Why would one ever turn off ion cannon (Large Weapons)?

Last response: in Video Games
June 1, 2005 6:09:04 PM

You know that switch, "fire ion cannon at ships with shields still up"?

Why ever switch this off?

Seems like a bit of redundant code to me.
--
Paul Honigmann
Anonymous

What is if drain is greater than output power due to design or damage?
What is if the target shall not be punished back too early?

GFM GToeroe

BTW: Do you know that IMT ram twice?

"KlingonKommand" <Paul@nurk.fnord> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:74I+$YAwNbnCFweM@furfur.demon.co.uk...
> You know that switch, "fire ion cannon at ships with shields still up"?
>
> Why ever switch this off?
>
> Seems like a bit of redundant code to me.
> --
> Paul Honigmann
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 7:34:28 PM

Third case:

Any energy excess should increase the reload of the powerbank.

"KlingonKommand" <Paul@nurk.fnord> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:74I+$YAwNbnCFweM@furfur.demon.co.uk...
> You know that switch, "fire ion cannon at ships with shields still up"?
>
> Why ever switch this off?
>
> Seems like a bit of redundant code to me.
> --
> Paul Honigmann
June 2, 2005 12:23:26 AM

IMHO

Because if the shields are still up the Ion Cannon is useless if it
fires. It does a pittance damage to shields and does not do what it is
supposed to do in the first place.. which is bypass the armor and do
damage to controls.. so you have your PTT or your PPC fire to knock out
the shields then have your ion cannons fire.

( Its like having Sandcasters keep firing on ships when the shields are
down.)

Well I guess thats how its supposed to work :)
June 2, 2005 4:16:25 AM

If you enter a battle with one ship with lets say 10IGA and 10 PPC and
the switch is on than all weapons will fire at any ship that is in
range and will execute combat as ordered. If situation comes that 2 or
more ships are in weapons range than IGA will fire on the ship that
Attack screen say (nearest, dangerous...)
If switch is off the IGA will fire at the ship that has its shield
already shoot down and may disable it quickly instead of shooting x
tics on the other ship that still has a shield, allowing both ships to
fire at you the same time.

If you fight against one other ship it would be better to switch it on.
If you use exotics shield drain its normally also better on.
But if you fight 2+ ships and have no exotic shielddrainers than
switching it off should be more efficient. The more enemy ships the
more efficient. The more IGA and less shielddrain LW (but more than 1
at least) the more sense it makes.

Loki
!