p4nz3rm4d

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
:hello: hi all...

i recently built my new gaming pc, and am wishing to test it at a local lan...
but heres the catch... ive never been to one.
... so what do i need?
I dont have a lan port, so could you guys reccomend one? and anything else...???

Solution

Can you point out your Valvetrain in your car? Should I take your keys away?

he is asking a question so that he can learn, someone who wants to learn is way better than a stuck up person in my book..

I'd have thought it's a pretty weird motherboard that doesn't have one but any computer shop will sell you a PCI NIC for around $10 US I believe - £15 in the UK. Buy enough Cat 5 cable to go from the computer to the switch - for that you need to know where you're going and the layout of the property but ten metres will probably overdo it.

p4nz3rm4d

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
I think I am actually asking the wrong question here... I believe that I might have a LAN port on my mobo( gigabyte g31m-es2c) because it sais so, but how can I identify it? I've tried google, but nothing comes up...
If this is the case, what else would I need!
Thanx for your help!!!

bfunk_nme

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
Are you able to connect to the internet from the computer that you want to take to the LAN party? If so, how are you doing it?

Things you need to know at a LAN Party:

Make sure you have passwords on all your accounts on the computer. GOOD PASSWORDS the longer the better.

Make sure you have updated AV software installed, I like Eset.

Make sure that your firewall is enabled so that no one can get at your computer. (unless they know what they are doing.)

MAKE SURE SURE SURE SURE that you do not have any folders shared out that you do not want shared. ( Right click on your "my computer icon" and go to "manage" then on the left side click on "Shared Folders" and then "Shares" to see a list of shared files and folders that others can access on the network. Don't worry if you see some in there from the start, windows has a lot of default shares)

Also, be sure to drink lots of booze (if of age, redbull and monster if not) and have a good time!

I htink I would have concerns about letting anyone who can't find a LAN port on the back of a motherboard out of the house :D - leave along taking a valuable computer with them.[/#000ff]

bfunk_nme

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010

Can you point out your Valvetrain in your car? Should I take your keys away?

he is asking a question so that he can learn, someone who wants to learn is way better than a stuck up person in my book..

Solution

Well actually, yes I can but I take your point. However someone who can do this, quoted from Post #1 "i recently built my new gaming pc," yet cannot find the only hole on the back into which a network cable will fit does need some advice on taking it out of the house.
[/#000ff]