No initialze option in Disk management!

I bought a laptop Hard drive and enclosure for a backup. Instructions
say it needs to be "initialize" through disk management. The disk shows
up and I can right click on it, but initialize is not one of the
options. The only things that shows up is Properties and Help. New
Partition is grayed out. I tried it on 2 machines both running XP home,
same result.

Enclosure is Sabrent X Drive.

Any suggestions?
11 answers Last reply
More about initialze option disk management

    Nicholas <calypson@bell_axe-this_south.net> wrote:
    : I bought a laptop Hard drive and enclosure for a backup. Instructions
    : say it needs to be "initialize" through disk management. The disk shows
    : up and I can right click on it, but initialize is not one of the
    : options. The only things that shows up is Properties and Help. New
    : Partition is grayed out. I tried it on 2 machines both running XP home,
    : same result.

    : Enclosure is Sabrent X Drive.

    What kind of hard drive is it? Does it come with any install CD? I
    have bought Seagate desktop droves recently that come with an install
    CD that will initialize the disk as the only real task in the
    installation.

    Andrew
    --
    ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----

    Andrew,
    thanks for the reply. It is a Samsung. It did not come with installation
    software.

    Andrew wrote:
    > Nicholas <calypson@bell_axe-this_south.net> wrote:
    > : I bought a laptop Hard drive and enclosure for a backup. Instructions
    > : say it needs to be "initialize" through disk management. The disk shows
    > : up and I can right click on it, but initialize is not one of the
    > : options. The only things that shows up is Properties and Help. New
    > : Partition is grayed out. I tried it on 2 machines both running XP home,
    > : same result.
    >
    > : Enclosure is Sabrent X Drive.
    >
    > What kind of hard drive is it? Does it come with any install CD? I
    > have bought Seagate desktop droves recently that come with an install
    > CD that will initialize the disk as the only real task in the
    > installation.
    >
    > Andrew
    > --
    > ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
    > ----> http://www.bizave.com <---- Photo Albums and Portland Info
    > ----> To Email me remove "MYSHOES" from email address

    I'm in the same boat!
    bought a 80gig toshiba and USB housing.
    WindowsXP sees it, but won't talk to it.
    what is the next step?

    On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 15:46:49 -0800, Andrew
    <usenetMYSHOES@bizaveMYSHOES.com> wrote:

    > Nicholas <calypson@bell_axe-this_south.net> wrote:
    > : I bought a laptop Hard drive and enclosure for a backup. Instructions
    > : say it needs to be "initialize" through disk management. The disk shows
    > : up and I can right click on it, but initialize is not one of the
    > : options. The only things that shows up is Properties and Help. New
    > : Partition is grayed out. I tried it on 2 machines both running XP home,
    > : same result.
    >
    > : Enclosure is Sabrent X Drive.
    >
    > What kind of hard drive is it? Does it come with any install CD? I
    > have bought Seagate desktop droves recently that come with an install
    > CD that will initialize the disk as the only real task in the
    > installation.
    >
    > Andrew
    > --
    > ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
    > ----> http://www.bizave.com <---- Photo Albums and Portland Info
    > ----> To Email me remove "MYSHOES" from email address

    Fritz Oppliger

    Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 19:23:17 -0500

    Andrew, thanks for the reply. It is a Samsung. It did not come with
    installation software.

    Hi Nicholas... Well companies, professionals, and others sometimes use
    terminology differently. Who am I kidding? They do so all of the time.
    Anyway the term initialize generally means two things when it comes to
    hard drives nowadays.

    One of them means that there isn't even any partitions created for it
    yet. Thus you have to create one (or more). The second meaning is that a
    partition has already been created, but it needs to be formatted now. If
    you see a format option and it is a brand new drive, I would do this and
    you should be okay. DON'T DO THIS ON THE WRONG DRIVE!!!

    If format isn't one of the options, then you have to use FDISK. There is
    another term that could be associated with initialize, which would be a
    low level format. Back in the old days (in the 80's), sometimes we had
    to low format things first. But since the 90's, nobody hardly does this
    except the manufacture for a good reason. So this is only FYI only. So
    forget about this low formatting stuff.

    Before you use FDISK, please tell us what drive letter this drive shows
    up as if any. Because if you just try FDISK without knowing. The odds
    are great you will wipe out your system drive (usually drive C, but not
    always).

    Cheers!

    Bill (using a Toshiba 2595XDVD & Windows 2000)
    -- written and edited within Word 2000

    Fritz Oppliger <invalid@nospam.biz> wrote:

    : I'm in the same boat!
    : bought a 80gig toshiba and USB housing.
    : WindowsXP sees it, but won't talk to it.
    : what is the next step?

    This might be a not fun way to do it, but have you considered swapping
    it in now as a blank hard drive and booting from your recover CD? See
    if that gives you the option to format the drive. You can then later
    swap them back and see if the drive shows up now. There should be an
    easier way to do it, I agree, but this option might work.

    If you don't have a recover CD, try getting the Ultimate Boot CD:

    http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

    and see if there is a utility there that will let you format your new
    hard drive. I don't think any of these utilities will install drivers
    for USB, though, so you'll have to plug in new hard drive, boot the
    UBCD, find a format utility, format the new drive, swap drives again,
    then go back to Windows and try again with the new drive in the USB
    enclosure.

    Andrew
    --
    ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----

    On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 17:19:13 -0800, Andrew
    <usenetMYSHOES@bizaveMYSHOES.com> wrote:

    > Fritz Oppliger <invalid@nospam.biz> wrote:
    >
    > : I'm in the same boat!
    > : bought a 80gig toshiba and USB housing.
    > : WindowsXP sees it, but won't talk to it.
    > : what is the next step?
    >
    > This might be a not fun way to do it, but have you considered swapping
    > it in now as a blank hard drive and booting from your recover CD? See
    > if that gives you the option to format the drive. You can then later
    > swap them back and see if the drive shows up now. There should be an
    > easier way to do it, I agree, but this option might work.
    >
    > If you don't have a recover CD, try getting the Ultimate Boot CD:
    >
    > http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
    >
    > and see if there is a utility there that will let you format your new
    > hard drive. I don't think any of these utilities will install drivers
    > for USB, though, so you'll have to plug in new hard drive, boot the
    > UBCD, find a format utility, format the new drive, swap drives again,
    > then go back to Windows and try again with the new drive in the USB
    > enclosure.
    >
    > Andrew

    convolutions... I have considered it. And fishing for (non windows) tools
    to accomplish the task, namely linux. but the information is what's
    lacking.
    I am also trying to put off == minimize the time & frequency of opening
    the laptop since it is one of those blasted sealed units that take major
    major disassembly plus pilgrimage to the shrine of St.Tosh to swap the
    hard drive.
    (ToshA35satellite)
    having visions of trying to run it while it is all in pieces, barely
    hanging together... and sneezing...
    Thanks though,
    --
    Fritz Oppliger

    I did this once. Don't you have to right click in the left hand box listing
    the drive in disk management and choose initialize? If you right click on
    the right hand side, there is no menu.
    Terry

    >I bought a laptop Hard drive and enclosure for a backup. Instructions say
    >it needs to be "initialize" through disk management. The disk shows up and
    >I can right click on it, but initialize is not one of the options. The
    >only things that shows up is Properties and Help. New Partition is grayed
    >out. I tried it on 2 machines both running XP home, same result.
    >
    > Enclosure is Sabrent X Drive.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    Initialize in this context is imprecise. They mean that it has to be
    partitioned and formatted.

    On SOME USB external enclosures (and, more importantly, controllers)
    THERE IS NO WAY TO DO THIS -- you MUST remove the drive and temporarily
    install it as an internal drive.

    On other USB external enclosures, it can be done, sometimes via Windows
    (Disk Management), other times not via Windows but either with a special
    program that comes with the enclosure, or with some 3rd party utilities
    (such as Partition Magic). There's no hard and fast rule on this, since
    there are dozens and dozens of USB to IDE controller chips floating
    around and in use, with very different levels of OS compatability.

    [Also, in a few cases there are functions that are available in XP Pro
    but not Home, or that require administrator priviledges.]

    On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 18:13:02 -0800, "Fritz Oppliger" <invalid@nospam.biz>
    wrote:

    :>On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 17:19:13 -0800, Andrew
    :><usenetMYSHOES@bizaveMYSHOES.com> wrote:
    :>
    :>> Fritz Oppliger <invalid@nospam.biz> wrote:
    :>>
[...]

    It's much easier than you think. Flip the computer over and remove the one
    screw holding the DVD drive in place. It's pretty obvious which one it is.
    Once you do that slide the DVD drive out and you'll see the hard drive
    staring you in the face. You should be able to figure out the rest.

    Good luck.

    me/2

    On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 21:22:54 -0800, me/2 <null@127.0.0.1> wrote:

    > On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 18:13:02 -0800, "Fritz Oppliger" <invalid@nospam.biz>
    > wrote:
    >

    > :>major disassembly plus pilgrimage to the shrine of St.Tosh to swap the
    > :>hard drive.
    > :>(ToshA35satellite)
    > :>having visions of trying to run it while it is all in pieces, barely
    > :>hanging together... and sneezing...
    > :>Thanks though,
    >
    > It's much easier than you think. Flip the computer over and remove the
    > one
    > screw holding the DVD drive in place. It's pretty obvious which one it
    > is.
    > Once you do that slide the DVD drive out and you'll see the hard drive
    > staring you in the face. You should be able to figure out the rest.
    >
    > Good luck.
    >
    > me/2

    You are right.
    I thank you for saving me from major trouble!

    Now why did the ToshJocks (aka SUPPORT) tell me that "if it is not obvious
    then send it in"

    --
    Fritz Oppliger

    On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 20:58:08 -0700, "Fritz Oppliger" <invalid@nospam.biz>
    wrote:

    :>On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 21:22:54 -0800, me/2 <null@127.0.0.1> wrote:
    :>
    :>> On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 18:13:02 -0800, "Fritz Oppliger" <invalid@nospam.biz>
    :>> wrote:
    :>>
    :>
[...]

    Keep in mind that the "ToshJock" is most likely also a "HPJock" and a
    "CompaqJock" and a "DellJock" and a "GatewayJock" and an "AcerJock" and a
    "FujitsuJock" and so forth. He probably read his caller ID wrong when you
    called and didn't realize he needed to put on his "Tosh" hat to answer your
    question. :-)

    I know people who own more than one brand of computer who have called for
    support and talked to the same person even though they called different
    phone numbers and thought they were calling different support centers.

    me/2

    PS: Glad to be of help.

Laptops Disk Management Enclosure