Why would one ever turn off ion cannon (Large Weapons)?

You know that switch, "fire ion cannon at ships with shields still up"?

Why ever switch this off?

Seems like a bit of redundant code to me.
--
Paul Honigmann
4 answers Last reply

    What is if drain is greater than output power due to design or damage?
    What is if the target shall not be punished back too early?

    GFM GToeroe

    BTW: Do you know that IMT ram twice?

    "KlingonKommand" <Paul@nurk.fnord> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:74I+$YAwNbnCFweM@furfur.demon.co.uk...
    > You know that switch, "fire ion cannon at ships with shields still up"?
    >
    > Why ever switch this off?
    >
    > Seems like a bit of redundant code to me.
    > --
    > Paul Honigmann

    Third case:

    Any energy excess should increase the reload of the powerbank.

    "KlingonKommand" <Paul@nurk.fnord> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:74I+$YAwNbnCFweM@furfur.demon.co.uk...
    > You know that switch, "fire ion cannon at ships with shields still up"?
    >
    > Why ever switch this off?
    >
    > Seems like a bit of redundant code to me.
    > --
    > Paul Honigmann

    IMHO

    Because if the shields are still up the Ion Cannon is useless if it
    fires. It does a pittance damage to shields and does not do what it is
    supposed to do in the first place.. which is bypass the armor and do
    damage to controls.. so you have your PTT or your PPC fire to knock out
    the shields then have your ion cannons fire.

    ( Its like having Sandcasters keep firing on ships when the shields are
    down.)

    Well I guess thats how its supposed to work :)

    If you enter a battle with one ship with lets say 10IGA and 10 PPC and
    the switch is on than all weapons will fire at any ship that is in
    range and will execute combat as ordered. If situation comes that 2 or
    more ships are in weapons range than IGA will fire on the ship that
    Attack screen say (nearest, dangerous...)
    If switch is off the IGA will fire at the ship that has its shield
    already shoot down and may disable it quickly instead of shooting x
    tics on the other ship that still has a shield, allowing both ships to
    fire at you the same time.

    If you fight against one other ship it would be better to switch it on.
    If you use exotics shield drain its normally also better on.
    But if you fight 2+ ships and have no exotic shielddrainers than
    switching it off should be more efficient. The more enemy ships the
    more efficient. The more IGA and less shielddrain LW (but more than 1
    at least) the more sense it makes.

    Loki

Switch Games Video Games