Sign in with
Your question

1st time build, help!!

Last response: in Systems
March 2, 2011 11:27:31 PM

Hey, been browsing around on the site and have to say that there's lots of knowledge floating around here so I finally got time to get back on and throw one out there.... I figured I would originally build my own system but couldn't resist the ease of cyberpower (and the price of components was pretty much spot on between there and newegg for what I'm doing).

It's time to "retire" my old Dell tower to an internet/office computer (stock Inspiron 530 with BFG 8800GT OC2, 600W PSU, 3GB DDR2). It's still got life in it, has played everything thrown at it up to COD: Black Ops with no problems displaying in 1080 res on my 24" display. Unfortunately I got Black Ops installed and refuse to lower the res under 1080, it stutters, not a lot but noticeable whenever action gets heavy.

So I've configured probably 7 or 8 times with slight tweaks on cyberpower and came up with this.. My original budget was sub-$1000 but I figure I'm close enough. The PSU has $30 MIR so saved a little there and going to do no rush shipping so that'll knock off another 5%. I basically want to have something on par to play FPS as I am a keyboard+mouse junkie for those, everything else I play on my PS3, but also want to have some wiggle room to upgrade to maybe i7 and a 580 GPU when I can scrape some more $$ together.

Oh, also to add, I am thinking of removing the 8800GT OC2 from the Dell and leaving that to onboard so I can have the 8800 as a physx card. Worth it? Didn't decide to have them to pre-OC since I read up on the MSI mobo I picked and OC'ing couldn't be easier on it, figure I can get the i5-2500K up to around 4GHz and remain on the safe side.

Case: CoolerMaster Elite 430 Mid-Tower Gaming Case with Side Panel Window [-15]
Extra Case Fan Upgrade: Maximum 120MM Case Cooling Fans for your selected case [+9]
CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-2500K 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA1155 (All Venom OC Certified)
Cooling Fan: CoolerMaster Hyper TX3 Gaming CPU Cooling Fan [-6]
Motherboard: [CrossFireX/SLI] MSI P67A-GD55 Intel P67 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, 2x SATA-III RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe, 3 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI [B3 Stepping] [+51]
Memory: 8GB (2GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory Module (Kingston HyperX)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 SE 1GB 16X PCIe Video Card [+102] (EVGA Superclocked [+15])
Multiple Video Card Settings: Xtreme Performance in SLI/CrossFireX Gaming Mode Supports Single Monitor
Power Supply Upgrade: * 650 Watts - Thermaltake TR2 RX Modular 80 Plus PSU - PN: TRX-650M [+61]
Hard Drive: 640GB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [+5] (Single Hard Drive)
Optical Drive: Sony 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive [+3] (BLACK COLOR)
Sound: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
Network: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
Keyboard: Razer Arctosa Black USB Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse
USB Port: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium [+104] (64-bit Edition)
Ultra Care Option: Ultra Enhanced Packaging Solution - Protect Your Dream System During Transit [+19]
CoolerMaster Thermal Fusion 400 Extreme Performance CPU - Thermal Compound Optimized for Thermal Dissipation [+10]
Professional Wiring for All WIRING Inside The System Chassis - Minimize Cable Exposure, Maximize Airflow in Your System [+19]
Service: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT

More about : 1st time build

March 4, 2011 1:47:05 AM

You could do a lot better on that mouse anything extreme gear branded from there is not worth the shipping weight. Also if your planning on future upgrades such as a second 570 I think was what you listed You should go with a beefier power supply at least in the 750watt range. As you said you are going to have 2 cards in there the 8800 as physx. Make sure you get a name brand reliable 80+ power supply
No extreme gear or cyberpower branded or raidmax.
If in the end your wanting to go with 2 570s in the end even an 850 would be better also since you want to oc also.
m
l
March 4, 2011 3:04:01 AM

Thanks for the comments. Not worried bout the mouse, left the default since I'm going to use a KVM so I can use my existing I/O set up.

I've been thinking I may end up doubling up on the gtx 460, getting the second later as it benches ahead of a 480 and probably wont be able to justify paying the price for a 580 until next gen comes out. So that will also buy time to upgrade the PSU from the 650w thermaltake I picked, PSU are getting cheap on newegg.

Basically want this build to drive through decent framerates for a while as I got 3+ yrs outta my current system without feeling like I had to pull the upgrade trigger. Hoping to get a similar run outta this with maybe a gpu upgrade in a year.
m
l
Related resources
March 4, 2011 3:09:12 AM

Should be good to go then running what you have listed now. Since you know what you will need when you start upgrading Id say what you have listed is fine.
m
l
March 4, 2011 3:17:25 AM

Cool, thanks for the input! Hoping the EVGA gtx 460 superclocked lives up to expectations. I still wish BFG was around, the 8800GT OC2 was a monster of a card and got me hooked on their products.

On a side note has there been anything to worry about from cyberpower? Saw a couple posts from some very unhappy people, but didn't want to let someones single bad experience spoil them overall.
m
l
March 4, 2011 9:06:24 AM

Not from my point of view, have not had an issue with them but everyone is different.
Things to look at Research research research.......
1. Get good parts.
Make sure they are compatable. Get it packed well shipping plays hell on these.\
When you get it
Check for damage.
Check to see if its your system
Check to see if its all there
Check the connections for power and cables
Check that all cards are seated.
Check that fans are there and spin freely.
Close it up boot up and see what you can see.
You usually hear real storys and a lot end up with some thing was not seated or compatible or they tried to cheap out on the power supply.
Most storys are complaints because usually people dont write in to say thanks if they get what they expect . Usually only if they have issues.
You do have to really watch their high end systems as I have repaired a few of them for friends.
m
l
March 4, 2011 10:35:24 AM

I definitely added the special packing option, I know how UPS is with "fragile" items... its like putting a bullseye on it.
m
l
!