 PM

Quote:
when they put a case and psu together they usually cut corners, and its 99% of the time with the psu, get a new psu from reputable company like: seasonic, antec, or corsair.

i know there more pricey but they provide power to your whole system, never cheap out on a psu, they WILL kill your components

Ok i'll keep that in mind thanks.

My new fan came today it hasn't really improved the temps much atall...
the case is small. The wires are blocking the heatsink i'm sure of it..Might need a bigger case
a b à CPUs
June 3, 2011 11:39:58 PM

tilyardinit said:
Hi mouse, i had a fan blowing in and it probley changed the heat by about 4-5 degree's? (earlier)
The heatsink was keeping cool at around 50-60 a few days ago, playing games now make it up to around 70-80.

But the computer was off a few days before I played@50-60, so I'm guessing the case temp built up and now it's 70-80

What you think?...

Also I'm getting this case, because it's got 4 case fans and a better PSU than the one I've got..

and it's more spacious.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Black-ATX-Computer-Gaming-PC-Case...

you just told us that airflow wasnt the problem and yet you still think the problem is airflow? if the temps only go down by 5 degrees by taking the side off and blowing air in then i dont think the air flow into the case is the problem.

edit: airflow was the problem
June 4, 2011 7:48:50 PM

Quote:
it could be some extremely cheap thermal paste that decided to harden randomly :D 

Hi artic freezer pro 7 already had paste applied as standard, it's MX-2 paste, or MX-4 but I hear it's good. Right now, the temps are going from around 41 degree's to 50, whilst browsing, if I play a game, it jumps up to about 80-90. Where i turn of the game.

Somebody said if it only dropped by 4-5 degree's it isn't the case fan? But I've noticed something with the heatsink..

The air is going to the CPU (the cool air) but when it blows out the hot air, it's going against a nunch of wires which are about 3cm away from the fan blowing out. So I'm guessing the heat is just trapped...Can't move wires at all because case is cramped...So a case with wire routing is something I'm getting, also, with the 2 fans in, I don't think they're doing that much. So I've got this one and I'm ready to buy if you guys can confirm it's pretty good...

http://dropship.weareelectricals.com/products/NZXT-HADE...

It's got Wire route, so wires are hidden and won't block the heat. And comes with all this.

"•Dual 200mm intake Large air system: 200mm front fan, dual top 140mm fan, Side 200mm fan, rear 120mm exhaust. NZXT includes the chassis with all fans except for one top 140mm fan"
June 4, 2011 7:53:12 PM

Sorry didn't mean case fan, I meant the computer case
a b à CPUs
June 4, 2011 9:53:35 PM

tilyardinit said:
Hi artic freezer pro 7 already had paste applied as standard, it's MX-2 paste, or MX-4 but I hear it's good. Right now, the temps are going from around 41 degree's to 50, whilst browsing, if I play a game, it jumps up to about 80-90. Where i turn of the game.

Somebody said if it only dropped by 4-5 degree's it isn't the case fan? But I've noticed something with the heatsink..

The air is going to the CPU (the cool air) but when it blows out the hot air, it's going against a nunch of wires which are about 3cm away from the fan blowing out. So I'm guessing the heat is just trapped...Can't move wires at all because case is cramped...So a case with wire routing is something I'm getting, also, with the 2 fans in, I don't think they're doing that much. So I've got this one and I'm ready to buy if you guys can confirm it's pretty good...

http://dropship.weareelectricals.com/products/NZXT-HADE...

It's got Wire route, so wires are hidden and won't block the heat. And comes with all this.

"•Dual 200mm intake Large air system: 200mm front fan, dual top 140mm fan, Side 200mm fan, rear 120mm exhaust. NZXT includes the chassis with all fans except for one top 140mm fan"

i hope that solves the problem but i think that its something else. is the cpu cooler fan sucking air through the heatsink or pushing it through?
June 5, 2011 10:05:34 AM

It's sucking air into it, then I guess it's comming out of the back, where I can feel the heat. Next to the wires
June 5, 2011 10:08:57 AM

cbrunnem said:
i hope that solves the problem but i think that its something else. is the cpu cooler fan sucking air through the heatsink or pushing it through?

Also, what else do you think it is? BEcause I had the stock cooler, and that was giving the cpu temps @ 80-90.
So I switch to this artic freezer, brought it down to 40-50. But get's high under load.

Also, system temp says 29 degree's 33 degree's. So what is it?
!