Are small weapons simply not working these days?

Last response: in Video Games
June 1, 2005 6:27:31 PM

I get the distinct impression that small weapons only do a fraction of
the damage that they did, oh, three Hosts ago.

Try simulating a battle where two ships - any ships - use just small
weapons. They always seem to end with almost no damage to either ship,
and I think they simply stop because they get bored. To emphasize the
point, and make it simple, don't bother putting point defence on the
ships.

The addition of minor Exotic Tech (+2 armour and shield drain) makes no
difference. (And lest anyone wonder, I know ET's don't work with pulsed
lasers.)

Do other people think there is a huge bug here?
--
Paul Honigmann
June 1, 2005 6:27:32 PM

KlingonKommand wrote:
> I get the distinct impression that small weapons only do a fraction of
> the damage that they did, oh, three Hosts ago.

Well retest and watch the vcr (or a previously generated one) and look
how sw hits do reduce the shields and armor (if shields are down) of
the targeted ship - it will probably look ok.

> Try simulating a battle where two ships - any ships - use just small
> weapons. They always seem to end with almost no damage to either ship,
> and I think they simply stop because they get bored. To emphasize the
> point, and make it simple, don't bother putting point defence on the
> ships.
>
> The addition of minor Exotic Tech (+2 armour and shield drain) makes no
> difference. (And lest anyone wonder, I know ET's don't work with pulsed
> lasers.)
>
> Do other people think there is a huge bug here?

Yes we have bugs in the combat code, but what you described has
probably more to do with the premature combat ending, which happen in
many other different cases to (where ie. large weapons, fighter etc.
are present). Aside from that the combat movement might be a little bit
different from the one 3 host versions ago, meaning that they do (under
some attack settings) need more time to bring in the same amount of
shots.
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 12:25:51 AM

anychance its because the small bit of wording that stated that there
is a 50% chance that small weapons (aside from plasma guns) will just
glance the shields of an opponent and not cause damage?

Have you tried it on ships without shields (just lots of armor) if its
the same?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 4:13:10 AM

I feel that this is part of your answer.

anychance its because the small bit of wording that stated that there
is a 50% chance that small weapons (aside from plasma guns) will just
glance the shields of an opponent and not cause damage?

But I have noticed another oddity. The Scavengers have a native power
Tribe ships will overload their Small Weapons, doing double the normal
damage.
The odd thing about this is that the pulse laser winds up being a far
better
weapon with this double damage for the Scavengers than any other small
weapon
even after adding all of the exotic techs to boost small weapons which
if
the program is working correctly should only boost all of the small
weapons
except for the pulse laser. So one would think that the combined effect
should make
the plasma gun for example far more effective than the pulse laser for
the Scavengers
when all the exotics are turned on. Lets also not forget that only the
plasma gun
is immune to the glancing shield hit. And it gets double damage.
And it can hit the soft spot and it has other abilities to drain power
from the
target. Consider also the expense of all of the exotics. Now compare
the damage done
from the modified plasma gun vs an unmodified pulse laser. Which is far
cheaper
and no exotics needed. The pulse laser still outshines the plasma gun.
This should not be the case but it is in fact the case Tim!

The pulse laser can of course fire 3 1/3 times to every 1 time that the
plasma guns
fires. So it can drain 7 shield or 7 armor in the same time that a
fully modified
plasma gun can drain 17 shield or 9 armor. On a stationary target in
range.
Of course the main rub is the range difference. With the push back
effect plasma guns very seldom even get close enough in a real fight to
ever fire.
Often an enemy ships speed can carry it from
one tic being out of range to the next tic moving clear through and
past the target
ship so as to be out of range again on the other side of the ship on
the second
comabt tic. In this case during an enemy flyby the plasma gun never
even fires.
But the lowly pulse laser does fire and not once but twice at the
approach and
again as the target is leaving because of its quick recharge rate.
So even if the pulse laser fires twice in a pass it should drain 4
shield
as compared to the 1 time a fully modified plasma gun fires and drains
17 shield.
50% of the pulse lasers should miss thus draining only 2 shield per
pass as
compared to the 17 shield drain of the plasma gun which should not miss
but it has to get into range and 200 range is very close.
Further the plasma gun has a 50 acuraccy and the pulse laser only 40.
So again per shot fired I should get a higher hit percentage with the
plasma gun.
although the pulse lasers greater range allows it at least twice as
many shots
per vcr than the plasma gun. In practice this is more like 100 times
more shots
per combat vcr for the pulse laser than the plasma gun.
Simply put that is why the pulse laser is far more effective a weapon.

Ok so someone out there is thinking what about a positron.
it has a 550 range 67 accuracy and 35 pd intercept odds.
Well its recharge rate is still 10 as compared to 3 for the pulse
laser.
So we still will find at least twice as many shots per vcr fired on
target from the pulse laser as compared to the positron. Both weapons
are subject to 50% miss rate
as long as shields remain. But a fully modifed positron can drain 8
shield per hit
and the pulse laser should only be 2 per hit. Even if it get twice as
many shots
per vcr that should be still only half the total shield drain that the
positron gets.
2X2=4 as compared to 8 for the positron.

So why can I not duplicate this in a test bed simulation?
I can never get a positron equipped ship to out shield drain a pulse
laser ship.
No matter which combat switches are used, and regardless of exotics
used.
Hey here is another question the attack bonus et. It is an exotic tech
and therfore
should not increase the pulse laser ability to hit. But I should be
able to increase
the positron ability to hit by +80 wih ET's. Of course now the reverse
the enemy ship uses + 30 jammer ET's which effect my positrons but (the
pulse laser are immune
to this ET also?) Of course we also have a game configure switch which
also
disables ET for alien hulls. So how does this switch effect the pulse
laser unique
ability to also not get any ET's or does the position of this game
config switch
effect the pulse laser somehow as in bug.

Why? Because of combat vcr behavior that is why.
Ships just do not get within a 200 unit combat vcr range very often.
Why not ask Tim why not?
Perhaps the range of the plasma gun needs to be increased?
I would say 275 at least. I would even go to 290 and push the
disrupter range up to 310. We could test the results then to see
if that is a good range or if it needed further adjustment.

Now as to the doubleing of damage for the Scavengers.
I believe this only comes into play after the shields and armor are
gone.
So long as any shields or armor are left the double damage does not
happen.
I.E. the double damage applies only to the blast damage number and that
does not get used until you are hitting the hull. And because the
plasma gun
has 100 armor arc it never drains all of the armor so you never see its
damage
get doubled unless some other weapons are used that do drain all
shields
and armor first. At this point the shields are gone so the 50% miss
rate of
other small weapons is no longer is a factor.
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 3:25:33 PM

You are totaly right.

I've calculated the cost efficiency for all SmWs due to their effect/tick (including all stats) assuming the opponents has no
anti SmW PD.

Even with ETs you get most if you use PLs. One may say: And what's if the hull is expensive? Well, 1) the part of the plasmas
does small compared with the LW and 2) adding a cheap screening ship is better than using expensive SmWs.

I think Tim could make this a bit more interesting. Either by changing the basic stats and/or SmW's ET and by making the side
effects more powerful.

At the moment the most powerful weaponary for a given situation is to easy to find and that could be made more exiting and
interesting.

Would be cute to knock out a opponent by avoiding LW and chossing the right SwW mix...Where it won't work with the next enemy
becuase...You know what I mean?

GFM GToeroe

"minime-hammer" <Dctr__Evil@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:1117696390.724628.114530@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> [...]
> if that is a good range or if it needed further adjustment.
>
> Now as to the doubleing of damage for the Scavengers.
> I believe this only comes into play after the shields and armor are
> gone.
> So long as any shields or armor are left the double damage does not
> happen.
> I.E. the double damage applies only to the blast damage number and that
> does not get used until you are hitting the hull. And because the
> plasma gun
> has 100 armor arc it never drains all of the armor so you never see its
> damage
> get doubled unless some other weapons are used that do drain all
> shields
> and armor first. At this point the shields are gone so the 50% miss
> rate of
> other small weapons is no longer is a factor.

June 3, 2005 3:21:22 PM

I totaly agree, with LargeWeapons you still need to think, but for SmWs you
just choose PL and don't bother, because you don't need to ...

I would really like to see this made more a difficult choise...

splitted

"Gabor Törö" <gfm@gtoeroe.de> wrote in message
news:D 7mj42$cel$00$1@news.t-online.com...
> [...]
>> if that is a good range or if it needed further adjustment.
>>
>> Now as to the doubleing of damage for the Scavengers.
>> I believe this only comes into play after the shields and armor are
>> gone.
>> So long as any shields or armor are left the double damage does not
>> happen.
>> I.E. the double damage applies only to the blast damage number and that
>> does not get used until you are hitting the hull. And because the
>> plasma gun
>> has 100 armor arc it never drains all of the armor so you never see its
>> damage
>> get doubled unless some other weapons are used that do drain all
>> shields
>> and armor first. At this point the shields are gone so the 50% miss
>> rate of
>> other small weapons is no longer is a factor.

June 3, 2005 3:57:58 PM

I'm thinking that perhaps the recharge times of the PL (and L) need
increased if the lack of exotic bonuses for those two small weapons
isn't enough to discourage their use.
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 3:46:27 PM

I would be careful with this as the PL are essential at the moment for a
effective swarmer tactic.

Little ships with only PL occur in many situation as the most efficient
swarmer design. This is due to the knockback effect of the LW and the times
between the swarm meets its target again.

A big ship stays at the swarm if only SmW's hits impacting.

I would make the other SmW's stronger or maybe their side effects to
opponent's ship systems.

And any we should wait for the next update of the ocmbat logic anyway...

GFM GToeroe

<joncnunn@yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> I'm thinking that perhaps the recharge times of the PL (and L) need
> increased if the lack of exotic bonuses for those two small weapons
> isn't enough to discourage their use.

Anonymous
June 7, 2005 1:30:51 AM

joncnunn@yahoo.com writes
>I'm thinking that perhaps the recharge times of the PL (and L) need
>increased if the lack of exotic bonuses for those two small weapons
>isn't enough to discourage their use.

If you refer to the start of this thread, I raised the point that NO
small weapons seem effective, with the current Host (193).

So you are proposing making the best of a bad bunch, weaker.

Swarms simply won't work any more. In fact I'm not sure they work even
under Host 193, but perhaps people with actual experience of swarms
under Host 193 can say more on that.
--
Paul Honigmann
June 7, 2005 8:42:55 AM

Anyway, we all agree that the small weapons are a point to look at and
change something. Pulsed Laser is the small weapon and I would love to
see the other weapons a bit more in game. Range is a good point, but
also fighterkilling may be worth a thought for one of these. Not
overdone but a bit. And right now exotics are only helpful if you load
Tachions on your ship. They are simply not helpful for the others.
Battle is done with LW these days and the ship fighting only with small
weapons has to be dirt cheap and high attack evasive bonuses to make
sense (like the Loki) and even than Pulsed Lasers are the weapon of
choice.
I also wouldn't change the fighting stats of the Pulsed laser, but if
you would make it cost 15-20 mc instead of 10mc I would still only buy
these in 90% of cases.

In short I would love to see range enhanchments for small weapons
(maybe through ET to hold them intresting in lategame)), fighterkilling
ability of one small weapon (maybe with low acucuray), and the Pulsed
Laser a bit more expensive.

If you delay all other SW except the PL it wouldn't have a game effect
in >90% of the cases. Following this argumantation the whole SW exotic
tech matter is nearly useless.
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 5:30:13 PM

They work but it's not that easy like before.
For example if you don't get the target with the first LWs salvos then
within the time till the next rendezvous the swarm is often to spreaded.
Then one better removes all LWs.

Weakening the PL then indeed would make most swarmer tactic (if not all)
obsolete.

GFM GToeroe

"KlingonKommand" <Paul@nurk.fnord> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> joncnunn@yahoo.com writes
> >I'm thinking that perhaps the recharge times of the PL (and L) need
> >increased if the lack of exotic bonuses for those two small weapons
> >isn't enough to discourage their use.
>
> If you refer to the start of this thread, I raised the point that NO
> small weapons seem effective, with the current Host (193).
>
> So you are proposing making the best of a bad bunch, weaker.
>
> Swarms simply won't work any more. In fact I'm not sure they work even
> under Host 193, but perhaps people with actual experience of swarms
> under Host 193 can say more on that.
> --
> Paul Honigmann
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 9:10:40 PM

How do you think about enhancing the existing side effects of SmWs?
The worth of the more expensive SmWs will then in disabling expensive LWs
for example.
And range? Well, then it should be so the a range of 550 really means 550.
Right now, I have the feeling that a range of 500 has a different meaning
with SmWs, LWs, PD, SupWs and fighters. An intuitive planning of a weapon
bank design is no easy undertaking.

But before we call for gimmick after gimmick: I think the vcr code really
need to drink the waters. And I guess Tim, wouldn't mind if he gets help
(seriously meant)

- community: Please if you don't want to reply other than sarcastic then
leave it -

GFM GToeroe

"Loki" <loki.net@gmx.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Anyway, we all agree that the small weapons are a point to look at and
> change something. Pulsed Laser is the small weapon and I would love to
> see the other weapons a bit more in game. Range is a good point, but
> also fighterkilling may be worth a thought for one of these. Not
> overdone but a bit. And right now exotics are only helpful if you load
> Tachions on your ship. They are simply not helpful for the others.
> Battle is done with LW these days and the ship fighting only with small
> weapons has to be dirt cheap and high attack evasive bonuses to make
> sense (like the Loki) and even than Pulsed Lasers are the weapon of
> choice.
> I also wouldn't change the fighting stats of the Pulsed laser, but if
> you would make it cost 15-20 mc instead of 10mc I would still only buy
> these in 90% of cases.
>
> In short I would love to see range enhanchments for small weapons
> (maybe through ET to hold them intresting in lategame)), fighterkilling
> ability of one small weapon (maybe with low acucuray), and the Pulsed
> Laser a bit more expensive.
>
> If you delay all other SW except the PL it wouldn't have a game effect
> in >90% of the cases. Following this argumantation the whole SW exotic
> tech matter is nearly useless.

June 8, 2005 5:02:24 AM

I think Disruptor (crewkilling) and Phasor (podscrambling+) sideeffects
do not need to be enhanced.
But you are rite with the eye on the weapon slowdown effects. They seem
not to have an influence in game. But I think the problem is not that
the sideeffect is too weak. In my eyes the problem is that the small
weapons come seldom near enough to fire. Or an other point is to leave
the ranges as they are and give them a better accuray. AFAIK for LW
fire hit chances are range dependent. I don't know if its the same with
SmW. If so It may be a good (and easy) idea to make the hit chances on
distant targets same as point blanc.
Than SmW fire would worry people more and some people may even consider
to place some Autoblasters in the PD slots against them...

Right now the SmW are unbalanced between each other. Between LW and SmW
are also unbalances. The LW field is far better and seem much more
balanced.
There are also points that should be thought about but there is not
much damage done if it stays this way. (I consider the SC as a bit too
powerful with fighterkilling, HD destroying, 70 shield drain, only 1
effective PD to counter especially compared with the price, minerals
and tech level. But this is an other thread.) Generally the LW field
seem far better done, also in relativation with the PD field.

The vcr code, yes, also work to do but also other thread.
It might be a good idea to start a thread what the comunity ecpect from
a combat code. I thought there have been such threads in the past but I
found them (same as here) not organized and they and in 75% of cases
with a dogmatic verbal assaults ande they are seldom helpful. (I hope
not this one ;)

Loki
!