Upgrading Geforce 8800 GT- Need advice, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hedu

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
I just recently began playing World of Warcraft again after a year and a half absence, and I noticed that the graphics don't look so good anymore (not that they were ever that great, but still, not as good as before). I concluded that I'm probably in need of a new graphics card, as my computer is almost 3 years old now. However, I am not well versed in such matters and would greatly appreciate the advice of people who are.

I'm just trying to figure out, based on my computer's specs, what my options are, or if I need to upgrade some other things in order to get the results I'm looking for.

I would like to stay in the price range of about $200 if possible. I don't think I need anything too extravagant. I would mostly just like to play WoW to it's fullest graphical ability if that is possible for me. I want a good, solid upgrade that will give me a noticeable difference and last me a while.

Anyway, here are my specs:

Operating System: Windows Vista 64-bit
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6700 @ 2.66 GHz 2.67 GHz
RAM: 4GB
Screen Resolution: 1900x1200
Current Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce 8800 GT
Power Supply: Cooler Master RS-500-PCAR-A3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171031

I suspect that my power supply probably sucks. My old one went out when my computer was still under warranty, and this is what they replaced it with. Please let me know if I should get a better one, preferably $100 or less.

Here is a link to the exact machine that I have in case I left anything out that might be useful:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883107517

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Hedu

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010

That is very tempting. The price is wonderful. I read through the reviews and most people seemed to be completely happy with it. Excuse me for my ignorance, but would I be able to run WoW on the highest settings with that? Aside from a new PSU, it should work fine on my system, right?

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
1900x1200 is REALLLY pushing a gts 450 you would run WoW but not in ultra, i can run WoW in ultra on a 1080p tv at 50-60 fps on an asus top gts450 but thats overclocked well beyond the stock clock

a gtx 460 is a better match for your resolution as stated here

the parts tamz sent are top notch an asus 460 with a direct cu cooler and corsair psu are a winning combo if you have the cash

mrjericho1991

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
oh common now,gts 450 will be fine,if you can just turn resolution down to 1680 x 1080 to run it at ultra,its a good mid range gamers card,surely better than 8800gt and gts 250.if you are looking at something amazing then surely gtx 460 but but but gts 450 will be still my choice at that low price point!

Hedu

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
Okay. Based on what everyone has said here, I think I will go with GTX 460. I would definitely like to play at 1900x1200, so it seems clear that this would be my best choice.

Thank you all so much for your help. I really appreciate it, as I would be completely clueless otherwise.

Just one more thing: Would I definitely need to get a new PSU before I even attempt to change my card?

Your PSU has 360w on the +12v rail supposedly... it may work but even if it does I wouldn't be surprised if it dies before too long. It really isn't a good PSU and doesn't even have active PFC. If you do try it on that PSU I wouldn't overclock the card and the overclocking ability of the GTX 460(often 30%+) is one of its best features.

phenom90

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
don't save money by getting cheaper power supply.... paying more for a better model is always a good practice if you're in the long run.... cooler master has some models which are cheap than competition but still a good psu... i would suggest getting a 750watts psu if you're intend to upgrade in the future...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171053

this model should outlast you couple of years but if you sure that you never use this much... below is the model you can take...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171052

i hope this can help you... surely... if you want to buy new gpu... better get a new psu... bad idea if you stick with what you have now...

Hedu

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
I will definitely be getting a new power supply. I'm not going to take any chances. Plus, if it's crap, it should be replaced.

Thanks again, to all of you, for your advice. It's been extremely helpful to me, and I greatly appreciate it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.